dib52

Plano Marine going exclusively with Volvo

For all my fellow Tx boaters using Plano Marine, I heard a rumor the other day while at the boat ramp from a very reliable source that Plano will only be ordering boats into the dealership with Volvo power packages. My source was their prep guy named John. He was on the lake trialing a 2009 276 SSX. I helped him load it back onto the trailer when he was done and we got to talking. That's when he informed me that Volvo is their choice in power for 2010 and beyond. Sux, I always liked Merc. They'll still do service on the Mercs but getting one from them anymore will be a stretch. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

That is what I heard as well. Volvo is a good choice, but I have never had one. I am sure that they have their reasons for making this change.

That is interesting. I have a friend who sells Cobalts and his dealership is going totally to Volvos as well. He has worked his way up form yard man through mechanic to sales to ownership. He thinks Volvo is a better product than M.

I have a Merc.

Hummmmm... That's exactly what the guy I was talking to said. He claims Volvo out performs Merc hands down. Beginning to wonder if Volvo had some kind of a push for dealerships.

You helped John load my new boat. He was testing it for a Saturday test ride. I noted at the boat show they had a 525 276 SSX witha a volvo powerplant. Didn't think much of it at the time. Makes sense now.

Hummmmm... That's exactly what the guy I was talking to said. He claims Volvo out performs Merc hands down. Beginning to wonder if Volvo had some kind of a push for dealerships.

Dimes to dollars they are buying their way in for sure......

Looks like I may need to head to Austin for future boat purchases.....always nice to have a reason to head to Austin.... :beer-7687-1:

Nothing wrong with Volvo. I've has this one for 5 years with zero issues...........And I root for the NY Giants, Boston Red Sox, Detroit Pistons, UCONN Huskies, drive and use Honda products, and I love my (current) wife.

I'll bet there is not another person on this forum with equal passions. Hence you will never find agreement on Volvo vs Merc. It's a personal decision.

Now off my :thththsoapbox2-1::thththsoapbox2-1:

You helped John load my new boat. He was testing it for a Saturday test ride. I noted at the boat show they had a 525 276 SSX witha a volvo powerplant. Didn't think much of it at the time. Makes sense now.

Seriously... well, sorry about that. I couldn't resist. I saw it from the water(I had mine out too)and wanted to get a closer look when he headed to the ramp. BTW, sounds great when you jump on it. So, I waited at the ramp after I put mine away. Georgous boat, you got yourself one heck of a ride. I appologize for poking around in it, John said I could!

Yep also heard that Texas Marine (The chap dealer around Houston )is only going to get Volvo as well.

yea seven out drives later volvos are the way to go for sure

:angry: :angry: :angry:

it no wonder Plano is going that way

no support from them unless you count them wanting us to buy a 400

jim

yea seven out drives later volvos are the way to go for sure

:angry: :angry: :angry:

it no wonder Plano is going that way

no support from them unless you count them wanting us to buy a 400

jim

Ain't happy 'bout it either. I've been following ALL of the problems you've been having, hope everything is fix up right THIS TIME, and you have a pleasant boating season. I can understand making the decision from the economic standpoint, just wished it would have been in favor of Merc.

There has to be something that is causing the Chap dealers to go to Volvo. Must be some sort of incentive for them to do it. Maybe Volvo is offering them something that Merc isn't.

conspiracycat.jpg

I think there might be a bit of confusion regarding this manner. I just wanted to attempt to clarify a bit. Of course the best way to find out is to contact Plano (or your local dealer) to find out for sure.

There is a difference between what a dealership chooses to carry (as far as options) and what they will order for a customer.

I am sure that if you went to Plano Marine and wanted to purchase a Mercruiser powered Chaparral they would happily comply and order your boat to your exact specifications. Their decision regarding Volvo is simply pertaining to 'in-stock' boats (ie, boats they buy to have in the showroom).

For instance, your local dealer may order their in-stock boats with wakeboard towers. However you may prefer to have an Arch on your boat instead. This in no way means that you have to go outside your local market to purchase your boat. Your local dealer will be more than happy to order your boat exactly the way you want it.

I'm sure you guys are well aware that there are many reasons a dealer would prefer one brand of engine over the other, just as you, as a customer prefer one engine manufacturer over the other.

I hope this helps to clarify the Volvo/Merc issue.

Chaparral Web Team

I agree that they would order what ever option you want on one of the boats they sell, known fact. Yet if I want to buy a new 350 or 370 at this summers boat show at a large discount it will have what the dealer perfers. This is also a given. Many of the boats a dealer sells are from it's stock and not what is special order (which you pay more for). So what the dealer keeps in stock effects my choice on what boat I buy. Personnely I don't care if it is Volvo or Merc so long as I don't have problems with them.

I agree that they would order what ever option you want on one of the boats they sell, known fact. Yet if I want to buy a new 350 or 370 at this summers boat show at a large discount it will have what the dealer perfers. This is also a given. Many of the boats a dealer sells are from it's stock and not what is special order (which you pay more for). So what the dealer keeps in stock effects my choice on what boat I buy. Personnely I don't care if it is Volvo or Merc so long as I don't have problems with them.

+1 on that Mike. Yes, I have spoke with the dealer since and yes they will order anything I want, but then I get to pay sticker price for my choice. I've done that already once and would like to avoid that with my next purchase. Will I buy from my local dealer...yes, they are only a quick 15 min ride from the house. Will I get the choice in power...perhaps, but the deals and discounts will play a big role. Heck, I might find out I like Volvo, as they say... Change is(can be)a good thing!

Thought yall might like to know volvo has made the decision to no longer make any 4cly motors anymore. At all.

Actually this is a bit of a misnomer as well. It is not Volvo's decision, the engines are not compliant due to the new regulations, Mercury is offering but at limited availability. Mercury has emission credits they are using up and once that runs out they can no longer offer this engine. Our option sheet effective Jan 1, 2010 has neither Mercury or Volvo 4 cyl. engines.

I have discovered that Mercruiser is owned by the same company that owns Sea Ray. I think the math hereon out is fairly easy folks.

I have discovered that Mercruiser is owned by the same company that owns Sea Ray. I think the math hereon out is fairly easy folks.

Brunswik Corp....

Yep, Brunswick is the big dog in the boating industry. They make over a dozen different boat brands from Bayliner to Hatteras Guess what type engines they get.

I've noticed a lot of dealerships switching to Volvo.... Always had Mercs, but I hear a Volvo is a really good engine because it is designed off of a Chevrolet engine... Well, so I hear....

I think they are both great products and have had both.. I've ordered Merc in the last few boats for the performance and I am used to the features on the M products. When I was ordering my new 275ssi earlier this month I went to the Volvo web site and found it really hard to distinguish between the different models of 5.7 and 8.1 and what ones came with closed cooling. Went back to Merc and ordered the new 8.2 430 hp. Just go with what you know and have had succes with. Wish Yamaha would get back in the game too

For all my fellow Tx boaters using Plano Marine, I heard a rumor the other day while at the boat ramp from a very reliable source that Plano will only be ordering boats into the dealership with Volvo power packages. My source was their prep guy named John. He was on the lake trialing a 2009 276 SSX. I helped him load it back onto the trailer when he was done and we got to talking. That's when he informed me that Volvo is their choice in power for 2010 and beyond. Sux, I always liked Merc. They'll still do service on the Mercs but getting one from them anymore will be a stretch. Just thought I'd let everyone know.