Boat Amigo 3

Fresh or Salt Water

209 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favortie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

73 posts in this topic

For me definately fresh water, love the Great Lakes in Ontario Canada. Great boating and lots to see and do.

post-12705-1312430000_thumb.jpg

Got a new one - on my lake someone is putting in a Miniature Golf Course - can't get that in the ocean - so now we can ride in the boat to play miniature golf! Ha!!!

I have done both all my life. I like the freedom of wide open spaces in salt water. Less regulations and people.

Got a new one - on my lake someone is putting in a Miniature Golf Course - can't get that in the ocean - so now we can ride in the boat to play miniature golf! Ha!!!

That's a first!

We do both. We love taking trips to Catalina Island, sometimes we make the trip to just havebreakfast on the island. Takes about an hour and a half to get there, get a half day mooring and enjoy a nice breakfast and a mamosa. Then we take a slow trip back home. Love watchiing the Dolphins.

We also enjoy just going out at night for Harbor Cruises with friends. Sometimes we go about 2 miles off shore, watch the sunset and enjoy a peaceful dinner.

On the other hand, we enjoy Lake Havasu and Lake mohave. 120 deg sun, 85deg water and 38 degree beer...

I just LOVE being a boat owner...

I chose fresh since it's the way we use our boat.....but love the ocean on a cruise ship too.....and diving in warm salt water destinations is the BEST !!!!

I go both ways. Take her out to Catalina in the summer and winter and out to Lake Havasu, Mojave, and even Parker in the summer months. But I lean towards fresh water for the reason that I don't like great big white monsters (sharks).

Saul wink.gif

Sounds like you make the same runs we make...

Let us know if you need a traveling companion for a Catlina trip. Sometimes we go over just for breakfast then come on home...

SALTY! in fresh water, you cant get to the Bahamas, Abacos, Bimini, the keys or any other awesome boating destinations. I live on a brackish canal and can boat anywhere from the ICW waterway or take the ocean. We have calm wates, restaurants, great fishing, and I can get anywhere in the atlatic or gulf side without having to let my boat travel down a highway! I do have access to freshwater, but might only see it once a year if even that!

Hands down, Salt Water... I look forward to driving to the shore and getting the first whiff of the Salt air. Its like an aphrodisiac.

We ski, Crab, Clam, cruise, and fish in the salt water. You just cant beat it !

For me its fresh water -

No scary fish [sharks, etc.]

No jelly fish

Easy and interesting places to dock like restaurants

No waves

Do not need to deal with tides

I can think of more but I will let you do that.

So, where's the challenge.

Hands down, Salt Water... I look forward to driving to the shore and getting the first whiff of the Salt air. Its like an aphrodisiac.

We ski, Crab, Clam, cruise, and fish in the salt water. You just cant beat it !

So true! I have a lobster pot at my slip. I just fish for strippers, BUT have you ever had yellow tail tuna just brought in by your slip neighbors? Than you know why they pay a pound. What you get in the can is cat food.

To take trips to Cape Cod (P-town), to go though the Canel, Newport R.I., Montauk L.I. I can go on!!!

Well fresh water seems to be the prevailing winner 69% to 31%. Maybe its because Chaps are generally used in non ocean waters. Any more votes?

Only reason to go in salt water is to fish! Not screwing up my Chaparral. I do live in Kentucky might be different if I was on the coast.

Grew up and still boat the crystal clear finger lakes region in western NY. Did a lot of game fishing off Cape Ann Mass in the salt. Freshwater all the way for me. No wear & tear on the boat, no closed cooling system needed, no currents or tides, no jellyfish or other predatory fish, and the other side of the large body if water is within reach and still in the same country!

Well fresh water seems to be the prevailing winner 69% to 31%. Maybe its because Chaps are generally used in non ocean waters. Any more votes?

Yes, Chaps are more of a lake boat.

Look at the Jeanneau, Luhrs, Albin, Azimut, Baja, Beneteau, Carver , Chris Craft and there is a lot more.

Salt water and it's not even close...down here in fl I boat year round, go to beaches, waterfront restaurants, AMAZING snorkeling, etc. I'm going to crystal clear water in the keys next week :) for snorkeling, beaching, and relaxing! Some Lakes are cool too, but salt water has no limits.

Fresh water. The nearest body of water to my place is Lake Mead. I have no choice. Lol. I find it more calming to fish in fresh water than the sea. 

Fresh water--mainly because the closest one is 2.5 miles from my driveway.  That said, after staying at a friend's place on the NJ shore, if I had the opportunity, I could live with salt :)

Salt water boating is an adventure, especially when you leave the harbor and realize it's 3000 miles across the oceans. Makes you really appreciate the courage of the first settlers.