dib52

Plano Marine going exclusively with Volvo

I've noticed a lot of dealerships switching to Volvo.... Always had Mercs, but I hear a Volvo is a really good engine because it is designed off of a Chevrolet engine... Well, so I hear....

Both companies are using legacy Chevrolet engines based on the GEN II SBC and the GEN IV BBC. The drives are what is distinctly different.

you can bet your last deer that the reason a dealer has for choosing to order their dealer stock with one package over another is pure and simple... deer... deer makes the world go round... most likely volvo pays more for warranty labor.. or their parts have more markup... something to that effect.. dealers want boats in the service dept so they aren't choosing whats the better of the two... that would mean less repairs.. longer between trade-ins.. nope... not the dealer mentality... they want it back, broken, and out of warranty...

I was at Plano Marine friday and was told that yes they are primarlly ordering VPs but are NOT droping mercs if you want a merc you can order one. My bet is the VPs are offered to them way cheaper than the mercs and that would be the only reason for switching

Both companies are using legacy Chevrolet engines based on the GEN II SBC and the GEN IV BBC. The drives are what is distinctly different.

Right on both accounts - My 5.7L Volvo is basically the old 350 chevy motor - the outdrives are a whole different story.

post-6967-1288530000_thumb.jpg

It is my understanding that the reason for ordering the boats with a Volvo vs Merc is:

More HP.

More speed.

Easier maintenance.

Lower cost.

With talking with them, don't think there is any other reason.