Sign in to follow this  
Miami Brandon

How do you clean your carpet?

I was doing a cleaning today, and pulled all of the exterior carpeting (it snaps out) out of my 2005 285 SSI. I thought it would be a good idea to clean it, and then realized I have no idea how! I could just lay it on the floor and hit it with some regular carpet cleaner and a vacuum, but thought there may be a better way.

Due to the rubber bottom, I didn't want to just stick it in an industrial washing machine without checking with all of you first. Any suggestions???

It's an exterior grade carpet, so I just use a self serve car wash. I was cautious at first because I too wasn't sure about the rubber backing. But I've cleaned them many times and the backing is still in great shape. The high pressure soap works wonders and makes very short work of it - Just make sure you RINSE thoroughly and hang dry it well before re-installation.

+1 on the high pressure wash. I've used a 3000psi pressure washer for years without any damage to the carpet and backing.

Glad to see this thread. I haven't used my carpets after the first three months since I bought my boat in 2002. We found that we were always in a hurry to leave on Sunday when we covered the boat. (snap-in and complete mooring cover) so the carpets were still wet. We always came back to a musty smell so we have never used them since. Is this a common issue for those that dock their boats?

Sprig

I just use a very small amount of soap with water and a scrub brush. Rinse well, let dry, and vacuum.

Mine does not snap out, but I thought I would share how I cleaned mine in the boat.

I have a carpet cleaning machine that sprays carpet shampoo and water under user control and vacuums up the cleaning solution.

I pre-treat the nasty spots with the cleaner and a brush and then use the cleaner and wand.

I follow up with a water only rinse.

It always cleans up great.

:Twocents:

Glad to see this thread. I haven't used my carpets after the first three months since I bought my boat in 2002. We found that we were always in a hurry to leave on Sunday when we covered the boat. (snap-in and complete mooring cover) so the carpets were still wet. We always came back to a musty smell so we have never used them since. Is this a common issue for those that dock their boats?

Sprig

Yes it would be, even though I don't moor the boat. I trailer my boat but will always drive the boat home and then to storage with the cover off. Then cover it after it has dried a while. If any of the carpets are specifically wet when I get home, I'll snap them out and leave them at home till the next time. I figured with the rubber backing it wouldn't be a problem so the very first few times out, I did store it while they were still wet. And of course there was a slight mildew smell. Not any more.

Water and vinegar. 25% vinegar, spray it on, let sit for 15min, rinse well. I run the wet dry vac over the carpets to pull out excess water so it dries quickly. Takes out oil, koolaid, loose dirt, everything. My carpets look almost new, even on my '98 bowirder that gets used almost every weekend.

I have a question for you guys with carpet. Why do you like it? Carpet is the only option that my boat didn't have and is also the only one I did not want. It just seems to me like it would add more work and PITA to keep up. Cleaning my inside deck area of the boat without carpet is the quickest and easiest thing to keep up on the boat. Carpet is more weight to carry around and requires lots of holes drilled in the deck and the snaps will be exposed when the carpet is removed. I know it looks nice on the showroom floor but is it really practical in the long run? Am I missing something?

why do you like ford over chevy?, my floor gets hot without it, like the feel on my feet, can't beat JC's boat no how, so the weight is not a problem,looks better, more work... :thmadslap-1:

I have a question for you guys with carpet. Why do you like it? Carpet is the only option that my boat didn't have and is also the only one I did not want. It just seems to me like it would add more work and PITA to keep up. Cleaning my inside deck area of the boat without carpet is the quickest and easiest thing to keep up on the boat. Carpet is more weight to carry around and requires lots of holes drilled in the deck and the snaps will be exposed when the carpet is removed. I know it looks nice on the showroom floor but is it really practical in the long run? Am I missing something?

It is frequently over 100 degrees when we are using the boat. Spending 8+ hours on the lake, the carpet keeps the boat cool beneath your feet. I only clean mine once a year, but also have no kids, no pets, and people are expected to respect my property when they are on board, or they are not invited back. Sure it gets dirty, but after 12 years and 5 years, both boats carpets still look great.

