seasaw

Lack of Quality from Chaparral

89 posts in this topic

I'm really beginning to wonder about the Quality of my boat. Seems like every two weeks I have to bring it back for something breaking, or order a part for it to replace.

lets see, here is my list:

1. sink faucet break

2. transom shower housing broke.

3. multi gauge foged up.

4. Gas guage quit working ( replaced sending unit )

5. wire broke on trim switch at throttle control.

6. Water in bilge ( swim deck leaking where upper and lower fits together ).

7. fresh water pump shaft came out.

8. outdrive lube line came off or broke ( lube oil in bilge).

9. Depth transducer quit working.

10 ski pilon won't come up. ( have to use pliers to lift )

11. transom shower housing broke again.

To me it is getting very costly to take to dealer all the time. 400 miles total. To me chapparral dealer's should help in the cost or throw in a tank of gas. It makes me wonder if this was a good purchase. don't get me wrong it is a great looking boat, Love it out on the lake, Just it stays at dealer more than in water. it only has 92 hours on it.

Sorry that you have had so many problems. FWIW I have a zero issues with my 07 256 and I use the crap out of it.

My boat was in the shop too frequently the first year as well getting items like you mentioned fixed. My opinion is Chaparral uses quality materials, but they need a tighter quality control in the assembly process. If you can tolerate it, work through the issues you are having and I expect your second season to be more trouble free. I would also continue to keep your list and if you do reach a breaking point, contact Chaparral and calmly explain the issues you've had with them.

For what is it worth, I've also has a couple of other boats each with its own set of issues. I don't think you've bought a lemon.

Eric

Yea work with Chappy. These unfortunately are the pains of buying a NEW boat. Also as the economy tanked many companies tried to run manufacturing way lean so the assembly process suffers. If the the dealer does not stup i would get Chap on the line I am sure they will be accomodating.

I think most everyone who buy a new boat has issues the first year. Also many of the items that have problems are those that Chaps buys from another manufacturer and simply installs. It's a shame that some of the installs are done poorly. The owner has the options to repair some of these problems themselves if they feel they can do it. It looks like some of the items on the list are easy fixes that really would not require a 400 mile trip to the dealer.

I guess I was fortunate that my dealer is a 20 minute boat ride. That was one of the reason we picked Chap (locality of the dealer).

Good luck on getting your fixes taken care of. Your 2nd year will be more trouble free than the 1st.

This post resonates with my frustrations.

As well as many other defects and deficiencies on delivery of my Sig. 250, the most troubling has been wet carpet in the cabin (subject of several previous posts).

It has escalated further unfortunately.

• We thought rain water - techs could find no leaks while inspecting in the pouring rain.
  • We thought rain water getting into the grey water sump via the cockpit sink (sealed the drain, no rain...more water in cabin)
  • Chaparral is focusing on the grey water sump box, but there is way too much water for that and there should be no source of water into the sump while its sitting in the marina
  • The tech yesterday vacuumed 3 full wet-vac's off thaty small area of carpet. The carpet glue has dissolved and created a slime on the carpet (the carpet appears to be ruined)and has also stained the bilge.
  • The boat is listing to port, with a 3/4 full fresh water tank (port side), more than usual - the tech fears an accumulation of lake water somewhere, flowing slowly into the cabin.
  • The boat is being pulled out and taken to the local dealer's shop today and we won't have a boat this weekend.

It is six weeks since delivery and I have an unusable and damaged boat which has never achieved 'delivery condition'.

I am not happy with the way my dealer is addressing this. I appear to be an annoyance and they reluctantly take some action when pestered.

When/how does one escalate an issue like this? Is there a Chaparral phone number or email I can contact?

Paul

:slap:

For the amount of $$ these boats cost, especially the bigger one's, to me anyways, this sort of stuff is inexcusable. I guarantee that Chaparral would be paying for my gas as well as some other freebies I needed for my boat.......I'd push the issue if it were me, making these 400 mile trips.

For the amount of $$ these boats cost, especially the bigger one's, to me anyways, this sort of stuff is inexcusable. I guarantee that Chaparral would be paying for my gas as well as some other freebies I needed for my boat.......I'd push the issue if it were me, making these 400 mile trips.

I agree quality should be better but I still love my Chappy. Both my previous SSI 256 and my current SSI 220 have had quality issues ( loose screws, scratchs and dings at delivery, spider cracks, and numerous Volvo Penta issues ( another story ) . We all need to demand better quality control . Can you imagine buying a Lexus ( same price as my boat ) and having it delivered with scratches, dings, and loose screws???

Blue Idea

I agree quality should be better but I still love my Chappy. Both my previous SSI 256 and my current SSI 220 have had quality issues ( loose screws, scratchs and dings at delivery, spider cracks, and numerous Volvo Penta issues ( another story ) . We all need to demand better quality control . Can you imagine buying a Lexus ( same price as my boat ) and having it delivered with scratches, dings, and loose screws???

Blue Idea

This issue has been discussed many times here, so I will just make my comment short and to the point...

Lexus=boat....nope. Lexus is built on an assembly line, boat is a hand built one-off. You will never see a new boat without some type of punch list for items to be corrected.....

