jayjack

What Chaparral Model and year do you own

125 posts in this topic

What I love most about my boat is the fact it is a Chap!!! The Admiral and I looked off and on for several years at new boats (knowing we couldn't afford even the entry level) and used. Saw so many used Bayliner and Tahoe that were still more than we wanted to spend than I can count. Saw mine sitting in the sale lot on post and as soon as I told the Admiral it was a Chap and how much it was, she said BUY IT!! Called a friend of mine who's been selling SR for 20 years and he said the same thing.

I was at the ’05 Boat Show with the Admiral. Saw the lines of this boat; room in the head; storage. I just told her this is our next boat.

We have it now and in ten years we will still have, I love it and she loves it.

Ride is just awesome, in all weather.

But the best part I like is that she likes to drive it. So I have more time to :beer-7687-1:

matt

Oh yah its paid for..... :mandancing:

We have a 2010 Sunesta 224 --- We were first impressed with the space that the wide hull delivers. Looking deeper, we went and put our hands on "equivilent" stingrays, sea rays and others ... Chaparral just felt more solid, more well built. In the water the 224 is great - the 5.0 L VP Duo prop is good on gas, and handles great.

Congrats on the new boat!

Welcome to the forum mark a . We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers for you to do (if you have not already done so) to help us help you:

1. By clicking on your name in the upper right corner to bring up your options select my profile to add into your signature your location (geographic area).

2. Also under your signature add the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.

3. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.

4. Take a minute to review our Terms of Service, again right corner. There is good information in there that you will want to know including that we cannot discuss pricing. But read some of our other posts on here to learn the work around for that. ;)

5. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.

6. Take some time to look through the Help (upper right corner) and > Info Center) located under Chaparral Boats Forum on the main page. From there you will find parts guides, brochures, manuals, specifications, canvas installation manuals, vinyl care information, square gauge setup, weather links, computer desktop backgrounds, etc. Lots of good stuff there for you and your Chaparral!

7. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger.

:thl_speedboat:

The last time I was in Sydney I called the Admiral and told her to sell everything and be prepared to move. I love it there! Hope you had a great trip and that down under is as good as it was 11 years ago.

I was in Perth a couple years ago. I was having a good time instant messaging my friends from the future :-) The water down there was rediculous. The sand was soft and the waves were warm.

We first went to Australia in 2008....did the outback, Great Barrier Reef, Sydney areas before getting on a cruise that hit Melbourne & Hobart and then over to New Zealand (Christchurch, Dunedin, Taraunga, Wellington, etc...) great trip and we too are in love with that part of the world !! So much that we just did another trip there from Dec 28 to Jan 24....New Yrs Eve out on Sydney Harbor was the best I think I'll ever spend !! This time we just did Sydney area and The GBR for some diving before getting on the cruise ship to New Caledonia, Vanuatu, and FIJI...diving is breathtaking in FIJI.....Retirement can't come soon enough !!!!

As far as boat.... we are just getting out first Chaparral... a 1999 233 Sunesta LE with the 5.7 efi/bravo 3 Merc set up. We are new to boating but it seems like people really like their Chaps and everything I've read on the Sunesta line has been exceptional...so we are excited to get it...next wk we are hoping !!!

Getting back into boating after a long hiatus. Haven't owned a boat since the early 90s.

Just bought a 2004 215 SSi with a 5.0 l EMI Alpha I Merc. I love everything about the boat. Came with NAVMAN Chart plotter and trim tabs, VHF radio, remote stereo switch, full camper canvas, etc. This is my first i/o. Once long ago owned a 16' Bayliner with outboard force motor. Loved that boat too..it was what I could afford at the time!! Trying to enjoy the rest of the season! Slept on board last weekend. Not exactly luxury but a blast none the less! Weather didn't cooperate at first and now that it is going to be in the 90's (Summer's last hurrah!)I am having engine problems :( ....won't start...hope that it is just a sensor failure. Hope to be back in business soon!

As far as my next boat goes....I really want to get into the small cruiser size with enclosed head and a galley, 25' to 30'. That is if I have a good overall experience with this boat.

