Steve_0

New Steering Wheel

23 posts in this topic

Hello and excuse me for starting a new topic but I cannot find one on Steering Wheels. I have a 2005, 256 SSi in need of a new or updated steering wheel. I have tried my "lazy," local dealership that is 50 miles from my home and they act like sending me information on this part is a pain in their A**. Can anyone recommend a site that might have information about Chaparral parts like this. I called Robin Comfort in Customer Service but had to leave a message. Once again I am left with having to contact members for help with my Chaparral parts needs. Thanks everyone.

Joe's the one. He'll not only speak to you and help you; he knows his stuff too. Email or call him. You can't go wrong. Hy

Joe has been a solid supporter of all the members on this forum and you will not go wrong by contacting him. Let us know how you make out.

I've got a new idea for you...........................call Joe @ Cecil Marine.

You've got some choices even within the Chaparral models available. For your boat, ('05 256 SSi) I really like the later 905 mahogany 3 spoke wheel. (such as is used on an '09 275 SSi) Chaparral Part # 43.00019

Or, if you don't like wood, you could go with the newer SSx 831 model. Part # MS8313531CB. Don't have to stay with what was stock, but you will want a wheel with the Teleflex OEM splined hub.

Joe is of course the source.

You've got some choices even within the Chaparral models available. For your boat, ('05 256 SSi) I really like the later 905 mahogany 3 spoke wheel. (such as is used on an '09 275 SSi) Chaparral Part # 43.00019

Or, if you don't like wood, you could go with the newer SSx 831 model. Part # MS8313531CB. Don't have to stay with what was stock, but you will want a wheel with the Teleflex OEM splined hub.

Just curious Shepherd, would you not also be a source for those boaters located in Canada? Don't be shy now.

His first love is Sasha and don't touch her.

;)

:haha-7383:

Just curious Shepherd, would you not also be a source for those boaters located in Canada? Don't be shy now.

Not really; there's much larger dealers than us up here. I don't mind stocking or ordering parts from Chaparral to customize and/or upgrade our stock and customers boats where funds permit. I feel we have the bare necessities. My bosses might disagree - 'WTH have you ordered NOW??!!' came often be heard shouted in anguish.

Really, I just try my best to be an ideas man on what looks good and is doable. Of course, the 2 don't always go together. :P

:haha-7383:

Not really; there's much larger dealers than us up here. I don't mind stocking or ordering parts from Chaparral to customize and/or upgrade our stock and customers boats where funds permit. I feel we have the bare necessities. My bosses might disagree - 'WTH have you ordered NOW??!!' came often be heard shouted in anguish.

Really, I just try my best to be an ideas man on what looks good and is doable. Of course, the 2 don't always go together. :P

Thanks Shep!

Any thoughts on a steering wheel hub/cap for a 2002 220 SSi? Mine disappeared while towing it home one day. Let me guess....Joe?

Does anyone know if the Uflex Spargi Steering wheel will work on a 2006 246 SSI ? Want to replace the mohogany steering wheel with something black/silver.

http://www.boatersland.com/ufxspargist.html

If so, does it require this hub?

http://www.boatersland.com/ufxsplinedhub.html

Does anyone know if the Uflex Spargi Steering wheel will work on a 2006 246 SSI ? Want to replace the mohogany steering wheel with something black/silver.

http://www.boatersland.com/ufxspargist.html

If so, does it require this hub?

http://www.boatersland.com/ufxsplinedhub.html

You need to know what hub do you have.

Hubs are standard - 19 Teeth Spline or Tapered Hub. Many models have adapters for both. So, it is really hard to buy wrong one. Wheel diameter is 13.5-14in.

UFLEX is a good brand, many modern boats have wheels from them (probably Chaparral as well)

http://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/

Teleflex models are not as good.

Chaparral doesn't make its own steering wheels, as well as most of the parts - they are available from third parties cheaper, if to buy them not as an OEM:)

Just remove Chaparral logo from old wheel and put on new one. Or get new logo from Joe.

Many wheels are on eBay and Amazon. You can buy simple one for 30 or premium for 300+ deers

http://www.ehow.com/how_5435278_remove-boat-steering-wheel-hub.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5808637_replace-boat-steering-wheel.html

I recently upgraded to the Mahagony three spoke that Cecil's had on sale for 174 deer. Mine was a spline shaft...very easy to change out.

Before: July10021.jpg

After: Aug13002.jpg

Good luck.

Rich

I too hit up Joe at cecils for the mahogany steering wheel. Sure does look snazzy and smooth to the touch! 174 deer is a lot but worth it.

I recently upgraded to the Mahagony three spoke that Cecil's had on sale for 174 deer. Mine was a spline shaft...very easy to change out.

You can't beat this price:)

I'm thinking of changing from beige wheel to the mahogany three spoke at Cecil. The wood looks great! Any issues with the wood wheel getting hot or slippery or aging from heat? I would put a cover on it when not in use.

I swapped out my wheel on my 2008 256ssi to the black one one the ssx with the flat bottom. Found it on eBay, less than 5 minutes to change.

The wood steering wheel on my 220 looks perfect after 10 seasons on the water. The boat is garaged kept, which helps.

brick