Gotta have the carpet to keep the tootsies from frying. Texas summer sun can sure get HOT, so the carpet is a must in my book. Being a lake boater, really doesn't get that dirty, don't have to worry about issues with the sand. It comes out once or twice a year for a cleaning, no big deal.

Gotta have the carpet to keep the tootsies from frying. Texas summer sun can sure get HOT, so the carpet is a must in my book. Being a lake boater, really doesn't get that dirty, don't have to worry about issues with the sand. It comes out once or twice a year for a cleaning, no big deal.

Aside from being hot without the carpet it can also be very bright. When I have cleaned the deck of the boat with the carpet out of it it actually hurts my eyes if I am not wearing sunglass and it's sunny out.

So with the carpet how do you guys empty cold ice chest water when refilling it for the next day, take it out of the boat? How do you deal with a spilled beer, soft drink or food? I guess it might be easier if you are always on a lake and don't beach on sandy river banks or islands all the time like I do. I have never found a white deck to be hot to the feet, maybe because I grew up barefoot :lol:

Carpet came with my boat, but I would not have a boat without it. It is just more comfortable on the feet--same as having carpet in your house over hardwood floors. It does take maintenance, but what doesn't on our boats?

To each their own, but I like my carpet.

So with the carpet how do you guys empty cold ice chest water when refilling it for the next day, take it out of the boat? How do you deal with a spilled beer, soft drink or food? I guess it might be easier if you are always on a lake and don't beach on sandy river banks or islands all the time like I do. I have never found a white deck to be hot to the feet, maybe because I grew up barefoot laugh.gif

It is simple to empty the cooler...I simply sit it on the walk-through of the transom and tilt it up and the water goes out over the swim platform...carpet stays dry. The carpet gets wetter from foot traffic after swimming but dries quickly in the sun; especially here in the high 90's to low 100's. As to spilt beer...NEVER...that's alcohol abuse...lol. And I don't recall every having any issues with spilt soft drinks or food. I always have the kids sit on their towels while eating/drinking so it has never been a problem.

I too, have used the DIY spray car wash, and it works well..... as far as cleaning them.

I will point out that since boat carpet is in much larger pieces than car mats, you'll have to hang them one piece at a time to wash/rinse.

And, the thing I hadn't accounted for is that those big hunks o' carpet are dripping wet, and they are heavy as he!!. Which, BTW, also posed a bit of a task getting them home in the back of my SUV.

A pressure washer at home would be my first preference, but I don't own one, so I'll likely bring them home and use my carpet cleaning machine....... next year...... maybe.

For normal cleaning I use my wife's (ok the house) vacuum. :D

Since we have hardwood in the house now it hardly gets used much anymore so I adopted it. LOL

Does good just have to be careful around the ski locker screws. :)

-cp

I like the cockpit carpet because it cushions my feet when standing at the helm running the boat. It allows you to walk barefoot on the deck without discomfort when it is hot out, and just makes the boat look classier when it is installed.

For cleaning, I pull the carpets for the winter, and when we have the carpets in the house steam cleaned each winter, we have the boat carpets steam cleaned at the same time. When they are cleaned, they look brand new, even being almost 4 years old.

ive always used a pressure washer works great, without damage.  usually gets everything out without soap.  But you can pre scrub with soap with a brush if you like

I do mine over the winter, using a carpet steam vac.  I bring them inside and lay them over wall to wall carpeting, and have at it!

I used to clean my snap in carpet various ways, hose it down, use a carpet steam cleaner, vacuum, spot clean, etc.  a couple years ago I took it out and threw it away, took out the male snaps and patched the holes, never been happier. If I was going to do anything I would put down a cushion sheet flooring, Nu Teak or similar.  I’m done with carpet.

The snap-in carpet makes my stereo sound better...

To clean, I pull the carpet,  lay it on the hood of my truck, and use a garden hose. I hang it to dry in the garage, which takes a few days, and leaves a few puddles.

Once or twice a year is about all it takes to keep it clean. The rest of the time I hit it with a wet/dry shop vac. 

brick