Chaparral can do better. We should demand better.... I love my dealer but even they should try to fix scratches and dings before delivery. I have owned a number of boats over a 30 year period and I think quality control has declined even though technology and styling has improved.

This issue has been discussed many times here, so I will just make my comment short and to the point...

Lexus=boat....nope. Lexus is built on an assembly line, boat is a hand built one-off. You will never see a new boat without some type of punch list for items to be corrected.....

Assembly line or not, if they are hand built....i would expect higher quality.......no excuse for the lack of attention to detail........In the cheaper boats, could almost see it, but not in these very, very expensive boats.......just not buying into that. I'm in the new car business, (have been for over 22 years) and to be perfectly honest, i'm a little surprised at the QC complaints that I see here on the board......maybe it's just me, but when people are spending 100 to 200+ very large herds of deer, QC should be impeccable. If I was ever in the position to purchase one of these types of boats new, I would still get a Chaparral, because I think they're the nicest boat out there, but I would be highly upset if it were me, and I would insist that Chaparral or the dealer reimburse me in some way for problems that kept popping up, especially if it wasn't fixed right the first time, especially if it was a 400 mile round trip!!! They should send a Tech to your location with these very high end boats!! :Twocents:

Assembly line or not, if they are hand built....i would expect higher quality.......no excuse for the lack of attention to detail........In the cheaper boats, could almost see it, but not in these very, very expensive boats.......just not buying into that. I'm in the new car business, (have been for over 22 years) and to be perfectly honest, i'm a little surprised at the QC complaints that I see here on the board......maybe it's just me, but when people are spending 100 to 200+ very large herds of deer, QC should be impeccable. If I was ever in the position to purchase one of these types of boats new, I would still get a Chaparral, because I think they're the nicest boat out there, but I would be highly upset if it were me, and I would insist that Chaparral or the dealer reimburse me in some way for problems that kept popping up, especially if it wasn't fixed right the first time, especially if it was a 400 mile round trip!!! They should send a Tech to your location with these very high end boats!! :Twocents:

I do agree Chaparral needs to control Quality, had 2 Boston Whaler before, different problems, none with Quality.

IMO have read your list and with exception of the deck and hull joint how in the world can Chap. be blamed or faulted for those other issues.

How can you blame Chap. for a sink faucet breaking?? Was it installed incorrectly because that’s all chap. did was install it. Now if it was install incorrectly then that’s a different story.

I know you don’t think Chap built the MerCruiser throttle handle do you??

Was it installed correctly?? Because again that’s all Chap. did was install it.

I know you want to vent, but are you being fair? Teleflex (sold the gauge division to Veethree)

They did not go to Chaparral and say hey we got these gauges that fog up wanta buy some.

Because thats the only way Chap. could there was a problem w/ these gauges.

There can be issues w/ new boats for a variety of reasons, but if you have a good dealer they will take care of each and every issue.

I believe you buy where you boat or the dealer has to agree to go to the boat as we do or just buy a different brand of boat.

The 256 is one of our best selling boats and have not seen anywhere near the amount of issues you have experienced.

By the way I have to ask was boat a DEMO or was it in a boat show because that could explain a lot.

NJ Chappy Dealer, I am new here but I think your post is way out of line. When you pay what we do for these boats, Quality shouldn't be an issue. Everyone in manufacturing has sub-contractors. The manufacturer is still the point of contact. Ford may get their engine from someone else but it is still Fords issue when something is not right. For too long boat mfgrs. and dealer have been allowed to deliver stuff that would never be allowed in another industry. I have had great luck whth my 260SSI and always recommend them to others but some of the quality issues are just $% poor QA at the point of the manufacturer and the dealer before delivery.

Sprig

Maybe Chap should look for new suppliers/contractors then.........one's that make better quality parts, so yes it is Chaps fault.

I've been in manufacturing QA for over 30 years and varying industries from aerospace, automotive and even a short contract stint in boats. I gotta agree with Sprig's main point. The american boating industry has a lot in common with the big three 35 years ago...a willingness to accept (and justify) mediocrity as the best they can do considering the circumstances.

I realize that boats and cars is a bit like apples and oranges, but the core of the problem in the boat industry and dealer network is attitude. I also realize that change is difficult and usually avoided by most. But it's real change that the boating business needs. Unfortunately it needs to be a unified change too, because so many use industry wide products and components. Unless a company decides to build the better mouse-trap and make (or contract) custom components of superior design and materials.

Customers demand better nowadays. Manufactures, dealers and component manufacturers need to push themselves out of their comfort zone in order to get to the next plateau of customer expectations. While Chaparral has made a quite a few changes in this tough economy, it's not good enough to just have shiney new designs that make people want to buy. Today you need to make people want to buy AGAIN! And that only happens when they're satified with a prior ownership.

:thththsoapbox2-1: I'm done now! ;)

*Note:

My statement is general. I do realize that there are some great dealers out there and there are also some PITA customers too.

I also would never buy a boat from a dealer that is so far away, unless I was willing to take on issues myself.

