seasaw

Lack of Quality from Chaparral

I disagree completely about "putting this to bed" or beating a dead horse. Education is key- from boat purchasing decisions, customer AND dealer expectations and finally dealing with inevitable maintenance issues. This thread should be left open until Chaparral builds perfect boats- i.e. forever. It's called continuous improvement, not bitching.

I bought my Signature 240 brand-new 11 years ago. The first year was a disaster for many of the same reasons others have discussed here. The worst problem was that the hull plug was tight but that the housing it sits in was not sealed. Result: continous leaking, continuous wet carpets and head-scratching until the problem was found. The battery-charger was wired incorrectly -DIScharging the battery every time shore power was plugged in, consequently we reached a point where the batteries failed and the bilge pump stopped working while water continued to enter the hull. My brand-new boat almost sank one rainy Sunday night.

There were other problems- the shift linkage fell apart while I, a new boater at the time, was maneuvring through a very crowded marina, and a lot of other not-so-serious stuff. As an airline pilot who was used to the way equipment is maintained in the aviation world- I was horrified. Furthermore- boating in Lake Huron's Georgian Bay with young kids- reliability = safety. My boat, as produced by Chaparral and delivered by my dealer- didn't measure up.

Twelve summers later- I know my boat. I know what to expect, what to watch out for and how to deal with problems. BUT I wish I'd had the internet and this forum way back then- it would have saved me a lot of heartache.

Your comments here will help me maintain my current boat and plan for my next purchase. Hopefully my comments here will do the same for you and for the newbie lurking in the shadows. Hopefully ALL of our comments will help Chaparral build a better vessel. The system only works if we keep talking about it.

+1!

Funny, my transom shower housing is shot, never closed properly and the sink faucet is also broke.

My transom shower lid is broken as well, will be contacting the dealer. I agree should be stainless steel not plastic.

On 6/25/2010 at 11:04 PM, drummer man said:

:drink-buddy: While I am not familiar withe the 256 I am appalled at the Sig 250. I agree with Bob. Buying a 2 yr old new boat is going to be a local dealer dependent purchase or you should be willing to tackle problems yourself. Hours should have been spent on that two year old boat by the dealer before delivery. A good sea trail should have shown these issues and repairs made. Sounds like the dealer may have taken a loss on the sale & hates to see that boat in his shop. I do hope the dealer is able to make the repairs quickly, I know Chap will give him the necessary support to make the repairs... If he will just ask for their help. Also the NJ dealer has a point. And I have not been able to find better parts than the one the factory uses. So I suggest we lighten up on the factory. They are still with us and they are able to give warranty repairs unlike say the Genmar bankruptcy situation. Of course the factory should pursue excellence. I strongly feel that there is no better boat in it's class that the Sig 

I can tell you that chaparral does put profit before safty just Google volvo penta fuel pump problems.  It's a ticking bomb fuel pump gets so hot it starts to scream . Because of them painting the inside of it . Paint brakes down in gas and plugs the system. From 2006 on . In 3years I have replaced my new fuel pump  3 times $1100.00 tired of excuses it's plain greed this product should have a safety recall. 

4 hours ago, wijeff said:

I can tell you that chaparral does put profit before safty just Google volvo penta fuel pump problems.  It's a ticking bomb fuel pump gets so hot it starts to scream . Because of them painting the inside of it . Paint brakes down in gas and plugs the system. From 2006 on . In 3years I have replaced my new fuel pump  3 times $1100.00 tired of excuses it's plain greed this product should have a safety recall. 

Good thing you can select mercruuser instead if VP.  

My 2007 270 is my first boat ever.  I have to say I'm less than impressed with the wiring.  Absolute Rats nest.  The helm wiring is just piled in.  Wires are far too long and all knotted.  Makes for a nightmare when diagnosing or adding any components.  Then there's the stereo in the cabin.  I replaced my Clarion with a Fusion.  There are miles of  wire in the top of the cabin closet.  Ridiculous.  Why do you need a 12 foot wire to go 6 inches?  I have found at least half a dozen non terminated wires just hanging in the breeze.  Two are from the ACC switches on the helm, and they both test positive for power.  There's uncrimped butt connectors in the stereo cabinet, and even unterminated wires up in the ceiling where the wiper motor is.  I almost jammed a screw through my kneecap from kneeling on the helm seat because there's a screw under there that is far to long.  That is really bad QC.  No idea how things like that could possibly pass inspection.  

