referee77

Radar Arch...bolts & washers

80 posts in this topic

Hi everyone...

Spend pretty much all day yesterday working on the boat.

I was working on the generator (replaced the battery and checked all connections, etc.) and at one point I managed to twist myself around, upside down, and had a clear view up the side PORT side of the boat towards where the Radar Arch is bolted to the boat.

I didn't like what I saw. I called to the admiral to pass me the camera so I could snap a few photos.

Photo Looking Up from Engine Room

IMG_4286800x600.jpg

Bolt #1 (Closest to stern) - Looks okay, but could use a larger washer?

IMG_4288800x600.jpg

Bolt #2 (Middle bolt) - Did NOT like the looks of this....

IMG_4287800x600.jpg

Bolt #3 (Closest to the bow) - Also looks a little warped...

IMG_4289800x600.jpg

Any suggestions on replacing the washers?? Should I get special ones or just head to the local hardware store and pick up some big stainless steel ones?

maybe a support bar to run all 3 bolts so to spread the force around............

tight to do it but would fix it once.................

I agree, if possible a 1/4 x 1.5 aluminum flat bar would really fix it once & for all. Just a tight fit to work on

i have just much larger washers on mine.....but i am smaller....

I've never done it before, but be wary of loosening all the bolts on one side at once. I'd hate for your arch to come crashing down (not that it would, but I wouldn't try it).

Good find and good suggestions with a support bar to span all three bolts. I'm going to check mine this week/end.

Good luck!

That is just plain scary! I think some nice large heavy SS washers would do the trick. The question I have is how do you get on the head of those bolts?

They may be carriage bolts. (just a guess)

I would hope that they are carriage bolts or they will be a big pain in the rear.

The problem with a plate is your going to have to remove all the nuts at the same time so be careful.

Might want to secure it fore and aft so it does not move on you.

I wonder if you notched a plate if that would work. Would not be as strong as center holes but would be easier to install.

Warning ascii art ahead...

|----| |-----| |-----| |----|
|....|_|.....|_|.....|_|....|
|___________________________|

looks like one of those QC things that pop-up from time to time. They need to be a little more diledgent at the factury.

Sad..........Webbie you guys watching this stuff.... :angry:

looks like one of those QC things that pop-up from time to time. They need to be a little more diledgent at the factury.

Sad..........Webbie you guys watching this stuff.... :angry:

Agreed.

I'm no boat builder but I've been building commercial buildings for 15 plus years and it's pretty obvious those washers were never adequate. Looks like they do need to get a handle on QC. You do need a custom fabricated plate not more washers. Three 2" square plates 3/16" or 1/4" thick with a drilled hole or a notched plate to cover all three like Chief noted should work.

I'd be checking my tower right about now if I had one.

Someone at chap should be fixing this not the owner.

We expect better.

Wow, that looks cheap. I better check mine when it comes back from service.

While a plate could be made, you should be able to use some big stainless fender washers. We have a boat shop here that sells some pretty thick ones that would well cover the holes and have enough meat to clamp the surrounding fiberglass. That way, you can replace them one at a time.

Thanks for posting this. This is something I would have never thought of.

If I were u I would buy a small piece of flat stock steel and use that as a backer then put the washers and nuts on. the holes are too big and washers will eventually do the same thing

I am shocked there is no backing plate there to distribute the force of those bolts and that looks like regular Home Depot washers. I'll be checking mine if I can get in there. Shocking.

Well I have the stainless steel arch so I don't have that problem, but I was cleaning out my ski locker and I found little pieces of broken glass. It looks like automotive glass, I have also found large washers. The washers I have found are in the bilge area and the ski locker.........Where are these washers from? Why is there glass in my ski locker??? Who does the QC at Chap? I love my boat but I think the QC should be re evaluated! :angry2:

I have found such odd stuff floating in the enginer compartment. Some may be due to the dealer cleaning the boat. They could have busted and replaced a window during transport and some of the glass got down below.

I too have found all kinds of crap in my boat left there from the factory. I had a plastic bag, extra foam pieces and a few washers in the forward bilge that found there way under my bilge pump float switch. I was wondering why the pump was running one day after I got back from a trip. I cleaned it all out and found other "left over" hardware. Someone needs to be more careful on that assembly line.

WOW...thanks for all the responses everyone!! Good to know I am not the only one concerned with the discovery. I am going to try and get a look at the starboard side and see if it's the same scenario on that side (pretty sure it will be).

Well I have the stainless steel arch so I don't have that problem, but I was cleaning out my ski locker and I found little pieces of broken glass. It looks like automotive glass, I have also found large washers. The washers I have found are in the bilge area and the ski locker.........Where are these washers from? Why is there glass in my ski locker??? Who does the QC at Chap? I love my boat but I think the QC should be re evaluated! :angry2:

Central ... I LOVE your boat !!! Awesome colour !!!!!!! :oregonian_winesmiley:

Wow, definitely a concern. Good find Ref....even though mine is vintage Chap I will be checking my Arch bolts.

It is indeed a tight fit in the engine compartment. May have to send in a small person for the fix....watch out for the child labor laws...pay cash only. closedeyes.gif

Thanks CJ ORCA, originally the colour wasnt my first choice, but since the dealer had it in stock and the price was right, I learned to live with it. The colour has grown on me, and I now like it! I like your boat as well, it is a shame about the shoddy workmanship that was put in to putting the arch together. I think a lot of us have found a few extra washers,foam pieces,(broken glass), etc. Good Luck with the fix!

Thanks CJ ORCA, originally the colour wasnt my first choice, but since the dealer had it in stock and the price was right, I learned to live with it. The colour has grown on me, and I now like it! I like your boat as well, it is a shame about the shoddy workmanship that was put in to putting the arch together. I think a lot of us have found a few extra washers,foam pieces,(broken glass), etc. Good Luck with the fix!

I Love the Colour... VERY sharp !

I've already spoken with our Mechanic (he rocks)... he's said he's not suprise to see this... He's seen it before... and actually said whenever he installs a tower/arch of anykind - he usually throws out the mounting hardware and fabricates his own with custom made backing plates for better strength...

Soooo now - I guess will see what Chap has to say....

They were in touch with the Hubby this AM about the helm seat...which was nice... :clapsmiley:

glad we figured that out....(instructions on swiveling that helm seat should be in the manual one would think ??? - since there is a trick to it)

Okay...the starboard side it A LOT harder to access than the port side. The starboard side has all the blower hoses and out THREE sub-woofers take up a lot of room too... :wub: :wub:

Anyways, I was able to grab a few photos of the bolts on the starboard side...which looks better than the port.

Also, it appears there are FIVE bolts on the starboard side?????? I only saw three on the port side....maybe I just couldn't see the other two??

Can anyone confirm exactly how many bolts are on each side?? (Webbie??)

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

mine does have larger washers..lucky i guess, did look like some of the holes were made and then filled in?, your u-tube will be number 1 next week watch...