Sign in to follow this  
Comfort Zone

Depth Gauge Problem

I know this post has appeared several times but I have searched and have not found the answer to my question. My Faria depth guage (original equipment) has not been working correctly. At first it was just reading all over the place, now it is only blinking 0.0. Based on a suggestion from a previous post, I replaced the transducer. Still no change, blinking 0.0.

I have checked all the connections that I can find and everything appears tight? Does anyone have another suggestion?

I know this post has appeared several times but I have searched and have not found the answer to my question. My Faria depth guage (original equipment) has not been working correctly. At first it was just reading all over the place, now it is only blinking 0.0. Based on a suggestion from a previous post, I replaced the transducer. Still no change, blinking 0.0.

I have checked all the connections that I can find and everything appears tight? Does anyone have another suggestion?

The last two brand new boats I have had (NON Chap) both had in the dash Faria depth guages hooked up to thru hull transducers. Both never really worked that great if at all. I never worried about it much as I installed a GPS plotter/Depth sounder combo that had a transom mount transducer,speed sensor, and temp prob so that was waaaaay more accurate than the crappy thru hull stuff. Just turned the guage off after that.

Are you sure it is wired correctly. I just looked at the pamphlet that came with mine and they have some notes.

they state: If the transducer cable is not plugged into the depth sounder, the display will blink when the power is applied to the unit.

also another note: The bare and black wire must be twisted together from the transducer and connected to the black wire to the display. Blue to blue. (hard plastic connector in back of display.

other wiring for remote switched; (pigtail out of the back of the unit)

black = grnd

purple = key on power

Then, make sure you are in the correct mode and not in the shallow water/deep water alarm portion or keel offset.

hope this helps

Sounds to me the likely source is the transducer or the connections/ cables to the transducer. When you replaced the transducer, did you pull the cable as well? Check every inch to make sure there is no cuts or severe crimps in cable then perhaps the back of the gauge making sure the cable is secure and free from corrosion.

Thanks for the help. I ordered the new transducer from a Chap dealer to replace the original equipment. It came wired with a water tight connector that connects to the wire coming from the gauge. No wiring was necessary. I've checked all the other connections I can find. I can't check the mode becuase none of the buttons on the gauge will respond.

I think the charplotter idea sounds pretty good. Thanks again.

The last two brand new boats I have had (NON Chap) both had in the dash Faria depth guages hooked up to thru hull transducers. Both never really worked that great if at all. I never worried about it much as I installed a GPS plotter/Depth sounder combo that had a transom mount transducer,speed sensor, and temp prob so that was waaaaay more accurate than the crappy thru hull stuff. Just turned the guage off after that.

I have a 08 264 with the all in in-one gauge depth etc... and I'm on my second one and the goofy thing is the manufacturer supposedly won't send a new one until you give them the serial number of the old one and/or send them the old one how nuts is that!!! CHap I think you need to rethink your supply approval process! I have a garmin GPS as well and would like to convert it to combo like you mention. How'd you mount the transducer? Can you post a picture?