Sign in to follow this  
Cardinal14

Older Vynal /Graphics/Stripes/Decals replacement

Looked at old post and searched forum before posting this. Did not find a good answer. But, kinda new to all so may have missed all other post.

I just bought the boat yesterday. It has no vinyl stripes/Graphics on it except for the Limited Edition Oval, The "Fast Planing Hull" oval on the stern, the "1930 SSi Sport" on one side and the "Chaparral" gold lettering on both sides. I peeled off the 5 layers of old registration decals and there was the original gold and navy blue stripes as good as the day made.

Called local Chaparral dealership but their reply was: "NO longer available for 1999" Bummer

This boat is in great shape and with new decals/vinyl/graphics, would look great. I have done comps with other boats on e-bay, iboats, boat trader, etc and have seen what the side stripes are supposed to look like.

Surfing the net all day today for Chaparral Boat graphics/stripes/decals/ vinyl stripes...and all combinations yields no tangible results.

Need: 2 x 1930 SSi Sport (red)

Upper: blue and gold vinyl stripes. 1/4 "

Lower: blue and gold vinyl stripes. 1/4 "

Lower: Wide gold and blue stripes that widen as runs aft.

Sure could use some help on this and any suggestions on re-dying the upholstery. IT faded to a beautiful purple which my kids like but it does not match the hull.

VR

Where is Joe ( joe@cecilmarine.com ) .... some times he can find those obscure stripes.

He would need a sample or a pic of them.

Reminds me I think i was supposed to send him a pic.

:D

Check a local auto upholstery shop about dying the seats. Used to have that done years ago when we needed to replace some upholstery on a car we were repairing in our shop and couldn't find a match. It may or may not pay to do that. Sometimes it's actually cheaper and better to reupholster them. As to the stripes: If you can find photos of how it's supposed to look, any boat lettering company or a company that makes vinyl stick-ons for cars and trucks can duplicate it. Them, it's up to you to put them on. Not that difficult if you've got a steady hand. By the way, welcome to the site and to Chaps. Hy

Thanks,

We have a local shop, PEnsacola, that will make just about any graphic for a pretty good price (for them). I just wanted to go back with OEM if possible. But know too that the stripes were/ are 3M products so any 3M replace will be good.

Now that I think of it, I will get the chance to change the "1930 SSi Sport to any lettering font/ style I want. Might be fun to see if I can put on something better than the factory.

Someone once told me to get off the old decals you use a hair dryer set on low and pick the bits off as they warm. Correct? That will not hurt the jello coat will it?

Someone once told me to get off the old decals you use a hair dryer set on low and pick the bits off as they warm. Correct? That will not hurt the jello coat will it?

I just went thru this in the last 2 weeks. I replaced all the pin stripes and did the Chap logo last year. The hair dryer works and did not hurt the jel coat. I found the best way was to hold the dryer about 12" from the stripe and just warm it and the glue. If you get to close you will melt the vinyl. A plastic scraper also helps to get it started. I then used Goo Gone and get the remaining glue off. This is not a fun job but the boat now looks like new.

Pappy

Where is Joe ( joe@cecilmarine.com ) .... some times he can find those obscure stripes.

He would need a sample or a pic of them.

Reminds me I think i was supposed to send him a pic.

:D

Joe the MAN..... :beer-7687-1:

Hi, To add to this wonderfull topic, I have a 1994 (1830 SS ) and one of the side "C" metel letters fell off. I found out that they are the old style, no longer made, I haven't been able to find one yet. Anyone have any idea's Help... pete

Call kendo marine in Oak creek wisconsin they have all kinds of old dealer stock 

best bet is to look on ebay.  After that any local sign shop can do great work at the fraction of what a dealer is going charge you for stickers they have had sitting in moth balls.

You can go to a vinyl sign shop and they can do a custom striping for you.  The previous owner of my boat had the vinyl removed and new ones applied.  It's probably cheaper and you can design it to your liking.  

I'd check a local sign/vinyl shop.  As many have said, it's probably cheaper.  I'd also be wary of installing original vinyl that is 15-20+ years old.  The glue on the back dries out if not applied.  I just discussed this with a vinyl guy we work with at my job - believe it or not, the vinyl has a shelf life if not applied.  

Get an eraser wheel from an auto body shop, or the Internet webs.  Goes in a drill and takes off decals very quickly.  It's a big pencil eraser.  No heat, no scraping, no gooey mess.  Perfectly safe on gelcoat.