Sign in to follow this  
IEDHUNTER

Battery replacement

YEEE HAAAAAA ok well swapped batteries, and low and behold it worked,,,, it must be my right voltage meter that doesnt work,,,, the left one does,,,, but engines tried to turn over i just hit the ignition for a fraction of a second to make sure that it got juice to the engines... didnt really turn them over,,,,, now my next question is to come lol the #%^$&%$ trim tabs,,,, I dont know how to straighten them out... lol any suggestions...

Not sure what you mean by straighten them out. What type of trim tabs do you have. It is my guess that there should be a pair of switches on the helm that will say something like bow up and bow down on them. With the ignition switch on press the bow up and this should move the tabs to the up position, so long as they have fluid in the tank and the pump is working. I am guessing that you do not have electric tabs. If you can't locate the switches take some pictures of your helm area and we will see if we can spot them. Also some pictures of the trim tabs would be great.

Not sure what you mean by straighten them out. What type of trim tabs do you have. It is my guess that there should be a pair of switches on the helm that will say something like bow up and bow down on them. With the ignition switch on press the bow up and this should move the tabs to the up position, so long as they have fluid in the tank and the pump is working. I am guessing that you do not have electric tabs. If you can't locate the switches take some pictures of your helm area and we will see if we can spot them. Also some pictures of the trim tabs would be great.

ok wrong part,,,, its the little fin like things above my proppellers,, they are white about 4 inches long,,,,

ok wrong part,,,, its the little fin like things above my proppellers,, they are white about 4 inches long,,,,

Ok, don't straighten, the purpose of those is to help counter the effects of the prop rotation. If you have a hard pull on the steering wheel the idea is to loosen them, move them, and tighten in a new postion till you get it right. These are also anodes. On newer outdrives they have been replaced by a flat piece that goes in the same place and is then just an anode. My suggestion is to not do anything with them, unless they are badly eatten up. If that is the case get new ones and replace with them in the same postion. By the way the bolt that holds that is above there under a rubber plug.

Ok, don't straighten, the purpose of those is to help counter the effects of the prop rotation. If you have a hard pull on the steering wheel the idea is to loosen them, move them, and tighten in a new postion till you get it right. These are also anodes. On newer outdrives they have been replaced by a flat piece that goes in the same place and is then just an anode. My suggestion is to not do anything with them, unless they are badly eatten up. If that is the case get new ones and replace with them in the same postion. By the way the bolt that holds that is above there under a rubber plug.

ahhh the makes sense ok thanks for the tip... soon she will be in her rightful place in the ocean .

Can you use the dual purpose batteries? I just boat a 1990 sig. 30, and replaced all 4 batts. The guy at West Marine said it would be ok....

sure but I wouldn't bother.... starting batteries are for engines... deep cycle are for house banks...

Volvo states in their manuals (at least the newer ones) NOT to use a deep cycle for the starting battery. Not enough juice and may damage the electronics....GR