Boat Amigo 3

Fresh or Salt Water

209 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favortie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

73 posts in this topic

For me its fresh water -

No scary fish [sharks, etc.]

No jelly fish

Easy and interesting places to dock like restaurants

No waves

Do not need to deal with tides

I can think of more but I will let you do that.

Started boating in the salt waters of the ICW in the Jersey Shore area. Since our move to Texas, now we're strictly fresh water boaters. I do miss that salty crust you get when spending a day on the boat down the shore!

I prefer deep sea fishing (20-40 nm), but use fresh water for everything else...Good poll BA3

I too grew up with boating (sailing) in the salt waters of Long Island and Block Island Sounds. Now it's fresh water power boating and we love it. Much easier without the worries of tides and currents. Less wear and tear without the salt. However, I do miss the walks on the beach and the sail boat racing.

For pleasure boating, fresh water is my choice. Definitely like not having to worry about tides and jelly fish. Gotta watch out for large snapping turtles though! B)

Started boating in the salt waters of the ICW in the Jersey Shore area. Since our move to Texas, now we're strictly fresh water boaters. I do miss that salty crust you get when spending a day on the boat down the shore!

spoken like a true jersian "down the shore"

We used to boat in salt exclusively, but now are on the Potomac River. Fresh water, but still tidal (sometimes VERY tidal), and not too far from brackish, then salt. I've seen jellyfish at Port Tobacco, a couple miles upstream of the Rt. 301 bridge, which is considered the salt-fresh cutoff line for everyone, including my tow insurance. Late in the season, the crab pots are strewn like a mine field as far upstream as Quantico, VA. I enjoy the fresh water dock, and definitely don't enjoy the boat turning into a 'salt-sicle' when we venture into the Chesapeake. Too much cleaning for me.

Started boating in Niantic as a kid. My Dad, me, and others (family sometimes or friends of my Dad) would rent a huge rowboat in the bayside. At first we had only a 5hp which barely moved us thru the race going under the bridges to get out to Bartlett's Reef. Oh the stories I can tell...

Anyway after having something bigger on the CT River (the last being our 215SSi) we decided we needed more space and moved our boating to the LIS. With Mystic as our home away from home we have the entire east coast to prowl. There are some things about the river I miss though; fireworks in Hartford, the "hidey" holes we can take our dink into, Selden's Creek but now that the cliffs are gone not as much, the night runs. But the Sound is wide open and the water is clean (not always so for the river) and perhaps now with our radar we can go out at night I hope.

But as my signature indicates it matters not what waters I am on, only that I am on the water when I'm gone.

Started boating in Niantic as a kid. My Dad, me, and others (family sometimes or friends of my Dad) would rent a huge rowboat in the bayside. At first we had only a 5hp which barely moved us thru the race going under the bridges to get out to Bartlett's Reef. Oh the stories I can tell...

Anyway after having something bigger on the CT River (the last being our 215SSi) we decided we needed more space and moved our boating to the LIS. With Mystic as our home away from home we have the entire east coast to prowl. There are some things about the river I miss though; fireworks in Hartford, the "hidey" holes we can take our dink into, Selden's Creek but now that the cliffs are gone not as much, the night runs. But the Sound is wide open and the water is clean (not always so for the river) and perhaps now with our radar we can go out at night I hope.

But as my signature indicates it matters not what waters I am on, only that I am on the water when I'm gone.

What do you mean about "the cliffs are gone" at Selden's Creek??? also, do they still have fireworks on the Thmaes in New London?? We went to those a few times in out 26 foot Pearson. It was tough getting back to Noank especially if there was no moon. We just picked a bigger boat that had GPS or Radar and said Noank or Mystic on the stern and followed them back.

Growing up we spent boating off of Litchfield Beach, actually Murrels Inlet in SC. Now that we live on LKN and have experienced lake boating, that is my preference. No tides or currents to deal with (especially during the week when there is no traffic on the lake) and I do not miss the salt.

Good poll BA3.

There should be an option for both! :lol:

Here in Vancouver there are so many amazing lakes and so many amazing places on the ocean that it's hard to choose a favorite. We boat in both fresh and salt water and each has it's pros/cons but we enjoy each! So far this season we have only been in fresh water....but on the May long weekend (May 21-24) we will be in the salt (and some fresh)!

I think you'll find that those who boat in fresh water like it and those who boat in salt water like it. Hence we just like boating on the water and it does not matter where.

I've been known to boat in bath water and found that enjoyable too!! :thsmilie_water_119-1::thl_speedboat::boating: especially with the admiral along. Up Periscope!! :captain::wub:

I think you'll find that those who boat in fresh water like it and those who boat in salt water like it. Hence we just like boating on the water and it does not matter where.

I've been known to boat in bath water and found that enjoyable too!! :thsmilie_water_119-1::thl_speedboat::boating: especially with the admiral along. Up Periscope!! :captain::wub:

Family content only!! :P

stock-photo-young-boy-in-bathtub-with-toy-sailboat-27823195.jpg

I'm right on the coast so I have both. I spent most of my time growing up on the rivers so I'm more comfortable on fresh...however, I really love going out to one of the islands off the coast (see photo below). The salt water in so clear here and the beaches so white and "fluffy". It's great!

I picked salt but there should be an option for both.

You have a dirty mind!!

I was just following yours :P:o;):D

I'm a salt water person. I'm like the taste and smell of the salt air, and growing up on the Panhandle of Florida, I've grown used to secluded anchorages, water side watering holes, clear water and the most beautiful white beaches in the world, IMO. (Well, the clear water and white beaches may only last until this weekend when they will probably get covered with oil.)

I prefer my salt on the rim of a glass, and the feel of fresh water on my body. Although I must admit the times I have spent off shore have always been enjoyable and I love the sea air, whether from boat or beach!

I grew up fishing on the south shore of Long Island, a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive from Brooklyn, NY. We boat on the south shore in Great South Bay and Moriches Bay. There are no really large lakes on Long Island so power boating is either in the bay or the ocean. Now if only the fishing were as good as it was 55 years ago. Safe boating, all, wherever you boat. Hy

I would have to say it doesn't matter, I have done both and just love being on the water. Right now it is fresh water because that is were we are. Would love to be able to have a boat on the coast somewhere. Right now if we want do salt water boating it requires taking a trip.

I would have to say it doesn't matter, I have done both and just love being on the water. Right now it is fresh water because that is were we are. Would love to be able to have a boat on the coast somewhere. Right now if we want do salt water boating it requires taking a trip.

I would have to agree with the bolded statement above. I am sure that once we relocate (some years from now) to a coastal area that we will enjoy the salt water as much as fresh simply because we are on the water.

Now that said, now owning a previous salt water boat that is now in fresh water, I can say that salt water boats require more maintenance and care. But in the end, as long as I am on the water it's ok!

salt water here, but now is brackish water, BTW i dont get in the water in netches river, no sharks but plenty of gators gard screw them ugly bad $^& fish :beer-7687-1:

What do you mean about "the cliffs are gone" at Selden's Creek??? also, do they still have fireworks on the Thmaes in New London?? We went to those a few times in out 26 foot Pearson. It was tough getting back to Noank especially if there was no moon. We just picked a bigger boat that had GPS or Radar and said Noank or Mystic on the stern and followed them back.

Went last year; launched my Dad's rowboat with his 9.5hp from Hadam Neck just up river from the Goodspeed Opera House with my boys, got to where the cliffs used to be and now they are no more. Looks like the land owners had someone come in and dynamite the place, very sad day for all of us.