jayjack

What Chaparral Model and year do you own

125 posts in this topic

Just bought it, well almost stole in..1988 2850sx twin 350 merc alpha 1.. First bought and yeah it's paid for too!!

I have had my little 2002 Chaparral 180SE since. It was brand new when we bought it and has been cared for every year and still looks like new. We also get compliments to this day by people over the road and on the water. The 135HP engine is pretty peppy for this boat and runs well. Maintenance has been very easy as this one is still conventional in its engine makeup. I change the water pump every 3 years and have tuned it up only 3 times in almost 10 years!. it performs like a champ on any lake and holds its own. We hit the ocean every now and then when wave heights will allow and it does well there too

Moving down south and hoping to get a 286 or bigger and I am confident we will find a good one used out there as these boats are built well

Welcome to the Chap family and the unofficial Vintage Chappie Club! :clapsmiley:

Thank you thank you...now if I can just get the bugs worked out...I just found out that there is no onboard battery charger to maintain the batteries when on shore power...don't ask me how I found out.. :-(

We bought our 2008 255 SSi last August and have logged nearly 100 hours. Shortly after buying the boat we joined the United States Power Squadron to take a few boating classes. Little did we know that we would find a group of great people that love to have fun. The Power Squadron experience has taken our boating life from fun to FANTASTIC!

We love the boat and already have a case of the three-foot-itist (you want to move up to a boat 3'-0" larger).

post-8853-1313590000_thumb.jpg

Zing: Where are you located? I just signed up to join the Power Squadron in Patchogue. Right now we boat out of Bluepoint, but will be moving next season. Hy

You have to watch out for that three-foot-itist, next thing you know you are in a large cruiser.

Welcome to the forum Zing . We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers for you to do (if you have not already done so) to help us help you:

1. By clicking on your name in the upper right corner to bring up your options select my profile to add into your signature your location (geographic area).

2. Also under your signature add the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.

3. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.

4. Take a minute to review our Terms of Service, again right corner. There is good information in there that you will want to know including that we cannot discuss pricing. But read some of our other posts on here to learn the work around for that. ;)

5. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.

6. Take some time to look through the Help (upper right corner) and > Info Center) located under Chaparral Boats Forum on the main page. From there you will find parts guides, brochures, manuals, specifications, canvas installation manuals, vinyl care information, square gauge setup, weather links, computer desktop backgrounds, etc. Lots of good stuff there for you and your Chaparral!

7. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger.

:thl_speedboat:

we recently bought a sign 310 2011, we love it , we trade it in from a sign 290 2008, we love the cockpit and interior layout much better. we would not trade it for the world.

Even if it takes a bit more gas the the previous one, its ride is much dryer and more stable, I like to think its because of weight distribution, and the fact that the fresh water tank is in front of the boat.

we ride it on Lake Champlain and it take easily every conditions we can face on this body of water

We highly recommend

Luc

post-5674-1327260000_thumb.jpg

'92 2550 SX Sport. 25' 3" cuddy w/ 454 mag Merc Bravo 1. But, I am "old school" and like the older deep"V" cuddy designs and lines and the simplicity of the older, pre-computer engines, plus can be had pretty reasonably. Bought her December '10 in FL. Son (in the Army) and I did a "road trip" in February '11 and hauled her back to NY (last 100 miles in a blazing snow storm, oh what fun that was !!!!!) using his '09 F150 FX4. Was a great father son experience doing a road trip like that and was probably the best part of the whole thing...

POPS: That sounds great. I can well imagine what that last 100 miles were like. The Hudson Valley is real fun in the winter! My hat's off to your son for his service and to you and the rest of your family for your support. God willing, he'll return to you safe and sound and you can have many adventures and build many memories on you Chaparral. Hy

Well, here I am in Michigan in January and can't think about anything but my "new for me" 2002 Sunesta 243. With a 6.2 L and bravo 3 duo prop, I am hoping for some good speed. This is my third boat, starting with a 16 ft Glastron then an 18 ft Larson, I think the 24 ft Chap will be "just right". Absolutely love this chat room. Already picked up a ton of good info and enjoy everybody that contributes. As soon as the ice gets of the water I will be following up on how great my new boat is...

