lewstu59

Bought my new to me 2008 Sunesta 244 home yesterday!

Just got my first boat of a lifetime and have been reading the manual and taking it all in. I want to put it in the water this weekend but want to make sure i do it right. Any new boating abc's from you veterans.

do a search for check list

there is a thread about this and has a check list

do you have a friend that boats?

bring them along

did you buy it from a dealer?

have them run through the systems on it as well a sea trial to explain on the water

if private do the same with the old owner

take your time first few times out

patience and coomon sense will keep you safe and all around you

as well as keeping your deer in your pocket

dont try to load and unload your self

good luck

enjoy the ride

It sounds like you did not get any water time or an orientation with your dealer before taking it home. Reading all the manuals is a good first step. Making sure you have all the (Coast Guard) required safety gear and more would be a good second step. A Coast Guard or equivalent boating safety course (required in many states now) would come next. BUT...if you can't get that done before you absolutely must try out the new boat (I think everyone here would understand that) then try to get a more experienced boater to go out with you on your first cruise. Practice and slow are two words you will hear often when you first start out. You're going to love the boating experience. Oh...one more thing, make sure your drain plug is in before launching. :beer-7687-1:

Check fuel

Check fluid levels

Check battery charge.

Check and recheck the bilge plug.

Check prop nut and pin if equipped.

Check lights on boat and trailer.

Check life vests for all passengers

Get some muffs and run it in the yard practice putting it in gear fwd and rev.

Start and stop etc. (make sure water is on good when doing that btw)

(good time to check the bilge pump too)

Make a list of tools to keep on hand.

Go over launch procedures with who ever is helping you.

Put the bumpers out before you launch. (pull em in before you get underway)

... yeah were is that check list we made last year... Did that get pined ?

Most important, TAKE A BOATING SAFETY CLASS!!!!! before you try to go out.

Just got my first boat of a lifetime and have been reading the manual and taking it all in. I want to put it in the water this weekend but want to make sure i do it right. Any new boating abc's from you veterans.

One of the most important thing to do is take a boating class from the aux. coast guard.

Welcome to the forum lewstu59 . We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers for you to do (if you have not already done so) to help us help you:

1. By clicking on your name in the upper right corner to bring up your options select my profile to add into your signature your location (geographic area).

2. Also under your signature add the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.

3. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.

4. Take a minute to review our Terms of Service, again right corner. There is good information in there that you will want to know including that we cannot discuss pricing. But read some of our other posts on here to learn the work around for that. ;)

5. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.

6. Take some time to look through the Help (upper right corner) and > Info Center) located under Chaparral Boats Forum on the main page. From there you will find parts guides, brochures, manuals, specifications, canvas installation manuals, vinyl care information, square gauge setup, weather links, computer desktop backgrounds, etc. Lots of good stuff there for you and your Chaparral!

7. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger.

:thsmilie_water_119-1:

If this is your first boat, take it to the ramp without a crowd. Practice backing down and put the boat on and off a few times. You will get a good feel for how deep to sink your trailer. Most lauch facilities will have a safety day it is usually free (at least in my area) and they will inspect your boat and provide you w/ good tips. Inspection sticker is placed on Port side windshield. General safety items, lifejackets, flares, fire ext.,etc.

Develop your own checklist and carry it with you as the excitement of getting into the water can cause a brain fart. ie. forgetting to remove a strap from the boat/trailer, drain plug etc.

good luck and post some pics.

If this is your first boat, take it to the ramp without a crowd. Practice backing down and put the boat on and off a few times. You will get a good feel for how deep to sink your trailer. Most lauch facilities will have a safety day it is usually free (at least in my area) and they will inspect your boat and provide you w/ good tips. Inspection sticker is placed on Port side windshield. General safety items, lifejackets, flares, fire ext.,etc.

Develop your own checklist and carry it with you as the excitement of getting into the water can cause a brain fart. ie. forgetting to remove a strap from the boat/trailer, drain plug etc.

good luck and post some pics.

Thanks for the tips...BTW, your boat is beautiful and so is your family! I have been looking everywhere in the manual for the location of the transom drain plug on my boat. I saw a brass plug just below the stern drive to the bottom right. Is this the drain plug everyone is warning me about? Do I get to it from the engine area? Your assistance with this would be great. I bought the boat thru a personal sale and did not get an orientation. I have called the chaparral dealer to seek his assistance with an operations orientation.

Thanks again!

Under the drives in the center of the boat on the outside is a drain plug. Most screw in. Some are brass, some are plastic. On some boats they simply compress rubber to seal the gap.