20 hours ago, DarkMantle said:

My 2007 270 is my first boat ever.  I have to say I'm less than impressed with the wiring.  Absolute Rats nest.  The helm wiring is just piled in.  Wires are far too long and all knotted.  Makes for a nightmare when diagnosing or adding any components.  Then there's the stereo in the cabin.  I replaced my Clarion with a Fusion.  There are miles of  wire in the top of the cabin closet.  Ridiculous.  Why do you need a 12 foot wire to go 6 inches?  I have found at least half a dozen non terminated wires just hanging in the breeze.  Two are from the ACC switches on the helm, and they both test positive for power.  There's uncrimped butt connectors in the stereo cabinet, and even unterminated wires up in the ceiling where the wiper motor is.  I almost jammed a screw through my kneecap from kneeling on the helm seat because there's a screw under there that is far to long.  That is really bad QC.  No idea how things like that could possibly pass inspection.  

Sort of what you get with mass produced run of the mill products.  Not sitting here talking bad about chap, as they are good boats but after owning own and other brands and being on different boats my whole life chap sells a good boat but is on par with the rest in terms of quality.  Boat manufactures aren't like cars where for 1 I don't think they have funds to commit to R&D and QC like the big auto companies do, they just don't.  Boat warranties arent so iron clad either, so I think they also figure whatever they make will pass the warranty threshold and they are off the hotseat. 

8 hours ago, DarkMantle said:

Why do you need a 12 foot wire to go 6 inches? 

The wire looms are mass produced and used on many different models with many different options and configurations. Same as with any vehicle you buy.

On 6/25/2010 at 11:06 AM, Archipaul said:

This post resonates with my frustrations.

As well as many other defects and deficiencies on delivery of my Sig. 250, the most troubling has been wet carpet in the cabin (subject of several previous posts).

It has escalated further unfortunately.

• We thought rain water - techs could find no leaks while inspecting in the pouring rain.
  • We thought rain water getting into the grey water sump via the cockpit sink (sealed the drain, no rain...more water in cabin)
  • Chaparral is focusing on the grey water sump box, but there is way too much water for that and there should be no source of water into the sump while its sitting in the marina
  • The tech yesterday vacuumed 3 full wet-vac's off thaty small area of carpet. The carpet glue has dissolved and created a slime on the carpet (the carpet appears to be ruined)and has also stained the bilge.
  • The boat is listing to port, with a 3/4 full fresh water tank (port side), more than usual - the tech fears an accumulation of lake water somewhere, flowing slowly into the cabin.
  • The boat is being pulled out and taken to the local dealer's shop today and we won't have a boat this weekend.

It is six weeks since delivery and I have an unusable and damaged boat which has never achieved 'delivery condition'.

I am not happy with the way my dealer is addressing this. I appear to be an annoyance and they reluctantly take some action when pestered.

When/how does one escalate an issue like this? Is there a Chaparral phone number or email I can contact?

Paul

:slap:

My tech fogged up to in my first few weeks. Brand new 2011 Sig 290.

I too had a long list. Some things I fixed myself, some things the dealer and Chap were involved. Point is I had so many things wrong I forgot about the tech. Mistake!!! It stopped working last year. Cost was 800 to replace it. I iinstalled a j1939 engine gateway to NMEA2k. Cost was 175 so now I can read engine data from my GPS. A good work around, but have it replaced. 

On 7/24/2017 at 0:36 AM, Chaparral Rider said:

Good thing you can select mercruuser instead if VP.  

Echo that on Fuel pumps with two so far in the past year.  Even replacement pumps are painted and mine is 2014 so nothing's changed.

On 7/23/2017 at 7:49 PM, wijeff said:

My comments here are not directed at any one post above.

If you have continuing issues with a boat, used or especially new, consider that the dealer may be a factor. 

First off, the quality of the service staff matters.  IMO this is really important so that things are done right and other things dont get broken or dinged up.

I once had a car that always had something go wrong sometime after being serviced by a certain car dealer.   Went elsewhere for service and suddenly everything was reliable.

In my area, I've heard someone say that they suspect a rural boat dealer/marina of using their boat for parts in a pinch.  The fixes were under warranty but there were too many things that broke for a lightly used new boat.  The dealer does have a bit of a reputation in this case.   They are known to take parts off their used boats for sale on jackstands in their lot.

That was done in a couple of N J repair places. Boats,  planes & cars.  Do not be surprised about it happening in your area.

I think these boats and RV's are built in the same way - looks nice from the outside - don't look inside, you'll be horrified! :)