Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
89OldSkool187XL

Draining Fuel

20 posts in this topic

My boat sat up about 9 years before I just recently purchased it and were going over it with a fine tooth comb and have gotten new plugs and wires, distributor cap, fresh oil change and the lower unit fluid changed. Now its time to get the old gas out, the only way I know of is the old school garden hose method. Is this gonna work number one and then is ok to pour that Sea Foam stuff in the tank after adding some fuel for the final tune before we get her bottom wet? We also replaced the accelerator pump on the carb. I saw on here where other people had asked about it but never got a straight answer.

I've drained a number of tanks, the way I do it is un-hook the fuel line before the filter and I use a 12 volt electric pump. When the tank is dry, I usually add a few gallons of gas to it and tow the boat around a few miles letting the gas slosh around in there and then I pump it out again.

wncrjb

I've drained a number of tanks, the way I do it is un-hook the fuel line before the filter and I use a 12 volt electric pump. When the tank is dry, I usually add a few gallons of gas to it and tow the boat around a few miles letting the gas slosh around in there and then I pump it out again.

wncrjb

Thanks, That sounds like a plan. I'll go by a parts store and pick me up a pump. I'll post some pics soon. She is a work in progress but I'm hopping to get her right by the end of the weekend. A lot of long nights and maybe pull an all weekender and she'll be detailed and the registration numbers put on her then she'll be off for her photo shoot and a wet bottom.

Yeah, I just bought a cheap 12 volt pump because you know it's going to get trash sucked through it. Also make sure to pick up some rubber fuel hose and some hose clamps.

If I remember right, the pump I got come from advance auto parts and was only like 12 deer, but it still works today.....

wncrjb

Yeah, I just bought a cheap 12 volt pump because you know it's going to get trash sucked through it. Also make sure to pick up some rubber fuel hose and some hose clamps.

If I remember right, the pump I got come from advance auto parts and was only like 12 deer, but it still works today.....

wncrjb

Alright, Yea Advanced is actually where I was gonna head to after work tomorrow. I'm really ready to get it finished, I know I have to take my time and get it right as my old lady constantly reminds me, I'm one of those impatient Young Adults. This little project has been going about four weeks now but I'm really happy with it so far. Were gonna install the stereo and four speakers, sub and amp this weekend and buff and wax her back to her showroom glory. Just in time for some memorial day partying, which will be the first of many more to come I hope.

Please be VERY careful emptying a tank with a 12 volt pump. Gasoline is highly flammable and even 12 volt can cause an explosion if the battery connection happens to spark at any time. I'm not saying don't do it; I'm saying that you make sure the battery connections are as far away from the tank as possible. Use long leads and keep the battery upwind of the pump and hoses. What will you do with the old gasoline? Please dispose of it properly. Maybe it might pay to just bring the boat to a fuel tank clensing company. They can do the job quickly and safely.They will come to you, if necessary. Stay safe. Hy

I had the same situation last week on a used Chap that we just purchased. I was unsure about the condition of the fuel so I pumped it out with a 12 volt elect fuel pump. I did this outside in the driveway and kept all the electrical connections far away from the fuel lines. Also had a fire extinguisher near. Since the transom plug was out at the time I was able to run the 3/8 rubber fuel line thru the hole and into fuel cans near the outdrive. It worked very well, I just kept switching to an empty can as one got nearly filled.

Using an electric pump that is not designed for pumping fuel is very scary! I think I would use a manual type pump and skip the electric pump.

The pump I used for draining the fuel tank is specifically designed for fuel pumping. You can purchase one at any auto parts store. Again, follow all safety practices when working with the fuel system.

Yes, please be safe. We do not need any of our Chappies going

kaboom.jpg

Using an electric pump that is not designed for pumping fuel is very scary!

I guess I should have specified electric FUEL pump... I guess I just took for granted that if you go to advance auto parts, that would be the pump they would give you when you tell them what you are doing with it...... my bad :tofunny:

wncrjb

Hy brings up a good question. Where do you take the old stuff???? I guess you could do it the BP way and just spill it in the Gulf and burn it :huh: Just kidding of course. But I would have to ask where to take it, it's not like you'd want to run it in your car, which is often what I do with my spare lawn mower fuel at the beginning of each season.

Years ago we would pour it on fire ants and set it on fire, but I guess that is not a good thing. Not sure what the marina does with it when they pump it out, maybe they put it in their tank and resale it. :scratchchin:

The fastest way to drain the tank is to start the motor! LOL

:dancinguy::banana2::dancinguy:

Especially with twins and 15-20 gph fuel burn rate........thsmilie_water_119-1.gifhaha-7383.gifhaha-7383.gif

since the boat has been sitting that long might be a good idea to check the fuel screen and sender, while its out get one of those batt. operated kerosene pumps and siphon the fuel, just add a longer discharge hose to it,that's what I do.

as far as getting rid of the fuel if its over 5 gallons call a local car scrap yard, they should take it for a few deer.

Thanks for all the help, I ended up getting an inline pump for a 1980 something Honda POS. It worked out great. I cleaned to Carb out and we tested on the earmuffs with great success. We dipped it in the water for about a half an hour at a small lake about twenty minutes from the house and beat on her good for a little while. Nothing broke and it should get its final clean up and detail by Friday if we can get a break in the weather, all i got left is the stereo install and were ready for our Memorial day weekend camping trip on Jordan Lake.

Years ago we would pour it on fire ants and set it on fire, but I guess that is not a good thing. Not sure what the marina does with it when they pump it out, maybe they put it in their tank and resale it. :scratchchin:

Still works but your not supposed to light it. Punch hole with pipe. pour in old fuel, Throw shovel of dirt on the top to trap fumes.

;)

The fumes do all the work