scharmack

Hello So Cal

22 posts in this topic

Wow, I just relocated from the Pacific Northwest to "sunny" So cal. Seems like there must be a lot of boaters down here?? Surpprised to see no posts for the region.

I am looking for advice on where to boat,,, hope someone reads this and responds :scratchchin:

The weather has been rainy and cool but I plan on getting the boat out tomorrow (just bought it Friday)

Lake Perris ??? I guess I can post what I find after I go :boating:

There are not many fresh water lakes in so. cal. Most boaters will head east to the colorado river. You have Lake Mead out of Vegas, Lake Mohave and the river itself from Laughlin, Lake Havasu w/ the london bridge and the parker strip just south of Havasu are where most go

202.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

There are not many fresh water lakes in so. cal. Most boaters will head east to the colorado river. You have Lake Mead out of Vegas, Lake Mohave and the river itself from Laughlin, Lake Havasu w/ the london bridge and the parker strip just south of Havasu are where most go

202.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

skiya, could you check your messages, I had a couple ??'s

Welcome o the group..... :oregonian_winesmiley:

Skiya......Nice pictures. :drinkinBuddies:

Do you know when the new bridge at Hoover Dam is going to be done

Welcome o the group..... :oregonian_winesmiley:

Skiya......Nice pictures. :drinkinBuddies:

Do you know when the new bridge at Hoover Dam is going to be done

I havn't been down there in awhile. End of the year maybe. The arch was completed last summer, now they have to build the roadway on top of the arch. It was supposed to be done in 08 but high winds knocked down the the support towers and they had to install a different system.

IMG_2529-1.jpg

IMG_2537-1.jpg

Where in SOCAL are you based? I'm in San Diego Bay and enjoy the options. It is like going to Disneyworld, there are many places that provide docking for lunch and walking around, lots of activity (ie. Navy, Marine, Submarine, Dolphin training) to watch. Also the Bay is huge. Let me know if you plan a trip to SD Bay and we'll meet-up.

Our 290 is docked in Shoreline Marina in Long Beach. Lots to do and see in the harbor, great places to eat, the Aquarium of the Pacific is walking distance from the Marina.

The LA/Lomg Beach harbor area is protected by a 9 mile breakwater, so even if there are big swells outside the breakwater, you can still boat in the harbor, and visit other marinas for lunch/dinner. There are launch ramps in Alamitos Bay, near the Queen Mary in Long Beach, and the Cabrillo Beach ramp in San Pedro. If you plan on boating around here, just give me a PM and we can meet up.

Welcome to SoCal.....we kindof do both ends of the spectrum.........we love Mead, Mohave and Powell, but also enjoy Catalina & the Channel Islands....so much water and so little time......we are also heading back to Table Rock in MO again this year for the 2010 NACRU..........can anyone say convoy?

Perris is speed and direction controlled and gross. Elsinore is green and disgusting. However, some people love those little lakes.

I really like Mohave. We go out of Cottonwood cove then up towards the dam to Owl Point Cove. I think it is mile 29. We can do a Dam run in three or four hours including a gas stop. We always find great places to jump off the rocks. Only downside can be the wind.

I went to Havasu once last summer, stayed at Black Meadow Landing. Expensive, but at least we could moor the boat about 10 feet from the motorhome. Several cruises up to the bridge were really rough, but we found some great and quiet coves.

We also really like Lake Shasta.

Here is what the bridge looked like from our boat on the lake Mohave side at the end of August '09

SchonesFamilyHouseboattrip809136-1.jpg

SchonesFamilyHouseboattrip809138-1.jpg

We do some of the local lakes on afternoon trips, Castaic Lake & Pyramid are close to us. We have done Lake Havasu, Mohave & Lake Mead nice lakes lots of fun but can be way to hot in the summer. I like Mead & Mohave. We have also been up North to Lake Shasta, Lake Oroville the California Delta and Lake Nacimiento. I stay away from the Saltwater.

Hello and welcome, we boat a lot at Havasu but launch from the state parks and boat up to some coves and just hang out. Then at Mojave we launch out of Cottonwood and do the dam runs and find a quiet cove to camp overnight. I also go out to Newport and out to Catalina, but you have to be very carefull and check the tides and winds and make sure you are very thourough with the cleaning of the hull and engine after the salt water. Lake Perris is too small and crouded for us and too many locals learning ho w to use their boat for the first time. Lake Elsinore smells and has bad water but is big enough to go out on, early in the morning, and ski or just run the boat. Have done San Diego and really enjoy cruising by the warships. It's all up to your preferrance.

Saul ;)

We combine our boating with camping and pull our 220 SSI behind our motor home. During the early and late months of the boating season we go to the river and stay at Park Moabi which is close to Needles. They have campsites directly on the water with semi-private beaches. You can anchor your boat right in front of your beach. It's about a five hour drive from Orange County. Once the summer heat kicks in we head up to Big Bear lake. You have to get your wake boarding in early as the wind kicks up every day around 10 am. No problem for us, we break out the tubes and let the kids go wild until they are too tired to hold on. Big Bear lake has several other options to occupy your down time such as hiking, bicycling and off road exploring. Big Bear Lake is a two hour drive from Orange County.

We combine our boating with camping and pull our 220 SSI behind our motor home. During the early and late months of the boating season we go to the river and stay at Park Moabi which is close to Needles. They have campsites directly on the water with semi-private beaches. You can anchor your boat right in front of your beach. It's about a five hour drive from Orange County. Once the summer heat kicks in we head up to Big Bear lake. You have to get your wake boarding in early as the wind kicks up every day around 10 am. No problem for us, we break out the tubes and let the kids go wild until they are too tired to hold on. Big Bear lake has several other options to occupy your down time such as hiking, bicycling and off road exploring. Big Bear Lake is a two hour drive from Orange County.

Orange county? Do you mean Santa Ana?

We live in Los Angeles and we have gone to Castaic Lake, which is our local lake and real close to us. We have also gone to Lake Mohave, Millerton, San Antonio, Lake Nacimiento and Shaver Lake. We have camped and stayed at Hotels/Motels. All are great and we have lot's of fun. New to the Chaparral family and really enjoying our 210ssi.

Welcome to the group Fred and congrats on your boat. You might want to put your boat info in your signature so others can help you w/ boat questions when you have them, i.e. year of your boat, volvo/merc, size of motor,drive unit.

IMG_0428.jpg

Welcome to the group Fred and congrats on your boat. You might want to put your boat info in your signature so others can help you w/ boat questions when you have them, i.e. year of your boat, volvo/merc, size of motor,drive unit.

IMG_0428.jpg

Thanks. Made the changes. I should have had my wife to this. She's the expert on social media (facebook addict). I'll add some pictures as soon as I figure out how to reduce the size of our picture files.

I want to go to Powell!!!

Here is a pic of the bridge at Hoover dam from the Lake Mohave side on 6/26/10bridge.jpg

Nice picture. Just went over the bridge this last weekend. It saved us 45 minutes with traffic and the required inspection. Walls are so high on the bridge that you can't look down. Interesting sign tells "high profile" vehicles to use the left lane when crossing due to high winds that blow down the canyon. I guess the idea is that if the high winds help you change lanes, at least you will be closer to the center of the bridge to keep from going over. Nice thought!!!

Does anyone use this western forum? Looks like it's not used much?