Kenpilot

246 SSi engine powerful enough?

23 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm looking to pull the trigger on an 06 246 SSi and was wondering if the engine in it is powerful enough for this boat. I plan on riding around with an average of 6 adults (average to small size) along with towing a skiier/wakeboarder or tube. If anybody has this set up can u please tell me what kind of performance you are getting with it and if you have had any problems. I'm more worried about the hole shot and getting up on plane and maintaining speed. Not too worried about top end speed. Thanks!

06 Chaparral 246 SSi

Volvo Penta 5.7 GI with a dual prop. (300 HP)

Wakeboard Tower

Hey guys, I'm looking to pull the trigger on an 06 246 SSi and was wondering if the engine in it is powerful enough for this boat. I plan on riding around with an average of 6 adults (average to small size) along with towing a skiier/wakeboarder or tube. If anybody has this set up can u please tell me what kind of performance you are getting with it and if you have had any problems. I'm more worried about the hole shot and getting up on plane and maintaining speed. Not too worried about top end speed. Thanks!

06 Chaparral 246 SSi

Volvo Penta 5.7 GI with a dual prop. (300 HP)

Wakeboard Tower

Might be just a bit underpowered if you have 7 in the boat(6 riding and 1 out back). She will probably chug a little. I'd rather opt for the 8.1 from either Merc or Volvo. I'm sure others will comment. Just my :Twocents: !

Might be just a bit underpowered if you have 7 in the boat(6 riding and 1 out back). She will probably chug a little. I'd rather opt for the 8.1 from either Merc or Volvo. I'm sure others will comment. Just my :Twocents: !

I beg to differ...... I almost pulled the trigger on a 246 with 300hp and IMO its plenty.

With a duel prop sould be nice boat. Runs around 50 and easy on gas.

Go for it.

matt

Get the 8.1. You'll never regret it. Little or no fuel consumption difference (unless of course you choose to go WOT all the time). Higher crusing speed, longer engine life.

Thanks for the replies! I would love to have the 8.1, but the boat I'm looking at is a used boat and thus I don't exactly have a choice on the motor. I would have to look for a different boat and in my searches for the past month I have literally found only 1 boat for sale with the 8.1 and it doesnt have half the stuff the other boat has (and has more hours and [no pricing discussion pls] more expensive). The majority of the used 246 SSi's I have found have the 5.7Gi 300 HP or even smaller. Thanks again and keep the replies coming if you have experience with this boat and motor! :-)

Oops, I should have clarified myself. 8.1 for HEAVY watersports use. The 5.7 will do just fine. Sounds like you're painted in a box. Go with the creature comforts of the one you're looking at rather than the big motor without upgrades. Then again, that 8.1 is aweful tempting and it would be better to have and not need than need and not have. But same could be said for comfort and convenience. Sorry, I just talked in circles and prolly didn't help one bit!

The small block is acceptable. The big block exceptional.

Dual prop helps. Great boat , either way.

brick

We have a 2006 246ssi with a Merc 6.2 dual prop and it does great. 6 to 7 adults should be no problem and we have pulled more people on tubes than we probably should. You will love the boat.

We have a 244 Sunesta with the Volvo DPS (300) HP, it does fine out of the hole with 6 adults and 3 kids and pulling a three person toy. If you look at the Merc or Volvo engine charts...it is recommended 5.0 for up to 4000LBS, 5.7 up to 6000lbs and 6.2 and 8.1 for greater than 6000lbs. Our 244 weights 4400LBS dry weight, with the 5.7 Volvo DPS with F4 props...will run 54 MPH WOT on the GPS with 4 adults and 3 kids. IMO the 300 HP will work fine for you, keep in mind the big block will also add more weight.

I have the 300 HP Merc in my larger 256ssi and it's fine for that many people. Go for it!

Awesome guys, thanks for all the replies! Definitely makes me feel more comfortable with putting in an offer. Thanks again and happy and safe :thl_speedboat:

We have a 244 Sunesta with the Volvo DPS (300) HP, it does fine out of the hole with 6 adults and 3 kids and pulling a three person toy. If you look at the Merc or Volvo engine charts...it is recommended 5.0 for up to 4000LBS, 5.7 up to 6000lbs and 6.2 and 8.1 for greater than 6000lbs. Our 244 weights 4400LBS dry weight, with the 5.7 Volvo DPS with F4 props...will run 54 MPH WOT on the GPS with 4 adults and 3 kids. IMO the 300 HP will work fine for you, keep in mind the big block will also add more weight.

