Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iachap

Boat won't start

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a 2006 204 SSI. I tried to start the boat after a long hard winter. The boat was running and winterized properly by certified dealer. Charged batteries, and when I turn the key, nothing happens. The gauges do not even respond. It is acting like no voltage is getting to the key. Bilge, Blowers, Stereo, lights and trim all work. I have not ruled out the batteries at this point, but both of them going bad at the same time? There is a breaker box under the steering wheel, and I pressed it, so I don't think it is tripped. I also tried to push the main circuit on the motor. Red button, and that did not work. I don't know where to look for another fuse or relay. Can anyone give me some input here? Yes I searched, but could not find anything on the forum. I do have a battery selector switch (Aftermarket) that has been installed since the boat was new. I also messed with the forward and reverse gear selector thinking it may be stuck. It appears to be ok. I also checked the kill swith (Toggle), it appears to be ok also.

Most usually one of your batteries is the "house" battery which does everything except start your engine. The other battery is used exclusively for starting. If you can determine which is your starting battery, check for the obvious loose battery terminal connections. Don't know what starting system you have but if it's a GM style starter, the big red wire at the solenoid (on the starter motor) should have 12+ volts on it all the time. If it does, then you have a problem elsewhere such as the solenoid itself or a slave solenoid, nuetral switch or even the ignition switch. An electrical diagram and a voltmeter should help you find the culprit. Hope this helps.....

I tried a trick of jumping a wire on the key switch. I jumped the red/yellow/red wire. It did not crank over. If I read right, it is not my switch. I need to wait until my neighbor gets home so I can borrow his multimeter.

Thanks for the tips.

Not to sound stupid here but did you check the emergency toggle switch below the trim gear shift. I was on the lake once and my son bumped it. It looked like it was up but I spent about 1/2 hr in the engine compartment before I just decided to go over and push it up. started right up.

Not to sound stupid here but did you check the emergency toggle switch below the trim gear shift. I was on the lake once and my son bumped it. It looked like it was up but I spent about 1/2 hr in the engine compartment before I just decided to go over and push it up. started right up.

Disregard. I missed the part that said you checked that.

Hey chunk, I see you are in Omaha. I am in Council Bluffs. I have a yellow 2006 204 SSI. Boat on Lake Manawa and the Dirty Missouri.

Not sure about a fuse, and I am not very mechanical but I think I have a circuit breaker on top of the starter relay. I did push it but no luck. Am I missing a fuse somewhere?

What make and series engine do you have? If it's a Merc, I can scan a copy of an older wiring diagram and post it here which might help with troubleshooting.

Suspect this fuse, item #27. It connects to the (A) terminal on the starter and the battery positive wire.

Square20Merc20Fuse.png

Starter20Solenoid.png

Well, I figured it out. I have literally been working and troubleshooting and reading for 4-5 hours. I am an idiot. After using a multi-meter and tracing and looking, there is a master battery switch under my rear bench seat. I have not turned it off in 4 years. The new dealer I went to must have turned it off. I flipped it and the juice kicked on. I use my battery switch 100% of the time to turn it off, I didn't even know that one was there. Sorry for the bother, but I learned quite a bit today.