Sign in to follow this  
millsryno

Who here is the expert on prop selection???

Hello,

I just bought a new to me Sunesta 243 and I need some info on what prop would be ideal. I'm not sure if the prop on there is ideally suited for my needs. It currently has a 26 pitch. We tried to slalom ski behind it and the hull shot left a little to be desired. Boat specs:

2002 Chaparral 243 Sunesta

Mercury 350 MAG 300 HP

Bravo III outdrive with 2.2 gears

Ran it today at 4200 rpm WOT @ 42 mph @ 1700' elevation

I am looking for the best hull shot because we want to ski behind the boat. I will be taking it to Lake Powell in a few weeks and really want to make sure the prop is good for the higher elevation there (3630')

I have searched all over the web for the info with no luck at all. Also, the Mercury Marine website prop selector does not seem to work with my set up???

Is anybody an expert on this? What prop should I be running?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

4200 seems a little low for wot.Should be in the high 4000 or just into 5000. May have a bit too much prop on there. I would say 24 would be normal might need 22 for a good holeshot. You should be able to borrow props from anyone that sells them.

I went through theMerc online tool just fine with your specs. You did not say if you had 3 blades or 4 on your current prop. An extra blade gives you better Hole shot (ie .. more rubber on the road so to speak.) Others will chime in here too. Welcome to the forum!

propcalc0001.jpg

I went through theMerc online tool just fine with your specs. You did not say if you had 3 blades or 4 on your current prop. An extra blade gives you better Hole shot (ie .. more rubber on the road so to speak.) Others will chime in here too. Welcome to the forum!

propcalc0001.jpg

+1. I ran it too and showed 22.5 pitch for all conditions.

propcalc0001.jpg

Thanks. I did not try it with a runabout....it's a deckboat. Do you think it is still accurate?

I figured the weight would be close to the same.

If you can't get it to work with another type post back and I'll giver it another shot. :)

Seeing you want props for water sports in general, I highly recommend the 2008 and newer 4 blade front, 3 blade rear prop set. Faster hole shot, more grip, and more responsive for mid-range punch vs. your current 3 blade front, 3 blade rear prop set.

Hello,

I just bought a new to me Sunesta 243 and I need some info on what prop would be ideal. I'm not sure if the prop on there is ideally suited for my needs. It currently has a 26 pitch. We tried to slalom ski behind it and the hull shot left a little to be desired. Boat specs:

2002 Chaparral 243 Sunesta

Mercury 350 MAG 300 HP

Bravo III outdrive with 2.2 gears

Ran it today at 4200 rpm WOT @ 42 mph @ 1700' elevation

I am looking for the best hull shot because we want to ski behind the boat. I will be taking it to Lake Powell in a few weeks and really want to make sure the prop is good for the higher elevation there (3630')

I have searched all over the web for the info with no luck at all. Also, the Mercury Marine website prop selector does not seem to work with my set up???

Is anybody an expert on this? What prop should I be running?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Listen to Shep as he is our resident expert. And Chief and Matthones did you well also.

:thsmilie_water_119-1: Welcome to the forum millsryno. We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers for you to do (if you have not already done so) to help us help you:

1. By clicking on your name in the upper right corner to bring up your options select my profile to add into your signature your location (geographic area).

2. Also under your signature add the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.

3. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.

4. Take a minute to review our Terms of Service, again right corner. There is good information in there that you will want to know including that we cannot discuss pricing. But read some of our other posts on here to learn the work around for that. ;)

5. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.

6. Take some time to look through the Help (upper right corner) and Info Center located under Chaparral Boats Forum on the main page. From there you will find parts guides, brochures, manuals, specifications, canvas installation manuals, vinyl care information, square gauge setup, weather links, computer desktop backgrounds, etc. Lots of good stuff there for you and your Chaparral!

7. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger. :thsmilie_water_119-1:

You are correct in that you are overpropped with the 26's.

I would suggest 24's, which will get your revs up to about 4600, or 22's, and you should see 5000 RPM @ WOT.

You may loose some top end, but probably not much. Revs at a given speed will be higher, hole shot stronger, and it will take more positive trim.

IMHO, Chaparral overprops many of their boats with B3's. My last 2 Chaparrals were both overpropped. I have not tried the new 4-blade B3 props, I am sure they are an improvement too.

B3 props are expensive. See if your dealer will let you try before you buy. I think you will notice a huge difference in how your boat performs.

brick

I am a newbie here and have the same question, I have a Bravo III with twin 26P stainless props my ride will get up to 47 mph and is about 4900 rpm. I am wondering if the 24's would be better? or a 4 blade primary and a 3 blade 2nd? thanks in advance!

I am a newbie here and have the same question, I have a Bravo III with twin 26P stainless props my ride will get up to 47 mph and is about 4900 rpm. I am wondering if the 24's would be better? or a 4 blade primary and a 3 blade 2nd? thanks in advance!

your right ware you should be.....26p 4900 rpm.

matt

I wonder if there wasn't a mechanical problem with the original poster's engine. I'm not real familiar with running at higher elevations, but still the engine I think either had old fuel or was in need of a tune-up.

Hrlyboy's experience checks out to me, at least for 300' above sea level or so for an older 243 Sunesta with a 350 Mag B3, 2.20 gear ratio and 26" props.

Good to know. I had to have some work done, had old gas, needed to replace the distributor, plugs, etc.. Thanks for the help!

+1 for listen to Shep and agreed that you dont have the right prop now. in my personal experience, I landed with a merc high five stainless steel 5 blade on my 01 233 sunesta, hole shot is great and I only lost 1 mph on top end, and it brought my rpm's up close to the high end of suggested rpm range.

Shep is the expert IMO...

He talked me into switching from factory 26 to 24 on our new 256 SSX. That was a battle with the dealer has they didn't want to go against Chap and Mercury recommendations. I'm told I need to watch out for rev limiter at WOT. Our intentions of using our boat is be similar to yours, wakeboarding and other water sports so the hole shot and mid range is more important than WOT speed. Shep swears this will be the better application for us here in the thousand Islands.

Good luck