skiya

Lake Powell

What happen to all the treads of Lake Powell? Anyway, I have rented a houseboat 2nd week of July if anybody is going to be out there let me know. Got a smokin deal at 50% off, w/ that discount I couldn't afford not to go.

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg

Plan to arrive the Tuesday after Labor Day and stay for a week - as usual. Families that have kids are back in school, and I have much of the lake to myself. My favorite lake -- period.

100_3022.jpg100_3031.jpg100_3034.jpg

Plan to arrive the Tuesday after Labor Day and stay for a week - as usual. Families that have kids are back in school, and I have much of the lake to myself. My favorite lake -- period.

100_3022.jpg100_3031.jpg100_3034.jpg

Roy, we will be there Sat. before Labor Day to the following Sat. You'll have to come visit us aboard the Johnny Quest......

IMG_5404.jpg

Visit?

With the size of that thing he could move in and you would still have to set a time and place to meet! :)

-David

Roy, we will be there Sat. before Labor Day to the following Sat. You'll have to come visit us aboard the Johnny Quest......

IMG_5404.jpg

Sounds like a plan. I look forward to it. Same location this year? I will have my maps/charts at TR when we meet this summer.

Sounds like a plan. I look forward to it. Same location this year? I will have my maps/charts at TR when we meet this summer.

This pic was taken in Oak Bay, about the 55 mm, just a couple miles upstream and around the corner from the Rainbow Bridge canyon. We frequent that alot because it always has good houseboat beaches. We usually do a full run up the lake first day up to this area - this puts us in speedboat range all the way up to the Escalante river canyon or farther, and not far from RB bridge for the new folks and Dangling rope for supplies if needed. Lots of cool narrow slot canyons to explore around there also. Midweek we move the houseboat down to the Padre Bay/Gunsight area, then spend the final night in the Marina at Antelope Pointe.

Will coord with you at TR. Hooking up on Powell is easier than it used to be - actually have some cell phone reception if you know where the sweet spots are.

IMG_5421.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_5413.jpg

Scooter, I rented my first houseboat for this summer and the question I have is hooking up the boats for the tow. I see you have three in tow, we will have two. Is it a fairly easy task? Any tips I should know?. What about when you stop /slow down w/ boats in tow? Thanks in advance......Ed

Sounds like a plan. I can also be your resupply person if you need something from Page.

Rainbow Bridge (the entrance) is normally my first stop each year. Recall that I let my father off (ashes) at the entry point in 2006. So, I stop by to chat for a while.

100_2041.jpg

Great place.

Scooter, I rented my first houseboat for this summer and the question I have is hooking up the boats for the tow. I see you have three in tow, we will have two. Is it a fairly easy task? Any tips I should know?. What about when you stop /slow down w/ boats in tow? Thanks in advance......Ed

Two is pretty easy, three is very stressfull......Secret is do things fast, no dilly dally. Have all of your ropage prepared in advance for quick hookup, and don't have a boat load of people to transfer. The house boat has alot of inertia - when hooking up let it bleed it all off, bring one boat in from one side (at least a 45 degree angle out), jump off and push away, then the other from the other side. Then idle the HB away and they should start trailing nicely. Remember to put the trim up on the outdrives as you are shutting it down and hurrying up to jump off..........

If there are any winds you need to read them and adjust appropriately. The side of a houseboat has more surface area than good sized sailboats, so they get blown (which btw make sure you dig anchors in good when you stop to camp).

To release the boats is easy, once the HB slows enuf just pull one boat in and be gone, then the other.

Sounds like a plan. I can also be your resupply person if you need something from Page.

Rainbow Bridge (the entrance) is normally my first stop each year. Recall that I let my father off (ashes) at the entry point in 2006. So, I stop by to chat for a while.

100_2041.jpg

Great place.

Yes, my last trip up there involved leaving some ashes in a couple of different memorable spots......It's a good place to be...

Two is pretty easy, three is very stressfull......Secret is do things fast, no dilly dally. Have all of your ropage prepared in advance for quick hookup, and don't have a boat load of people to transfer. The house boat has alot of inertia - when hooking up let it bleed it all off, bring one boat in from one side (at least a 45 degree angle out), jump off and push away, then the other from the other side. Then idle the HB away and they should start trailing nicely. Remember to put the trim up on the outdrives as you are shutting it down and hurrying up to jump off..........

If there are any winds you need to read them and adjust appropriately. The side of a houseboat has more surface area than good sized sailboats, so they get blown (which btw make sure you dig anchors in good when you stop to camp).

To release the boats is easy, once the HB slows enuf just pull one boat in and be gone, then the other.

Oh, one more thing, when you slow down to stop while towing, never put the HB in reverse, especially if your tow ropes don't float. I've been down there with dive knives and snorkels cutting both of the Hboat props free while the wind was pushing us toward a nasty predicament........

We have our trip this year planned for August with three other couples (cobalt & SR folks.......ugh)......looking forward to the Powell trip as much as the NACRU trip......I'd guess this year we'll do over 7,500 miles with the trailer behind the F350 what with NACRU, Powell, Mead, Mohave and the ocean trips......

We have our trip this year planned for August with three other couples (cobalt & SR folks.......ugh)......looking forward to the Powell trip as much as the NACRU trip......I'd guess this year we'll do over 7,500 miles with the trailer behind the F350 what with NACRU, Powell, Mead, Mohave and the ocean trips......

Worth every mile and each farthing invested. 100_3023-1.jpg

Still at the top of the bucket list..

I just told the Admiral about the Half-off.....

Gonna have to wait till...2012

We Love!!! Powell. When are you going to be there in July. We haven't made plans yet, but July is in our usual time frame. Probably want to stay away around the 4th, but then again the fireworks show from Page is pretty fun to watch.

3678856515_11c0865e90_o.jpg

One more suggestion for towing boats behind the HB use different length ropes for just in case. I have 3 trips planned this year to Powell. Mid April, Mid May and last week of July. Hope you guys enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

We Love!!! Powell. When are you going to be there in July. We haven't made plans yet, but July is in our usual time frame. Probably want to stay away around the 4th, but then again the fireworks show from Page is pretty fun to watch.

3678856515_11c0865e90_o.jpg

Tainted,

Love your boat! I am taking my family to Lake Powell June 12-24. This will be the first time we have gone for 2 weeks and we are really excited. This will be our first trip with our "new-to-us" 1989 2100SX. Looks very much like yours!

We launch out of Page, AZ. with a Laketime houseboat, Misty Morning. If you see us out there say hi!

Tainted,

Love your boat! I am taking my family to Lake Powell June 12-24. This will be the first time we have gone for 2 weeks and we are really excited. This will be our first trip with our "new-to-us" 1989 2100SX. Looks very much like yours!

We launch out of Page, AZ. with a Laketime houseboat, Misty Morning. If you see us out there say hi!

Two weeks wow, We'll be out there the week after the 4th, July 12-16, Mon.-Fri. The start of monsoon season, should make for some interesting skies at sunrise and sunset. I see you live in Littleton, the admiral's sister lives there also. Just around the corner from Chatfield H.S., small world.

We are still trying to nail down a date. We usually camp at lone rock beach and cruise the lake from there. We have put 150 miles in a day on the old girl, up to rainbow bridge and back, and exploring in between. It would be great to see another 2100SX out there.

I just made reservations today for memorial day. We're staying at Wahweap and making day trips. We usually hang between Wahweap Bay and Padre, unless we have to take someone to Rainbow or we need ice cream and dangling rope. We may go back later in June and do some camping.

We really only go to Powell anymore, it's worth the drive.

post-3033-1271910000_thumb.jpg