Welcome to the forum Rich W . We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers for you to do (if you have not already done so) to help us help you:

1. By clicking on your name in the upper right corner to bring up your options select my profile to add into your signature your location (geographic area).

2. Also under your signature add the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.

3. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.

4. Take a minute to review our Terms of Service, again right corner. There is good information in there that you will want to know including that we cannot discuss pricing. But read some of our other posts on here to learn the work around for that. ;)

5. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.

6. Take some time to look through the Help (upper right corner) and > Info Center) located under Chaparral Boats Forum on the main page. From there you will find parts guides, brochures, manuals, specifications, canvas installation manuals, vinyl care information, square gauge setup, weather links, computer desktop backgrounds, etc. Lots of good stuff there for you and your Chaparral!

7. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger.

:thl_speedboat:

Getting back into boating after a long hiatus. Haven't owned a boat since the early 90s.

Just bought a 2004 215 SSi with a 5.0 l EMI Alpha I Merc. I love everything about the boat. Came with NAVMAN Chart plotter and trim tabs, VHF radio, remote stereo switch, full camper canvas, etc. This is my first i/o. Once long ago owned a 16' Bayliner with outboard force motor. Loved that boat too..it was what I could afford at the time!! Trying to enjoy the rest of the season! Slept on board last weekend. Not exactly luxury but a blast none the less! Weather didn't cooperate at first and now that it is going to be in the 90's (Summer's last hurrah!)I am having engine problems sad.gif ....won't start...hope that it is just a sensor failure. Hope to be back in business soon!

As far as my next boat goes....I really want to get into the small cruiser size with enclosed head and a galley, 25' to 30'. That is if I have a good overall experience with this boat.

We went from a 215 to a Sig 270. Hope your problem is resolved soon.

Does the engine turn over? If it does turn over, but is not firing you might want to check to make sure the kill switch hasn't been tripped. This is a very common thing to have happen.

Had engine diagnosed with a bad IAC motor, and am hoping for a replacement to be installed tomorrow. I gather from research that this is a somewhat common problem with MPI Mercs, so much so, that many fellow boaters have included one of these in their spare parts box on board(as well as new gasket) . Sounds like an easy and quick job too. Symptoms are: two beep alarm every 30 seconds or so while under way. The manual says this is lube oil problem , but my reservoir was clean and full. The motor also stalled at idle. Was able to restart and get back to the dock, but had problem restarting after it stalled again. Tried starting the next day to no avail. Technician was able to start it at about 1/4 throttle, but it would stall when switched to idle. Used his diagnostics computer to determine the problem. Will pay to have this one fixed and look into getting a spare to have on hand....I really hate the idea of getting stranded!!

Email & IM Direct Link HTML Code IMG Code

Hey my family has been having a blast on the 215 for many years now. It is a great trailering boat. With a little work it is liveable for a weekend. Not luxurious, but not bad. As for the IAC, they do fail. No need to be stranded though. There is a hose that goes to the IAC motor. You can pull this hose and the boat will idle. It will idle high and this solution should only be used for getting back to port, but it works. Try not to shift to much as it will be going into gear hard.

I posted in the newbie thread but this might be a good place too: We're looking at a 320 signature, 2003, (our first boat) and want to find about sleeping on the converted eating area up front, are there mattress pads and sheets available for the round shape? Most boats in this size have a forward berth and we'll be regularly having adult children sleep on whatever we buy. And any comments on the enclosed mid cabin? Seems nice but a bit clausterphobic.

Now that I've racked up 60 plus hours on my new2010 215 ssi, I definitely like the following about the boat:

1. It's been completely problem free other than a simple tach calibration issue at 20 hours / and a free prop change by Chap at 50 hours to get max rpm.

2. It's paid for!

3. When I ordered the boat in February, Chap, the dealer and the Seattle Boat show were all offering amazing financial incentives (way slow market for new boat sales) so I got a new boat with an extended 5 year warranty for less than a used boat.

