Sign in to follow this  
stingtimeboat

2005 SSI 220 stops and starts

I have a 2005 SSI 220 with 5.0 MPI 260 hp Bravo III.

Ran great last season,but when I took out for the first time this season the boat ran great but when you get up to around 30 MPH

it would lose power then regain power.After taking it out a couple of times,it seems like it will run fine up to around 3000 RPM

and 20-24 MPH with out any problems.Anymore than that it will lose power then regain.Any thoughts

Echo the comments on the old/stale fuel. Another possibility is corroded up distributor cap. Need a Torx 20 to check the underside of the distributor cap. These caps are not cheap, but cleaning the terminals may be all that's required.

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/5.0L_MPI_ALPHA-BRAVO/884717/8093-50

NOTE: care should be taken when removing the 2 screws. The dist cap assy is plastic, and breaking a tab off that holds one of the screws is not a cheap fix.

Here's another posible culprit; main engine/instrument harness on the engine itself. Sometimes need to spread the male terminals to provide a good contact. NOTE: care should be taken not to overtighten the gear clamp that holds the harness connection together.

engineharnesscannonplug.jpg

Lastly, does the audio alarm emit a single beep when you turn the key to the 'on' position from 'off' with the battery switch turned to the 'on' or battery 1 position?

Yes is does sound a one audible alert when you turn key to on position.Thanks for all the replies.We have tried some of the possibilities,but will try some this weekend.The funny thing is that it only seems to happen over 3000 rpm.You can run all day it seems under 3000 RPM.

I will add that we did take the coil wire off and did find a bunch of gunk on one side which we cleaned out yesterday.Dont know why it was on one side and not another or where it came from,but we did clean it.

I will add that we did take the coil wire off and did find a bunch of gunk on one side which we cleaned out yesterday.Dont know why it was on one side and not another or where it came from,but we did clean it.

Thank You everybody for your suggestions.Just thought I would let everybody know that I think we got a fix to the problem.It was either a coil line or a sligtly kinked fuel line from the gas tank.Took it out this weekend and it worked great.Thanks again for all the suggestions.