Water will eventually find its way into the bilge. (the area under the motor) If a lot get in there then the bilge pump is supposed to eject the water via a hose and above the water line port.

When you pull the boat out via a trailer then most folks will lift the drive and take out the plug to drain any water the pump can not get to. Mine is made so that you can not remove the plug from the hole all the way it has a strap on the inside.

In any case you don't want to forget to put this critical plug in BEFORE you back it in the water.

Been there done that with my fishing boat. :)

Thanks for the tips...BTW, your boat is beautiful and so is your family! I have been looking everywhere in the manual for the location of the transom drain plug on my boat. I saw a brass plug just below the stern drive to the bottom right. Is this the drain plug everyone is warning me about? Do I get to it from the engine area? Your assistance with this would be great. I bought the boat thru a personal sale and did not get an orientation. I have called the chaparral dealer to seek his assistance with an operations orientation.

Thanks again!

Probably a good idea to seek out who will perform winter services or general services. They should be happy to provide a "how to" on all your features. If not look for another dealer, if they are not willing to spend time w/ you then you should not give them your deer. Most boat owners develop good relationships w/ their marinas and in return provide return business. Not knowing your boats features such as battery locations, how to properly start, type of fuel, service intervals can ruin your experience on the water if a simple mishap occurs. Also, make sure you know how your trailer brakes work if you have them. I had someone pull my emergency lever while I was on the lake and ended up driving 15 miles w/ the trailer brakes engaged. thankfully a passing driver signaled me before any damage happened. again, should have been and now is on my checklist before i ever get underway.

good luck & post some pics I still have 30 days to wait until I can use mine.

post-2837-1268770000_thumb.gif

Thanks again!

Lewstu, the transom plug would be screwed into the hole you see at the bottom of the boat in this picture i've attached. Mine is currently out in this picture

One more thing, buy Chapman's Piloting. It's the boater's Bible. And read the parts that apply to your situation.

welcome and congrats on your new boat. The 08 Sunesta 244 is an awesome boat, no bias, really :oregonian_winesmiley: . As others have said, take the time to get to know her and hit the lake during a weekday when it will not be as crowded. Nothing like a crowd to increase the nerves.

One of the biggest challenges for any boat is knowing how she handles at slow speeds. If you get a good feel for how she reacts and how quickly she reacts when you are in and around other boats, docks, ramps, life on the open waters is much more enjoyable.

All the best,

:beer-7687-1:

Congrats on your first boat! While I am a new Chap owner... I've own a boat my whole life and I can tell you the advice you're getting here is great... ... especially learning how to handler her at slow speeds. This is where you can really tear up your boat and other boats around the dock or landing. Take her out by yourself somewhere and practice "parking" her in certain spots. Try reverse and sharp turns at slow speeds to give you a feel how she will react. This will also help you gain a little respect at the marina.

Don't worry... you'll get the hang on her. It's a fun time for all! :D

In addition to all the great advice you're getting here - I highly recommend you get yourself a copy of "Chapman Piloting & Seamanship" by Charles B. Husick

Mandatory (and really fun) reading and just a total wealth of good information for any type of boater. You'll keep it for life.

I'm "in the same boat" with being a first time owner with lots of questions. There's so much great advice here in the Forums. I can't wait to pick up the newest family member. 2006 220ssi

I'm "in the same boat" with being a first time owner with lots of questions. There's so much great advice here in the Forums. I can't wait to pick up the newest family member. 2006 220ssi

Congrats on the new boat!!!

Welcome to the forum Escape Plan B . We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers for you to do (if you have not already done so) to help us help you:

1. By clicking on your name in the upper right corner to bring up your options select my profile to add into your signature your location (geographic area).

2. Also under your signature add the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.

3. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.

4. Take a minute to review our Terms of Service, again right corner. There is good information in there that you will want to know including that we cannot discuss pricing. But read some of our other posts on here to learn the work around for that. ;)

5. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.

6. Take some time to look through the Help (upper right corner) and > Info Center) located under Chaparral Boats Forum on the main page. From there you will find parts guides, brochures, manuals, specifications, canvas installation manuals, vinyl care information, square gauge setup, weather links, computer desktop backgrounds, etc. Lots of good stuff there for you and your Chaparral!

7. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger. :thsmilie_water_119-1:

Congrats on your new toys both of you. Looks like everyone has just about covered the basics. spring is here and a good time to practice for summer. You will get the hang of it soon enough. Good luck and happy boating.

IMG_3020.jpg