Boat Amigo 3

Fresh or Salt Water

209 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favortie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

73 posts in this topic

I am lucky enough that I have the pleasures of both salt and fresh from my home port launch. Nothing quiet like heading offshore to the islands across open water in the early morning and then coming back in later and diving overboard into fresh water to cool the sunburn and remove the salt crust. Another plus is no flushing:)

Salt Life!!

Man there is nothing quiet like the Destin FWB area. I get over there a couple times each year. My sig pic was taken at crab island :beer-7687-1:

Man there is nothing quiet like the Destin FWB area. I get over there a couple times each year. My sig pic was taken at crab island :beer-7687-1:

Love Crab Island!! We are there every weekend, when ya coming down next?

Love Crab Island!! We are there every weekend, when ya coming down next?

I'll for sure be there for boat week in August but likely get over sometime in June too.

I have a interesting dilemma when it comes to salt or fresh. Grow up in PA and boated on the Susquehanna. The Susquehanna although limited was very safe and clean allowing you to see the bottom. Did plenty of skiing, tubing and many other activities. I now live in Central Florida with in my opinion some of the Greatest boating waters in the world. Now why is this a dilemma you ask. Well, I have two little girls(2yr old and 10 month old) that I would like for them to experience everything I did and more. Unfortunately in the fresh water(Tea color) you find Alligators and in the salt water(murky)we have many thinks including sharks. The sharks don't scare me but when I envision something grabbing my children I get a different kind of fear. Oh yea, then there is brackish with a combination of all the above(gators love brackish). So what am I to do? Listen to the locals that say the Alligators a more afraid of us. Or go with my instincts and keep my babies out of the water. How much fun is that going to be? I would love to hear opinions from those inside and outside Florida with some kind of common sense solution.

Why do you think salt water boat owners have to constantly replace parts, i.e.-motors, manifolds, etc..., salt water is metals worst nightmare. Fresh water motors are like japanese cars, some can run forever.

I agree with both......the beautiful Pacific with the Channel Islands and Catalina on one side and the Colorado River Lakes (Powell, Mead, Mohave, Havasu) on the other.........one great positive about the lakes over the Pacific is there aren't any great whites (except for Billy's Girls) looking at me as part of the food chain on the lakes.

Strictly fresh water for us! Bought my boat used and that she had never been in salt was a huge factor in deciding which to buy. And besides, when someone lives in the Tennessee River Valley, there's plenty of water around!!!

If any of the Salt Water guys spent some time on the Great Lakes they would never go back to salt water, ever!

If any of the Salt Water guys spent some time on the Great Lakes they would never go back to salt water, ever!

I seriously doubt that your gonna convince me...

IMG_0173.jpg

I agree with what Chris said. For the price of a set of manifolds every 4 to 5 years, a can of corrosion blocker each year, and a little extra detail to cleaning, I'll keep boating year around instead of waiting for the ice to melt.

beer-7687-1.gif

I do miss the fresh (well if any river water in CT can be called fresh) water sometimes. But we have much more salt water available to play in.

Ok how's this?

They are 94,710 sq miles in size, between 10 & 1300' deep, have sand like sugar, are as blue as the sky. If emptied, they would cover the entire 48 contiguous states in 9' of water.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_9605.jpg

Img_4340.jpg

Img_4312.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

Convinced?

For me its fresh water -

No scary fish [sharks, etc.]

No jelly fish

Easy and interesting places to dock like restaurants

No waves

Do not need to deal with tides

I can think of more but I will let you do that.

A few nore - when you finish swimming you do not feel a need to shower and , as a friend of mine added - no pirates ! Ha !!!

Ok how's this?

They are 94,710 sq miles in size, between 10 & 1300' deep, have sand like sugar, are as blue as the sky. If emptied, they would cover the entire 48 contiguous states in 9' of water.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_9605.jpg

Img_4340.jpg

Img_4312.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

Convinced?

OMG... those photos are great !!! where is this??

ame='sdillc' date='14 July 2010 - 05:32 AM' timestamp='1279114374' post='164298']

OMG... those photos are great !!! where is this??

All over Michigan, and specifically lakes Michigan, Superior, and Huron.

All over Michigan, and specifically lakes Michigan, Superior, and Huron.

You need a wetsuit to get in that water?

I absolutely love the Choctawhatchee Bay and especially Crab island at the Destin pass until I get home and have to clean the boat. Boats are so much easier to maintain in fresh water and a dry climate. In the end though I think I would chose this area over any fresh water lake I have been too.

I have to say now that I have been educated on Bull Sharks I'm somewhat leary of getting in the water but I still do nonetheless maybe not at dawn and dusk anymore though :)

I go both ways. Take her out to Catalina in the summer and winter and out to Lake Havasu, Mojave, and even Parker in the summer months. But I lean towards fresh water for the reason that I don't like great big white monsters (sharks).

Saul ;)

AOverby- my best friends family has water delivered too. They seem to really like it. I never asked how cheap it was. Do you think you save money that way? If so, what is your guess on how much?