Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mnchap

Slip experience

8 posts in this topic

I will have a slip for the first this summer. My boat doesn't have bottom paint. Anyone have experience with the condition of your hull after a season in the water?

If you will keep the boat in the water all season, it would be my suggestion that you either bottom paint the boat or put it on a lift.

I will have a slip for the first this summer. My boat doesn't have bottom paint. Anyone have experience with the condition of your hull after a season in the water?

Mine floats in Lake Minnetonka for 6 months each year without bottom paint. Each weekend I spend some time lightly scrubbing around the waterline with a Scotch-Brite Tub & Tile scrubber to keep the algae and dirt at bay for appearances and then each winter when I haul out the pressure-scrub the bottom before storage. We don't get any barnacles, mussels, etc. growing on the bottom so it's typically only algae that doesn't affect performance much. Each time you see a boat come up out of the hole you will notice the dirty bottom but otherwise no issues. I see you own a trailer, so you could pull it out once or twice a summer to clean the bottom if you wanted to.

Don

If you don't pain the bottom, at least have a barrier coat put on. This won't keep the bottom clean, but it will prevent osmosis in the gel coat and prevent blisters.....

If you don't pain the bottom, at least have a barrier coat put on. This won't keep the bottom clean, but it will prevent osmosis in the gel coat and prevent blisters.....

Agreed with that! +1 Do some searches about osmosis and blisters. They are not only ugly, they are expensive to repair. Barrier coat at a bare minimum will help protect. Or a lift as an alternative. Just don't leave it sit in the water unprotected.

Agreed with that! +1 Do some searches about osmosis and blisters. They are not only ugly, they are expensive to repair. Barrier coat at a bare minimum will help protect. Or a lift as an alternative. Just don't leave it sit in the water unprotected.

Thanks for the tips - I'm looking into getting a barrier coat. The hull is currently perfect - I want to keep it that way!

I would agree with Don, We have kept our boats in the water for the past 5 years and have had no problems with blistering or other gel coat issues. We just have it waxed every year at the beginning of the season and bottom cleaned at the end of the season and you will be good to go. I you look around MN lakes you will find very few boats with bottom paint. The exception is for those that are on the river.

Jim

I would agree with Don, We have kept our boats in the water for the past 5 years and have had no problems with blistering or other gel coat issues. We just have it waxed every year at the beginning of the season and bottom cleaned at the end of the season and you will be good to go. I you look around MN lakes you will find very few boats with bottom paint. The exception is for those that are on the river.

Jim

I'm getting the same message from several marinas as well around here. Bottom paint is a death knell to resale value on a boat under 25' in MN (even if you do it for the right reasons). Considering the relatively small investment I made in my boat, I can't justify the cost of a barrier coat and bottom paint. I'm going without and will keep you all informed how it goes after this season!