54? I have a 224 with the Merc 350 and bravo III. I cant get 50mph with a load.

I am in the same position now that Ken was in. This will be my first boat and am very serious about a used 246 ssi, but it only has the Mercury 5.0 & 270 HP. This will mainly be used for 4-7 people (a few of them kids) and we want to water ski and/or wakeboard.

This seems like the lowest power version that was built and I just wonder if I am going to be disappointed.

Looking forward to joining the Chap family!

I am in the same position now that Ken was in. This will be my first boat and am very serious about a used 246 ssi, but it only has the Mercury 5.0 & 270 HP. This will mainly be used for 4-7 people (a few of them kids) and we want to water ski and/or wakeboard.

This seems like the lowest power version that was built and I just wonder if I am going to be disappointed.

Welcome Jeff B. You probably won't like my advice but here goes.

You're on the right track with Chaparral, but I dont like that powerplant in that boat. I assume the boat you're looking at is the Alpha I (one propeller). My current boat, the 236 is lighter than the 246 and I have the high output 5.7 (320 HP) and the duoprop drive and I wouldn't go with anything less (I'd prefer the 8.1) Had the Merc 5.0 with an Alpha I in my 210 SSI and that worked well but I would have preferred the 5.7. For reference, I typically boat with 2 adults, one teenager and 3 smaller children, near sea level.

The 246 is a great boat, but with the 5.0 it's definately underpowered. At minimum I'd want the Merc 6.2/Bravo III. Better yet, the 8.1. Underpowered boats sell for much less initially and resell for much less later down the line. I'd keep searching. If you do go with the 5.0 make sure you're geting a sweet deal.

I know I'd not buy a 246 w/ a 5.0. But..... I want to pop on plane when loaded.... plus I like to drive 45-50 mph when the mood strikes (which it does). 300 or 320 hp + DP is the right powerplant for this boat.

Maybe, just maybe the 5.0, if it has the B-III. Lot depends on your load and driving style. Don't consider it without a fully loaded test drive. Pretty iffy, IMO. Resale will suck.

Good choice on the 246 tho - I like mine very much. With the ESP it's a very roomy boat, and takes the choppy stuff well.

EDIT: I just re-read your post. I believe with 5(+) on board, getting a water skier up is..... well, I don't think you'll like it.

I have a 2004 254 with the 5.0 b3 drive. It is underpowered. It works just fine anyway. You can get a descent hole shot just put people in front. If you pull tubes and wake board its fine. Slomon skier has to be pretty good to get up. Plenty of speed. Mine with a good amount of people will run 50 +. Yes its under powered but only a small compromise is needed to make it work. This size boat is good for wakeboard and tubes not so good for skiers due to wake size. This applies to most 21ft or so deep v's unless it is a ski boat by design. If you want to just play you'll be fine more than that you wont like it.

Jay

254 Sunesta comes out of the water and stays on plane with less effort than a 246 SSi; deep 22 degree deadrise on 246 SSi. Depending on the prop(s) installed, one can get such a powered 246 to come on plane easily enough, but there might not be a lot of top end potential.

i.e. 5.0L MPI with Bravo 3 drive, 2.20 gear ratio, spinning 22" props or lower...if the 5.0L engine has a single prop drive (Alpha or SX) I'd walk away. Twin prop drive offers a lot more thrust and boat control. The 350 Mag/5.7L has more torque, thus making for a more enjoyable experience all around. I recommend going with a 300 hp or greater for the 246 SSi.

Water test the boat with 7 people; that's the only way to know what will work for you.

I owned a 2006 246SSi with the 5.0 Volvo Penta, dual prop and I was by no means disappointed. Great boat!

i've got the 5.0 mpi in my 2004 220 ssi with the aplha outdrive. In general, it's fine, and i can still tweek my package by changing the prop and adding tabs, but if i was buying and boat again, and i had the choice i would definitely go with a bigger motor. With 4-6 adults, i think ur pushing it. with that many people, i DEFINITELY feel it coming out of the hole. i don't think you'll get the hole shot ur looking for especially pulling a skier.

54? I have a 224 with the Merc 350 and bravo III. I cant get 50mph with a load.

Do you adjust the trim up to about half way after you hit about 45-48...it will slowly gain to right at 54 on the GPS (if the water is flat) Not sure if I’m special, but a friend has the 320HP in a 25 foot Azure and I can out run him, he gets me at the hole shot...but i run him down pretty fast.