Our vessel is a 2000 280 SSI with twin 350 mags and BIII outdrives. I love how spacy that it is and the fact that it handles big water well. It handles like a much smaller boat, but is really heavy for it's size.

I love the quality of construction and the fit and finish of the boat. I have no intention of owning any other brand of boat. My next one will be a newer model 290 or 310.

Chaparral rules!!!!

POPS: That sounds great. I can well imagine what that last 100 miles were like. The Hudson Valley is real fun in the winter! My hat's off to your son for his service and to you and the rest of your family for your support. God willing, he'll return to you safe and sound and you can have many adventures and build many memories on you Chaparral. Hy

Professor48,

Thanx for the kind words for my son. He has been back from the "sand box" for over 18 months and was "medically retired" as of last Tuesday, after 10 1/2 years of service, due to combat related injuries sustained while over there. We are just happy to have him delivered back to us, and relieved all the parts are there, but just needed some "rework". He now has a good future to look forward with his "retirement" coming in every month and is now 95% capable to do what he disires.

Thanx again

Bill

Bravo Zulo! Thank your son for his service. Best always for you and your family.

Joe

Thanx Joe, we do all the time. Funny how he and I get in discussions all the time where I say he had it worse in the sand box than I did in SE Asia and he says I had it worse in the jungles than he did in the moonscape of AFG. Funny......

Thanx again

Bill

Bought our 2004 Sign. 310 last summer & am counting the days to get back on the water. Family spent 8 days on Lake Champlain cruising around for our summer week & couldn't be happier.

-Laker Fever

post-9139-1327680000_thumb.jpg

We went to the Toronto boat show January 2011 just to look. I was interested in a fish combo buy my wife would have none of it. She didn't even want a boat. As soon as we walked in she asked for the Chap display. We ended up to it about an hr later. 3 hrs later she bought the 2010 256ssx after I kept giving her every excuotse not too, her answer everytime was "y not" hence the name of her boat...

We had bought a 4-year old 2000 Chaparral 230ssi/350MAG/B3 from a friend (who was the original owner) when he traded-up to a 256ssi. I admit I had 256ssi-envy from the get-go. I had grown up with a 17-foot Mako center console with a Merc 115 outboard, but the wife and my 2 daughters required a head, so the 230ssi was perfect. The 230ssi was a great boat, but we usually entertained with 2 additional families, so we were always doing a head count (the 230ssi capacity was 13 max) before making invites. Four years later in the late Fall of 2008, my dream 2007 256ssi (color combo, options, etc.) appeared on eBay. It was a no sale, so I called the owner and gave him a low-ball number that was half it's original value. He said 'no way', but called me back a week later and said 'wire me the $ and come and get it'. I said I'd be down to sea trial it, and if it was everything he said it was (it only had 35 hours on it), I'd have a certified check for him and I'd drag it home. We drove 14 hours from NJ to Savanah, GA and took it for a ride. It was like new. So now I had 2 boats in my back yard and its November. I posted the 230ssi on Craigslist and I sold it on January 4th in a snow storm for a little bit less than I wanted, but for what I got the 256ssi for who could complain. The 256ssi has been terrific, and we don't have to worry (within reason) of the head count anymore due to the 256's yacht certification. I still go to the boat show every year, and there's nothing that interests me more than my 256ssi.

post-13384-0-05324200-1331062391_thumb.j

Just Bought a 2003 230ssi, haven't even hit the water with it yet. I'm getting so anxious for the weather to break so I can go pick it up from the previous owner and get it on the water. First boat for me and the Admiral so I'm hoping we picked a good one.

I have a 1988 2350sx its not a new boat but im in love with my chapy!!! She realy inpressed me the first time i went out the mouth from the merrimack river, it get pretty ruff there and she feels so solid unlike my previous boat which was a bayliner and it felt like it wanted to come apart.