Sign in to follow this  
Falcon121

5.7 vs 5.0

I'm looking for a 2002-2006 Chaparral Sunesta/SSI 23-26ft. my price range is around [pricing discussion not permitted] anyways my question is how big or noticable is the difference between the 5.7L compared to the 5.0L. I know for a vehicle it can be pretty significant. We will be doing alot of tubing and wakeboarding, and I was looking for someones personal expierence on the matter of engine size. Thanks Matt

Edited by Chaparral Web Team
[pricing discussion not permitted]

IMHO, the bigger the better, especially if you'll be doing a lot of tubing and wakeboarding.

I'm looking for a 2002-2006 Chaparral Sunesta/SSI 23-26ft. my price range is around $25,000 anyways my question is how big or noticable is the difference between the 5.7L compared to the 5.0L. I know for a vehicle it can be pretty significant. We will be doing alot of tubing and wakeboarding, and I was looking for someones personal expierence on the matter of engine size. Thanks Matt

If you get a boat at what you set at your limit 26' then both are too small go w/ the 8.2, little more gas but its more fun to ride on top of the water when skiing then to be dragged through it.

There are times I wish I had the 350 Mag in my 210 (22footer). Alas, I ended up with the 5.0 MPI. For what you are looking at minimum motor should be the 5.7. If you go larger on the boat into the 25-26 foot range, go even bigger on the motor, say 8.1. You need the added torque from the larger motor to help in the water sports activities you suggested. Welcome to the club and happy hunting!

If you get a boat at what you set at your limit 26' then both are too small go w/ the 8.2, little more gas but its more fun to ride on top of the water when skiing then to be dragged through it.

Yeah I completely agree but this is one of those things where the wife asked for a bigger boat (she's not into the toys like I am) and I'm all for it but, we just can't see eye to eye on how much to spend.

Just bought a 2007 236 ssi which is 24 feet long for 23,000 deer. That was without a trailer. It has the 5.7 and has plenty of power with a top speed of around 50. The best part is the hours per gallon. Been out 5 times and have used less than 1/2 tank of fuel. But now that I have it, I wish I would have gone with something a bit bigger with a small cuddy. And if I went a little bigger, I believe the 5.7 would be a tad under powered. On the other hand, I believe your budget would not get you into a nice boat if it was more then 25 feet or long.

Yeah I completely agree but this is one of those things where the wife asked for a bigger boat (she's not into the toys like I am) and I'm all for it but, we just can't see eye to eye on how much to spend.

I don't know about your house hold, but in mine the Admiral normally gets what she wants.

Go with the bigger engine, in this case size does matter.

I'm personally not a big fan of the 5.0L vs. the 5.7L. Not so much the hp numbers, but available torque. IMHO, the real question is which version of 5.7L to get. For a boat in the size range you're looking at, I highly recommend a 350 Mag MPI with Bravo 3, or 5.7L GXi with Duo-Prop. The drive is at least as important as the engine, for thrust, docking control, fuel economy, and all around usage.

i.e. get a fuel injected, 5.7L (350 cid) twin prop powertrain in your choice of Chaparral hull.

For the actual boat, if looking at a bow rider, than a Chaparral 230 SSi (or newer 246 SSi) with the extended V-Plane is an excellent starting point. If you want a cuddy, than it's sister 235 SSi with extended V-Plane. Simply awesome hull for this size range of boat class. (LOA 24' 11" with the extended swim platform, with a deep 22 degrees transom deadrise)

280-320 hp small block MPI twin prop powertrain will push these models just fine in my experience. If you want more power, get a 8.1L/496 cid.

I have another question, Living in western Pa. there isn't may boat dealers around and they have very limited selections of used boats. Is there any other places to look other than boat trader or ebay?

You can never be too rich, to thin, or have too much horse power. This month one of the boat mags did a test of engine sizes in the same hull and surprisingly the bigger engines also got better mileage to go with the bigger smiles. You don't have to whip the horses as hard to get the same results.

I have another question, Living in western Pa. there isn't may boat dealers around and they have very limited selections of used boats. Is there any other places to look other than boat trader or ebay?

I believe the best places are Trader and eBay. Although I find Trader has more selection and often better prices. One suggestion would be not to limit you search area. There are more boats in South Florida and Tampa area than any place in the U.S. in my opinion. If you are willing to make a trip(with a good trailer) or pay someone like Uship.com it will be worth the time. Now, if you are a little more adventurous than that, check out Auctionzip.com. Auctionzip will take some time to understand, but in short it is a search engine for public auctions. Once you have bought at an action you will have a hard time ever buying retail again. If you really want to save some money and have a real set of balls check out this link.... www.treas.gov/auctions/treasury/gp/ . This is government seizure auction. The real deal. You can get killer deals but watch out for the boats with 50cal holes in the hull. No kidding.. By now you may be sorry u asked this question, but here is one more... http://yachtauctions.com/index.php .. Yachtauctions is a true online public auction and has one #$^% of a selecton that changes day to day. Check it out and pay no attention to the listed price. They are just suggested prices. You make them a offer. But be careful. If they except your offer you are in contract with them to purchase the vessel. This is part of what I do for a living, so sorry for long winded post.