4. It's a beautiful boat that gets lots of compliments.

5. It's big enough for me, the admiral, our 2 weimeraners, and a couple friends for comfortable day cruising.

6. It sips fuel, and the tank / fuel demand is small enough I can fuel it at my float, saving fuel trips to a marina.

7. It's got enough of a cuddy for my occasional (solo) overnight adventures.

8. Tons of dry storage for gear and equipment.

9. Fit and finish and overall design is well done and high quality.

10. Performance with the Volvo 4.3 225 hp is surprisingly snappy - great top end, and great low rpm slow cruising on plane (helped by Smart Tabs).

11. Rough water and large wake ride quality is surprisingly solid and good for a 21' boat.

12. Both the mooring cover and canvas are quick and easy to set up and keep things bone dry inside, and the canvas makes it comfortable enough for year round use.

13. Dealer has been responsive and good to work with.

My dream upgrade boat would be the 2011 version of the 275 ssi, but since we love the (paid for with years of warranty) 215, It'll stay dream and not reality for a few years.

Now that I've racked up 60 plus hours on my new2010 215 ssi, I definitely like the following about the boat:

1. It's been completely problem free other than a simple tach calibration issue at 20 hours / and a free prop change by Chap at 50 hours to get max rpm.

2. It's paid for!

3. When I ordered the boat in February, Chap, the dealer and the Seattle Boat show were all offering amazing financial incentives (way slow market for new boat sales) so I got a new boat with an extended 5 year warranty for less than a used boat.

4. It's a beautiful boat that gets lots of compliments.

5. It's big enough for me, the admiral, our 2 weimeraners, and a couple friends for comfortable day cruising.

6. It sips fuel, and the tank / fuel demand is small enough I can fuel it at my float, saving fuel trips to a marina.

7. It's got enough of a cuddy for my occasional (solo) overnight adventures.

8. Tons of dry storage for gear and equipment.

9. Fit and finish and overall design is well done and high quality.

10. Performance with the Volvo 4.3 225 hp is surprisingly snappy - great top end, and great low rpm slow cruising on plane (helped by Smart Tabs).

11. Rough water and large wake ride quality is surprisingly solid and good for a 21' boat.

12. Both the mooring cover and canvas are quick and easy to set up and keep things bone dry inside, and the canvas makes it comfortable enough for year round use.

13. Dealer has been responsive and good to work with.

My dream upgrade boat would be the 2011 version of the 275 ssi, but since we love the (paid for with years of warranty) 215, It'll stay dream and not reality for a few years.

Right on the money! It is amazing your comments echo exactly what I think about our boat. Right down to the "not in a big hurry to upgrade" but do have a dream boat :-)

Good Day

I have 2 Chapparals. First is a 2002 220SSI. Great boat. What I like/love about it is the layout,storatge, wakeboard tower, sound system, the extended swim platform, and its paid for. :)

The second is a new 2010 Sunesta 264 with VP DP 8.1. The things i like/ love about it are, the room, the power of the 8.1 (375hp), the loud button (its a must for any guy), the room in the head, lots of storage, the GPS, the speed and performance, oh and its paid for. :)

IMO Chaparral makes the best boat on the market. There are only 4 Chaps in my marina and I have 2 of them and everyone that i talk to just loves the looks of them. Its just to bad that i had to put them away for the nasty W word. :(

My next boat (when i am ready) will be another Chaparral.

Cheers :beer-7687-1:

bought a new 310 cruiser in april of this year. love the handling and speed, twin 5.7 volvos. boat really gets up and goes. love the size and layout of the cabin as well as the deck space. Have had my share of problems with the rest of the boat though. The dealer has treated me really well but i did not count on losing use of the boat for weeks on end. chaparral has really bent over backwards to try and take care of the numerous problems encountered with the rest of the boat. Pending the outcome of their latest attempt to correct the problems I probally would buy another boat from chaparral. Funny the engines and drives have peformed perfectly. but the electrcal and fit and finish problems have been numerous. It all stems from the outside part suppliers outsourcing their work to places like china, korea,mexico, and some that i never heard of before. So much for built in america?
http://

I have a 2007 Sig 310 had some issue also with my 2007 Sig 310 but the dealer resolved them all new boats have issues but at least I do not have any of the horror stories I have heard from others who do not own a chaparral.. The layout and performance on this boat is great. I do not even mind going into the engine compartment it is huge.

