Jerry B.

Trailer setup for an '04 290

11 posts in this topic

Looking for opinions and confirmation on whether a 2007 Venture model VATB-12600 tri-axle aluminum trailer with 12,600lb capacity will be fine for a 2004 Chap. Sig. 290. Dry weight for the boat is 9700lbs, L.O.A. 31', Beam 10' with 115gal fuel tank (figure ~8lbs./gal = 920lbs fuel). Factor in another 500lbs for water and misc. gear; 9700+920+500 = 11120lbs give or take.

Also, what make/model trailers are those with 290's using?

I use a Fastload aluminum HD trailer, triple axle & disc brakes, torsion bar suspension & capacity of 16200. I would not push the trailer right to the limits as when the boats are weighed they normally are lightly equipped. Our 2007 290 weighs about 12,900 loaded. The added weight comes from the a/c, gen set, v-8 over v-6, etc. Better to have room to spare for that piece of mind. We pull it with a 2008 F-450 & it works well as a package.

We tow our 2008 290 on a HiTech Marine triple axle aluminum trailer. It has a 15,000 lb GVW, with about 13,300 lb capacity. Torsion axles, Kodiak disc brakes on all, electric-over-hydraulic actuated (ie no surge brakes).

We've put hundreds of miles on it so far and it continues to perform well.

I recommend that if you're towing a 290 (or heavier), go big in terms of capacity...both in terms of trailer and tow vehicle.

Thanks for the input!

I went ahead and purchased an '09 Magic Tilt model TTALS31150 tri-axle aluminum today. It can be set up for a 29'-31' boat and is rated at 15,000lbs capacity. I'm glad I asked because I was looking at a 12,500lb capacity trailer prior to the feedback from you guys.

I've got an '09 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab with the Duramax diesel which towed my 260 around without a problem. I'm gonna try towing the 290 and see how it pulls, if I need to I'll trade up on the truck but I'm hoping it will tow just fine. I'm thinking the combined weight of the boat, engines, fuel, water, trailer and any gear may be pushing the tow capacity on the 2500 from the ball hitch. The way I read it, it has a 12,000lb tow capacity from a ball hitch and a 15,000lb capacity if towing a fifth-wheel. So, I'll report after this weekend.

Picking up MY "NEW" '04 290 Friday!!!! Found a gem, the owner dry stored it after the first year of use and bought a ski boat. He moved it outdoors on the hard last year. I'll replace any maintenance items and check it out thoroughly then buff her up like new just as I did with the '03 260 I found last year. Looking at the pictures, the interior and carpeting appears to be like new with ZERO wear evident. I'll post pics in a seperate thread once we have her loaded and on the way home.

Another question for you guys, can you post a pic of where your bunks are situated for your 290's so I'll have a general idea where to set these bunks Friday when they sit her down on the trailer?

This pic may help--it's the only one I have handy right now. It shows where the main bunk is located in relation to the strakes.

photo.jpg

My trailer utilizes two main bunks and two alignment bunks under the forward part of the hull.

From a towing perspective, you might considering looking into a weight-distributing (WD) hitch setup. Most trucks (including the HD2500 I believe) limit the capacity of the ball hitch to 5,000 lbs unless using a WD setup. There's been plenty of discussion on here and other forums about the merits and potential assumed legal liabilities of ignoring this specification from the vehicle manufacturer...do a search and you'll have reading material for days.

We tow with a 2008 Ford F250 PowerStroke diesel 4 x 4 and I tend to prefer towing with the WD-setup. It reduces sway, effects of strong cross-winds and helps in the event of drastic emergency maneuvers. I have also towed without it.

Congrats on the new boat---please post pics when you can.

stephenm27...thanks for the advise on the WD hitch setup. I tow another trailer regularly that carries an 11,000lb load from the tow bar with a 25,000lb rated 2-5/16" ball. I like the idea of adding the sway bars so I'll probably take the rig to a trailer shop when we get back and have the WD hitch w/sway bars installed. I'm leaving tomorrow for the trip up and pick up the boat. I'll post some pics when I can. Here is a pic of the trailer.

2009_MT_TTALS31150.jpg

Here's a quick pic I shot while inspecting her this afternoon.

2004_Chaparral_290_1st_Day.jpg

Initial Inspection Report:

No cracks and no visible damage to hull and gelcoat.

Fuel pumps cleaned, not whining, engines ran fine without issue.

Generator, 17 hours, Carburator pulled, cleaned, started and ran great.

Starboard drive shifts fine from binnacle, Port drive will not shift; pulled cover on drive and disconnected cables, both drives manually shift freely...will need replacement shift cable(s).

Corrosion on drives, will need to sand and paint.

Engine hour meter(s), Stbd: 96hrs Port: 96hrs

No signs of water intrusion in forward vberth storage so the front hatch doesn't appear to be leaking. Awesome!

Interior is in MINT condition as if NEVER used.

Hot Water heater has NEVER been turned on, the warning label still covers the circuit switch.

Will need new batteries.

Will need to pump out old fuel.

Will do oil changes and filter replacements when I get home.

Radio missing, whoever stole it took the time to properly remove the screws but cut wiring harness...no big deal...gonna replace with different brand anyway.

Rear Camper Canvas missing/stolen but all other canvas in tact, all carpet on board and like new. Some cushions still in plastic. Tables wrapped in terry cloth.

Happy with initial inspection!

Gonna start a new thread with any boat related issues as they arise. Will post pics and results of loading the trailer tomorrow.

Beautiful boat!! It sounds like you found a real gem.

Look forward to more pics as you get her back home...

Congrats!

Jerry - congrats on the boat, she's a beauty! Looks like you found a fantastic boat.

On the trailering item, just make sure you check the local roadway regulations, as some areas (mine included) require special permits for boats over a certain beam and length - which here includes the 290.

Enjoy!!!!

Looking at buying a trailer aftermarket for my 05 Signature 290, surveyor listed empty weight at 9700 lbs.

How do you know where the bunks on the trailer should be?

How many main bunks on each side are required?

Should I plan on having to move the bunks after buying a used trailer?