I want to make one thing very clear, my dealer on Grand Lake has gone far above the warranty. I would be ashamed to buy from anyone else after the good service he has given us. Never the less, my point above stands.

Sprig

I am a service rep for my company and have seen things like this alot. In my opinion it all goes back to the person in purchasing doing their job well. Think about it, all mfg. regardless of what it is want to buy the most economically priced component part so that the true cost to build their product is low. Cheaper it is to build+annual price increase=more profit. When it comes to component parts you get what you pay for. That's my .02 cents worth.

This is a great discussion by the way! I have found an odd correlation between price and the quality of goods delivered. It seems when you buy something large expensive and complex it is almost to be expected that there will be a follow round of assembly/fixing. Case in point: take this list for example. Houses, Construction equipment, exotic cars, Airplanes etc. Each one of these items is in the 100K deer range and all of them all come with some sort of check list to follow up to make things right. Not sure why this happens, but at that level it happens. I have seen two Ferarris go back to the shop for clutches 50 miles after leaving the dealer lot. I have seen many boats go back to dealers with long punch lists. I design construction equipment and I see many large machines go through an overhaul checkup after being commisioned.

I can't help but think about the difference between old Sea Ray boats and New Sea Ray boats though. There was a time not too long ago you could buy a Sea Ray and expect a serious sea going vessel that could take a beating. I have seen guys using these old ones for fishing vessels in the gulf! Today they make an OK boat but it has the same deliver problems Chap does if not worse. The industry has to many cooks in the pot, and are using lean manufacturing methods and cheap components parts and labor to try and look good to stock holders and put money in their pocket while we suffer. On top of that management thinks they are doing the right thing with this behavior and they believe ths model can be used with broad brush strokes with success. Unfortunately the Toyota model is the exception to the rule no matter how bad they would love to believe every company can pull it off.

:drink-buddy: While I am not familiar withe the 256 I am appalled at the Sig 250. I agree with Bob. Buying a 2 yr old new boat is going to be a local dealer dependent purchase or you should be willing to tackle problems yourself. Hours should have been spent on that two year old boat by the dealer before delivery. A good sea trail should have shown these issues and repairs made. Sounds like the dealer may have taken a loss on the sale & hates to see that boat in his shop. I do hope the dealer is able to make the repairs quickly, I know Chap will give him the necessary support to make the repairs... If he will just ask for their help. Also the NJ dealer has a point. And I have not been able to find better parts than the one the factory uses. So I suggest we lighten up on the factory. They are still with us and they are able to give warranty repairs unlike say the Genmar bankruptcy situation. Of course the factory should pursue excellence. I strongly feel that there is no better boat in it's class that the Sig 250.:beer-7687-1:

LOL - you have to start this thread right as I shell out a large herd of deer on a new AC unit because the 120 volt supply wiring was not correctly installed...

:beer-7687-1:

There is a lot of things I did not expect to be done over being a supposed well trained professional was doing it by hand, must of turned out to be the typical fat lazy owners relative that could not hold a job anywhere else. they must have gave him the job with the 5200 to goop up stuff and he forgot most of it, thats why all the deck and thru hall leaks.

Jeff,

I understand what you are saying but I can honestly say that my previous boat had absolutley 0 issues when I bought it(yes, it was new). I had it for 3 seasons and the only issue I had was a broken gasket on the outdrive. The dealer replaced it in 3 days.

I love my current boat but I too had many issues the first year I had it, that have been discussed on this forum, and I had to fight with Chaparral to fix. All my isues have been resolved and I extremely happy with my boat.

Joe (NJ Chap Dealer),

You have been more than helpful to every single one of us here and we all appreciate that so please dont think I am attacking you for what you wrote because I really do understand what you are saying... but I think you should appreciate the view from the consumers side.

Many of my issues were with assembly. For example, the water line from the freshwater tank was disconnected, actually had to remove and panel to see it so there is no way I should have/could have known this. The first time I took the boat out I turned on the water pressure and noticed low pressure on the stern shower and no pressure on the bow shower. While looking for the issue I opened the ski locker to see it filling with pink antiefreeze, the dealer had put my snap on cover in the compartment and it was soaked with sticky pink antifreeze. Once I fixed this issue I figured out that the sink faucet had been screwed on so tight the O-ring gasket was competely smashed and broken so the sink faucet was leaking bad where the hose connects. It was just very frusturating at first, I undersand that a good dealer would have found and fixed these issues but in my case they didn't. There were a ton of dealer related issues(wrong props, docking light out, holes in seats, & several more)that shouldn't be blamed on Chap. I guess a lot of people don't understand why the consumer that is shelling out a ton of cash should be the one responsible to make sure there is no issues with the boat prior to delivery.(I am guessing this is different at your dealership) I think this is an industry wide issue (for the most part) and definatly think there is a LOT of room for improvement.

Once again, I am very happy with my boat but think things could have gone much smoother in the begining.

Well it is not just Chap. The company I work for delivered a machine with two different types of tracks. Mind you they were extremely different physically. People pay tons of deer to make tons of deer and when a new premium machine arrives at the work site I am sure this was the last thing the customer wanted to see.