Bill

Lady-g 2007 Sig 310

Hi Guys,

Brand new to Chaparral and no longer loyal to Sea Ray. Having owned 4 different Sea Ray's and a Wellcraft we were blown out of the water when we looked at the Chaparral. Never again will I stand on my head in the engine compartment of the Sea Ray. Never again will I duck my head and kink my neck to use the head. If the wife banishes me to the engine compartment I will stretch out comfortably in front of the engines while hugging the generator. The fit and finish is all that of a Sea Ray and then some. Then there is the extra interior beam and head room which is unbeliveable. I am 6'1" tall and have always had to duck in the Sea Ray's. I have a good 5 inches over my head in the cabin of the Signature. Thanks for listening to me and my exhaultations, I am just very impressed. If anyone has any info. on what I should check, or watch out for I would be very grateful.

WaterFront Marine confirmed it's ordered...mandancing.gif

Thats all I got for now...I have to live vicariously thru Steam Cheng...HA!

post-10492-1299080000_thumb.jpg Our first boat was in 1997, a 1990 Chaparral 180 SE with a 3.0. in immaculate condition. I had been told by a few people that I would be disappointed in the HP but went ahead anyways. Yes the power was disappointing but I'm glad I learned the rules of the waves with a used boat. It lower unit got dinged once and it provided 3 years of excellent fun. In 2000 we went to GTX seadoo took it to Naples Florida in 2001. Wow what fun that was. We kept if for 6 years and then moved to a Rinker 192 which I equipped with a Roswell Wakeboard Tower. We had a ton of fun but the boat was a huge disappointment, not the boat but the power plant, long story...

For these reasons we parted ways 2009 at a loss. Last year turned out to be the best summer in recent years and we were without a toy. We were building a new house so we wouldn't have much time to get out. Last fall I started doing research on a fishing combo and was impressed with the Reatta 20'. As I searched and consulted I was offered tickets to the Toronto Boat Show. Unbeknown to me, my wife was "entertaining" my conversations about this boat and my plans with it. So off we go on a stormy Saturday morning drive from Kingston to Toronto. Arrived in Toronto in a blizzard at noon. Forgot to mention that I knew the Reatta's weren't going to be on display. We get our ticket and as soon as we walked in the doors, my wife asks if I knew where the Chaparral display was. I had been here the previous 2 years while on business so I knew the layout. I told her I didn't but in fact if she would have turned around she would have seen it was behind her. My wife has always said of all the boats we've been on, the 180 had been the best handling in rough waters and was the best looking boat period. I didn't ask her why but I found out later. As we walked and looked nothing was catching our eyes until we turned corner and she saw the Chaparral display. I've never seen her take off so fast. I kept looking and was a few minutes before I arrived. She was sitting in this 256 and eyes said it all. As I approached she invited me on her boat and went about telling me about it's features, priceless. We were on the boat for about 30 minutes just talking and then continued on our trek. My wife couldn't stop talking about the boat all the while I was talking with other reps, she wasn't involved. It's now 3:30, we had made plans to eat in Toronto and then head home. As it was too early, it was still storming, I suggested we go back to the 256 and she could get her answer on the $. Turns out I was bang on with my assessment. I walked off the boat, started to put my shoes on and a rep arrived. I asked about the power plant and the rest, well, they zoomed in on her priceless expressions and I was out. She wrote the cheque. She is thinking of calling her boat "she said Y KNOT" We are having trim tabs with LED controls installed and the dealer has agreed to switch to the new 24" 4 - 3 blade props. We have a water test in early April, can't wait.

:beer-7687-1:

Being relatively new to boating, my experience went like this. In 2002, My wife and I hooked up with her cousin. It was an instant match and our families quickly became inseperable and this has cost me a ton of money(LOL). They started inviting us for weekends to their beach house on Long Beach Island in NJ. This was my first regular use of boats. He had a 1987 Monarch 197 and we cruised and fished all over the place. After a few years, we had a running joke that if he ever bought a new boat, I would simply write him a check for the Monarch.

