Ollie

Took out Lower Unit....

Slide Rule? You mean only one person goes down the sliding board before the next person goes???rolleyes.gif

Slide Rule? You mean only one person goes down the sliding board before the next person goes???rolleyes.gif

The rule is no speedos on the slide! :drink-buddy:

Ollie..

Ive been watching with interest. Whats the latest on your boat ? I feel for you brother... I had a minor issue 5 days after I bought my (first) boat this last month, and that week was agony while everyone was telling me that the shop that had the boat was totally incompitent. Nice !

I can only imagine what your going through.

What irritates me the most... it seems that many marine techs like to speak about whats under that engine cover, is this mystical beast not to be gazed upon by mere mortals. Avert your eyes !! Repent !! Let us not speak of that which we do not speak...of.

The guy that fixed mine all but chastised me for removing the three screws on the distributor cap to check the points in order to troubleshoot a starting issue. Seriously ??

Anyway... hopefully by now your out on the water with family and friends.

Keith

Ollie..

Ive been watching with interest. Whats the latest on your boat ? I feel for you brother... I had a minor issue 5 days after I bought my (first) boat this last month, and that week was agony while everyone was telling me that the shop that had the boat was totally incompitent. Nice !

I can only imagine what your going through.

What irritates me the most... it seems that many marine techs like to speak about whats under that engine cover, is this mystical beast not to be gazed upon by mere mortals. Avert your eyes !! Repent !! Let us not speak of that which we do not speak...of.

The guy that fixed mine all but chastised me for removing the three screws on the distributor cap to check the points in order to troubleshoot a starting issue. Seriously ??

Anyway... hopefully by now your out on the water with family and friends.

Keith

WOW Keith, I couldn't have described it better myself.

Thanks for asking, the latest is, the shop finally admitted defeat last week and called in a local "Boat God" of sorts. The boat god spent all day last Friday, and after trying everything he could think of to diagnose the loss of power problem, decided to do a compression test on all the cylinders, even though it had been done a month ago, he found that #7 and #8 cylinders were extremely low, about 100 psi each. They should be up around 185. The theory is, that on impact, I somehow sucked water into the motor and it hydro locked the two rear cylinders. Initially, the problem wasn't noticed, but as time went on, and we used the boat on weekends. The two rear cylinders degraded.

So, long story short, the motor is in pieces. The insurance guy is going by the shop today to look at what failed in the motor (valves or rings) get an estimate, and hopefully cut another check to rebuild the motor. Hopefully all this will get done this week. My daughter has a birthday party with all her little friends on Saturday out on the water, and she is gonna be UPSET if we don't have our boat....

Ollie

Sounds like we're BOTH in the market for a new shop. Well... at the very least they have nailed down the issue amd are on the right track. The wondering is always the worst for me.

Good luck to you... and heres to a great b-day party !

Keep us updated. Cheers !

Keith

Hey Ollie,

I'm the newbie that emailed you early on about the possible ratio mix up during the outdrive repair. Clearly they found a big issue, but did anyone ever check that outdrive through and through? Going to ROCK when you get a perfectly refurbed motor by the insurance guy and then the boat "GOD" finds out that the outdrive is wrong!!

Maybe an experienced guy could tell us if you can mix up a gear or two during a rebuild and inadvertantly cause a different ratio than what is stamped on the case. Is this possible?

Hope you get back on the water soon.

Man I feel your pain....hope they get it fixed soon!

I did a very similar thing with 30 hrs on my boat. It took several trips into the shop to get it correct. It was like magic the shop keep getting paid more funds by the insurance company with every trip. The shop was paid more for fixing the outdrive than a new drive and install would have been. My boat ran better when I took it into their shop than when I got it back and they treated me rude when I wanted it correct.....nice business model some of them display.

Hey Ollie,

I'm the newbie that emailed you early on about the possible ratio mix up during the outdrive repair. Clearly they found a big issue, but did anyone ever check that outdrive through and through? Going to ROCK when you get a perfectly refurbed motor by the insurance guy and then the boat "GOD" finds out that the outdrive is wrong!!

Maybe an experienced guy could tell us if you can mix up a gear or two during a rebuild and inadvertantly cause a different ratio than what is stamped on the case. Is this possible?

Hope you get back on the water soon.

Hey Tree Top,

My Dad and little sister live in Huntsville. My mom used to be she moved to D.C. couple of months ago for work.... anyway...

I did check on the incorrect gears. They told me that they did not have to replace that part of the outdrive. So my orginal gears are still in there.

As of this morning, they had not pulled the heads off yet. They are looking to see if the valves have "tuliped". They informed me late yesterday that Mercury put in a bad batch of valves for a couple of years and my boat year was included in that.

Still waiting to hear.....

Man I feel your pain....hope they get it fixed soon!

I did a very similar thing with 30 hrs on my boat. It took several trips into the shop to get it correct. It was like magic the shop keep getting paid more funds by the insurance company with every trip. The shop was paid more for fixing the outdrive than a new drive and install would have been. My boat ran better when I took it into their shop than when I got it back and they treated me rude when I wanted it correct.....nice business model some of them display.

Man PDX boater.. sounds exactly like my shop. I think someone said in an earlier post that it must be an industry standard or something... I was noticing this morning while I was at their shop that they have had "100% Customer Satisfaction" plaques the last few years... I wonder how many percentage points my dissatisfaction will count for... I wonder who at Chaparral would listen?? hmmmmm??