Sign in to follow this  
IEDHUNTER

Battery replacement

Well after trying to charge the batteries for 24 hours and still nothing,, I came to the conclusion that the batteries were dead and even CPR was not bringing them back,, so i went and bought 2 new deep cycle marine batteries,,, by saturday she should be in the water... ohhh also am replacing the obsolete am/fm cassette stereo that is in the cabin.. crossing fingers hope all goes smoothly. post-7288-1271730000_thumb.jpg

ohhhh did i buy the wrong ones,,,, cant I use the deep cycle ones for the engines, they have 750 cold crank amps so i thought they would be ok...

ohhhh did i buy the wrong ones,,,, cant I use the deep cycle ones for the engines, they have 750 cold crank amps so i thought they would be ok...

Do not use deep cycle batteries for starting batteries, that's not what they are designed for. Not sure what engines you have but the Volvo Penta owners manual specifically states not to use deep cycle batteries for cranking batteries because it can harm the engine electronics.

Do not use deep cycle batteries for starting batteries, that's not what they are designed for. Not sure what engines you have but the Volvo Penta owners manual specifically states not to use deep cycle batteries for cranking batteries because it can harm the engine electronics.

I have 2 165 hp mercruisers 4 cyl. but i will bring them back and get the other type of batteries,,,, Thank you... God I love this site.

I have 2 165 hp mercruisers 4 cyl. but i will bring them back and get the other type of batteries,,,, Thank you... God I love this site.

Don't take them both back. Keep the one deep cycle battery for your house battery and then get a cranking battery for the engine.

All the (5) batteries on my boat are Trojan SCS200 deep cycle batteries, all installed by dealer. They are doing just fine as starting batteries for the 350 Mag Mercs.

How many batteries do you have on the boat. I would expect that there would be two starting batteries and a house battery. You could keep the two deep cycle and connect them in parallel so that you would have more reserve on the house side. Then get two starting batteries.

Both of my batteries are deep cycle and since I do not start the boat a lot in the winter (i.e needing the extra cranking amps)they work fine. As a side perk if they happen to get low on charge during the summer/winter, they recover better than starting batteries. That said, I do not have any warnings in the manual or elsewhere about using deep cycle versus starting.

I think we confuse the heck out of new boaters... :scratchchin:

Both of my batteries are deep cycle and since I do not start the boat a lot in the winter (i.e needing the extra cranking amps)they work fine. As a side perk if they happen to get low on charge during the summer/winter, they recover better than starting batteries. That said, I do not have any warnings in the manual or elsewhere about using deep cycle versus starting.

I think we confuse the heck out of new boaters... :scratchchin:

Newer Volvo with the fuel injection and electronics does have a warning for not using deep cycle on them. Merc does not have such a warning.

Newer Volvos it would be BAD. For for older 4 cylinder Mercs I doubt you'll have a problem with the deep cycles - the CA and CAA should be PLENTY for a small 4 cylinder.

Newer Volvos it would be BAD. For for older 4 cylinder Mercs I doubt you'll have a problem with the deep cycles - the CA and CAA should be PLENTY for a small 4 cylinder.

Whats a "newer" Volvo? I have a 99 233 with a 7.4 Volvo Gi that I've been starting with Optima deep cycles for 6 or 7 years without trouble. I had no idea it was an issue.

I have 3 Batts, so whats the worse that can happen,,,, i need to buy more batteries later on down the road,,, I think that seeing how my boat will be in a wet slip here in South Carolina all year long i intend on taking it down to Cape Coral, FL in the winter a few times to visit family I dont think it will be an issue after all the input and research i did yesterday..

Thanks to every one.

If you have the newer (not sure starting what year but mid to late 2000's easily) Volvo ECM (engine computer) it will fail from the voltage dips of the deep cycle batteries versus the constant higher voltage of a starting battery.

These computers are 1200 deer EACH! it's a very expensive mistake...

ok so i went and changed 2 of the 3 batteries,,, the 2 that were together,,, and i have cabin power but nothing on my dash,,, no dash lights,,, i can turn on the wipers, horn cockpit lights and nav lights... but nothing on my guages at all..... did i miss something.

Newer Volvo with the fuel injection and electronics ...

Not the case here, (1987 Chaparral 278 XLC Twin 165hp Mercruiser) again, I think we confuse the heck out of new boaters by throwing in a bunch of non applicable stuff... :slap:

ok so i went and changed 2 of the 3 batteries,,, the 2 that were together,,, and i have cabin power but nothing on my dash,,, no dash lights,,, i can turn on the wipers, horn cockpit lights and nav lights... but nothing on my guages at all..... did i miss something.

Ok, have you checked to make sure all of the electrical connections at the battery were made? Sometimes there are separate wires that go on the battery posts that are easy to miss.

Might try moving the batteries around to see if the problem travels with the battery that was not replaced.

Is it just a helm light problem, everything else on the helm works? If only the helm lights are the problem, turn your nav lights on to check your helm lights. Check for a helm light dimmer control (probably round), check fuses, check bulbs.

If all that checks OK, might be a wiring problem or loose connection (a multi tester comes in handy for tracking this stuff down).

If all this checks alright, you might want to go to Home Depot and get some Gremlin traps. :D

PM me for my address and I'll sell you some Gremlin Traps!!! The good ones!!! 50 deer a piece.

This is with the ignition key turned on and battery switch set for both or 1?

Fred don't mess with the new guy, he knows how to make things go boom.

What do you mean by "the 2 that were together"? What is the voltage of the remaining one reading (stop by Lowe's and buy a DVM if you don't already own one - you will NEED it)?

Did you turn the ignition key to the accessory position?

By the way, I have 3 dual purpose batteries, and have had no problems....yet. Only been trying these out for two years so far (since I've fixed my charging issue).

This is with the ignition key turned on and battery switch set for both or 1?

Fred don't mess with the new guy, he knows how to make things go boom.

Ok the Guest knob has OFF, 1, Both, 2,,, i put it on Both,. and yes when i turn the keys still nothing,,, im gonna go buy a tester and also swap out the 3rd battery,,,, the other two that i took out were so dead... ,,,, i still think im missing something though.. i called the previous owner waiting to hear from him... maybe there is another kill switch or something.

Sounds like a fuse or breaker. You could have shoted something hooking them up or removing them.

Sound like you are doing things right and may have a loose connection or circuit breaker / fuse. The only way to get to it is with a meter. I take it that the motors are not turning over either.

Sound like you are doing things right and may have a loose connection or circuit breaker / fuse. The only way to get to it is with a meter. I take it that the motors are not turning over either.

YEEE HAAAAAA ok well swapped batteries, and low and behold it worked,,,, it must be my right voltage meter that doesnt work,,,, the left one does,,,, but engines tried to turn over i just hit the ignition for a fraction of a second to make sure that it got juice to the engines... didnt really turn them over,,,,, now my next question is to come lol the #%^$&%$ trim tabs,,,, I dont know how to straighten them out... lol any suggestions...