birdog

SECRU

I am unsure if we will make it due to scheduling; however, I haven't completely ruled out the trip. That said, I'm a +1 on Goose Pond. On 4bammafanz recommendation, we stayed there on our trip to/from Chattanooga last year and we were very pleased with the facilities there. In fact, I had launched from a different marina and we borrowed the marina's courtesy vehicle to retrieve the truck/trailer to retrailer the boat because the ramps at Goose Pond were in much better shape. Anyone with a larger boat would be happy with their facilities.

Just in case we can make it, how far is Goose Pond from the scheduled Raft Up and any events?

Jerry, it's about one hour from Lake Guntersville State Park to Goose Pond. Maybe we should meet at West Point! I have never been there, but it looks good. Do they have any lodging facilities on the lake?

Goose Pond is right near Scottsboro, AL - located further up stream from the state park and on the opposite side of the lake. Scottsboro is on the main drag about halfway between Huntsville and Chattanooga on highway 72.

as for lodging, there are a couple campgrounds and a rv parks around scottsboro ( I have not stayed at any of these so I don't know anything about them). Numerous hotels in Scottsboro area and only a few minutes drive from the water.

Bring your golf clubs, they have a nice course there on the water as well.

By water, it is about 20 - 60 minutes up stream (depending on your speed of course) from the state park.

or.....

we could bump it towards the fall and move it to lake Hartwell. I was going through that area last week on the way back from NC and it looks beautiful. Both me and the Admiral want to come and play at Hartwell this year.

Joe Wheeler would be super convenient for me too, but I don't think there would be enough places to eat on the water. The Lodge and Bayhill are the only two I can think of that are remotely close.

Joe Wheeler would be super convenient for me too, but I don't think there would be enough places to eat on the water. The Lodge and Bayhill are the only two I can think of that are remotely close.

The lodge has a pretty nice restaurant there with an excellent breakfast buffet. AND, the lodge is pretty nice too. Plenty of spaces for folks to dock their boats and a campground. The lodge is also tucked away off the river. Plenty of protected water for those that could stay on the hook. My first choice is Guntersville because it's such a beautiful lake and all of the eminities in the Guntersville area, but I think Wheeler Lodge on Wheeler lake is an excellent second choice.

I wouldnt mind a trip to Harwell towards the fall. I camped there quite a few years ago and remember the water was deep and clean. It reminded me of Lake Cumberland.

Friggin Beavers can't trust 'em.

;)

photo of guntersville state park campground from the air (I always thought they had way too many trees):

57-10009864-770028-999226.jpg

Since the Tornados came through I'm not sure what everyone would like to do?

The state park got hit pretty hard and I don't think they are going to be open in June for camping.

My boat is now in Florence,AL and I've not been on Guntersville Lake since so I'm not real sure

how things are since the storms. Ken at Fredrick's Marine was looking into hosting the event

at Val Monte but I think they are booked up for that week.

Just called Joe Wheeler Lodge, the only available rooms are on the 2nd. The entire weekend is booked otherwise as of 3:00 P.M May 15th.

What are some other options?

The Best Western had rooms for all dates, as of the beginning of last week. That may be an option for those of us with smaller boats we dont sleep on.

Anyone want to firm up or re-poll to see if we are going to have this RU, and on which lake, near which lodging? We were looking forward to 4 fun days on the water, but this event seems to be stalled. Anyone?

IMHO, I think we should try to reschedule the event to another time later in the year. I'm still up for that weekend though. Maybe some others will chime in.

I'm down on the coast and I have no idea how bad it really is up there. I was just going to let you guys work it out and then do what ever everyone wanted. It looks to me that a reschedule would work best. Maybe late summer... but before school's back in.

I'll 2nd the reschedule, late July early August. Not sure when all schools start back. Maybe Birdog can set up another poll.

i will 4th it, but PLEASE NOT in Alabama end of July/August. Can we look at something in higher elevation, say Hartwell or something in a little cooler climate.

West Point Lake in Georgia is in perfect shape. No damage of any kind.

brick