back in my drag racing days, the saying was " no replacement for displacement"...... go with the biggest engine you can squeeze in there. IMHO

wncrjb

I've got 250hp 5.7L with Bravo III pushing my 2135 Cuddy. Boat's dry weight is around 3500 lbs. It performs fine, but I have yet to pull any toys or skiers, so I can't testify to how well it will do there. Top end is around 50mph, however if I were looking at anything bigger than 23 footer I'd need a bigger engine. I definately wouldn't consider a 5.0L in the size boat you're looking for.

I'm looking for a 2002-2006 Chaparral Sunesta/SSI 23-26ft. my price range is around $25,000 anyways my question is how big or noticable is the difference between the 5.7L compared to the 5.0L. I know for a vehicle it can be pretty significant. We will be doing alot of tubing and wakeboarding, and I was looking for someones personal expierence on the matter of engine size. Thanks Matt

Hi matt , i have a 210 ssi with the 5.0 gxi bravo three leg with duo prop . the only real difference i would consider is the hole shot . i can pull a three man tube with three teens around the 150 lb mark each with not to much trouble or a wake boarder at around 160 . the only trouble i have had is with anyone over the 180 lb mark its a little sluggish out of the hole . same with the three on the tube other than that its all good . with myself and the misses half tank of fuel ive topped out at 62 mph that was when the boat was new 2007.good luck to you and the misses

I've got a 256 SSi with the Volvo 5.7L, 320 hp engine. I don't do a lot of water sports but what I have tried I haven't had any problems yet. The key is to get the most HP you can for whatever boat you decide on. As others have said, "no replacement for displacement".

+1 the bigger the better. I would buy the biggest engine you can afford for your boat. I posted a topic just like this not too long ago when i was debating on the 06 246 SSI I just bought (LOA 24'11"). It has the Volvo 5.7 GI DP on it and I wasn't sure if it was going to be enough engine to load up the boat with people and pull a skier/wakeboarder/tuber. Everyone I talked to on here, and a couple boat mechanics I know, said it would be plenty. Well they were right. I went out on it all day yesterday with a total of 5 adults, (averaging 160lbs) and didn't have a problem at all. Grant it I know thats not a lot of weight but we did have a ton of gear as well and even with that load she had plenty of power and even more in reserve. At times I was towing 3 people on the tube with 2 still in the boat and she just shrugged it off as if it was no big deal. A few times when we had 4 in the boat and 1 wakeboarding, the boat actually would rip the rope right out of their hands with the hole shot. Then again that could have been the wakeboarder's fault :) Grant it I have a wakeboard tower as well so that helps a lot with the hole shot. Would I have liked the bigger engine, lets say the 8.1? Heck yeah I would have, but they were hard to find used for my boat and thats also more weight and more gas and a little more deer when it comes to maintenance. Also, we were out all day doing mostly water sports (high power initially, lots of stop and go's) and some cruising and the fuel gauge just barely read less then full when we parked her at the marina. But then again we all know accurate those things can be. ;) In a nutshell, get the biggest engine your wife will let you and definitely go for the Dual Prop. Let us know how things work out!

When it comes to that engine in the stern, BIGGER is Better and Yes, There's no Replacement for Displacement!

I just opened my June issue of Trailer Boats (Pg. 16) and there is your dream engine! Check out this link http://www.powerboatmag.com/mercury-racing-s-new-engine-drive.html

Move up from that 5.7L to Mercury Racing's New QC4V 9.0L (552-cid) aluminum block 1350 hp.

Dual overhead cams with 4 valves per cylinder.

Twin water-cooled turbochargers with an aftercooler

Full throttle RPM range: 6000 - 6500

91 Octane fuel

Flat torque curve at 1300 ft. lbs. from 2500 - 5500 rpm

Weight: 1606

Engine meets all FED EPA and CA emission standards and comes with a one year factory warranty.

Of course your going to need a new drive to handle the power so step up to Mercury's new surface-piercing sterndrive with hydraulic dry-sump transmission which is reportably 35% stronger that anything before it.

And the package price? Hold on to your hat...you are going to need to own a couple of deer ranches in the lower 48...only 202,530 of our large antlered friends. Of course the package is available in your choice of colors.

Edited by mckayj

Welcome to the group..... :oregonian_winesmiley:

If you stay with a boat in the 23'- 24' range a 5.7 weather its 300hp or 320hp you should have enough to get you by from what I've read here and in other forums.

The Guys with 256's say a 320hp is just fine and a 256 is a heavy boat.

matt