In 2006, standing at the dock having a couple beers looking over the lagoon, he proceeded to tell me about the new boat he bought and he would bring it to LBI the following weekend. Well, I immediately took out my checkbook and said how much. I bought his old boat no questions asked and for 4 months we were able to keep it at his neighbors dock so I could use it anytime. I WAS HOOKED.

In January 2007, my family and I attended the NY Boat show with a meager budget but I was on a mission to buy a new boat. I hooked up with Buster Marine out of Brooklyn and bought a fully loaded Tahoe Q7i which had everything we needed but as I didnt understand boats as yet, I didnt relaize a 5.0L 220HP carbarated Mercruiser with an alpha drive would not satisfy my need to speed and power over the long haul. The Tahoe was a great boat and never left me stranded.

In July 2007, getting backto the tons of money part, my buddy offered me his rental houes (on a logoon) in Little Egg Harbor for the reast of the summer at a cost that other people would have paid for a week or two, which of course we did. Then in November, with the setup complete, after living in the house for 4 months and my boat snuglled nicely at the dock, he said over dinner, "Want to buy it?". After refinancing my 15 year mortgage back to a 30 and taking money out for downpayment and work the house needed, in Decemeber 2007, I now owned a house on a logoon that cost me NET, $500 a month after all was said and done with my finances.

Now to the Chaparral. This year, I went to the NY anjd AC boat shows and WaterFront Marine out of Ocean City NJ, blew me away with a deal on my trade and the new 244 Sunesta with all the power (Volvo-Penta 5.7 GXi w/DP) I could get and loaded is being built and due for delivery the End of April. Althoug my Tahoe was nice and treated me well, the quaility, power, options, size and local access to Waterfront Marine are a HUGE step up for me anjd the family.

Oh yea, did I tell you its blue...

Being relatively new to boating, my experience went like this. In 2002, My wife and I hooked up with her cousin. It was an instant match and our families quickly became inseperable and this has cost me a ton of money(LOL). They started inviting us for weekends to their beach house on Long Beach Island in NJ. This was my first regular use of boats. He had a 1987 Monarch 197 and we cruised and fished all over the place. After a few years, we had a running joke that if he ever bought a new boat, I would simply write him a check for the Monarch.

In 2006, standing at the dock having a couple beers looking over the lagoon, he proceeded to tell me about the new boat he bought and he would bring it to LBI the following weekend. Well, I immediately took out my checkbook and said how much. I bought his old boat no questions asked and for 4 months we were able to keep it at his neighbors dock so I could use it anytime. I WAS HOOKED.

In January 2007, my family and I attended the NY Boat show with a meager budget but I was on a mission to buy a new boat. I hooked up with Buster Marine out of Brooklyn and bought a fully loaded Tahoe Q7i which had everything we needed but as I didnt understand boats as yet, I didnt relaize a 5.0L 220HP carbarated Mercruiser with an alpha drive would not satisfy my need to speed and power over the long haul. The Tahoe was a great boat and never left me stranded.

In July 2007, getting backto the tons of money part, my buddy offered me his rental houes (on a logoon) in Little Egg Harbor for the reast of the summer at a cost that other people would have paid for a week or two, which of course we did. Then in November, with the setup complete, after living in the house for 4 months and my boat snuglled nicely at the dock, he said over dinner, "Want to buy it?". After refinancing my 15 year mortgage back to a 30 and taking money out for downpayment and work the house needed, in Decemeber 2007, I now owned a house on a logoon that cost me NET, $500 a month after all was said and done with my finances.

Now to the Chaparral. This year, I went to the NY anjd AC boat shows and WaterFront Marine out of Ocean City NJ, blew me away with a deal on my trade and the new 244 Sunesta with all the power (Volvo-Penta 5.7 GXi w/DP) I could get and loaded is being built and due for delivery the End of April. Althoug my Tahoe was nice and treated me well, the quaility, power, options, size and local access to Waterfront Marine are a HUGE step up for me anjd the family.

Oh yea, did I tell you its blue...

244 came in a month early. Taking delivery 1st week in April. I dont care how cold it is. I AM STOKED!!!

244 came in a month early. Taking delivery 1st week in April. I dont care how cold it is. I AM STOKED!!!

good color choice as well