• Lake Guntersville AL
    • West Point Lake GA
    • Lake Chatuge SC/GA
    • Lake Norman NC
  2. 2. Your vote for SECRU 1 date

• May 19-22 2011
    • May 26-29 2011 (Memoral Day Weekend)
    • June 2-5 2011

Cast your vote here. Let's leave the vote open until August 21 (4 weeks). :thl_speedboat:

I’ve narrowed it down to 3 locations based on input from these three pages of this thread. The top three mentions were Lake Guntersville AL, West Point Lake GA, and Lake Lanier AL. I’ve excluded Lake Lanier from this vote because it received as many thumbs downs as it did thumbs ups. I’ve replaced it Lake Chatuge because of its mentions, location, scenery and amenities. Speaking of amenities… all three of the finalists have been checked out to have excellent hotel, marina, camping facilities.

There were a lot of great ideas. I checked them all out. It’s actually been a great exercise. I now know about a lot of lakes I never new about. I think we can bounce the location around every year and it would take a long long time to have to repeat the location.

Ok… so here are the three finalists and some info links for year one of the SECRU!

Lake Guntersville AL

http://www.alapark.com/LakeGuntersville/

http://www.guntersvillelakeinfo.com/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guntersville_Lake

West Point Lake GA

http://www.greatlakesofgeorgia.com/westpoint/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Point_Lake

http://www.highlandmarina.com/west_point_lake/west_point_lake_about.htm

Lake Chatuge GA/SC

http://www.tva.gov/sites/chatuge.htm

http://www.georgialakeinfo.com/chatuge/index.html

http://www.lakechatugelodge.com/

Before you vote, please take a detailed look at all three and make an educated vote. They all three have some cool things to do other than just the raft up. Lake Chatuge (for example) has white water rafting near by. Lake Guntersville has nice hiking/biking trails.

If your favorite is not on the list… be patient… it’ll probably make it next year!

:beer-7687-1:

I vote for Lake Norman! :)

I vote for Lake Norman! :)

Yea... I thought LKN would have had more support... but if you check out the main thread you'll see that it only came up once. I had it on my original list that I researched but it never caught on. The Factory really likes LKN as well. They thought we would get a lot of support there. I don't know if a lot of folks just thought it was to far of a drive??? Either way... Maybe SECRU 2 can be there. We'll see.

Yea... I thought LKN would have had more support... but if you check out the main thread you'll see that it only came up once. I had it on my original list that I researched but it never caught on. The Factory really likes LKN as well. They thought we would get a lot of support there. I don't know if a lot of folks just thought it was to far of a drive??? Either way... Maybe SECRU 2 can be there. We'll see.

North Alabama is dominated by SR, especially in the express cruiser segment. A Guntersville event would actually be a nice opportunity for Chaparral to get some much needed exposure in this area. Just my :Twocents:

I still vote for Lake Norman. We have the largest number of Chaps on our lake than any other lake in the region and it really should be here. But that's just my opinion. I don't know enough about the proposed lakes to post a real educated opinion even after looking at the links.

Also the dates are tough, at least for me. I have many conferences for both my job and Rotary around this time. Early to mid-July would work better IMHO. The early dates above limit participation by those with children still in school (myself not included ;) ) so that should be considered. So therefore I did not vote because the options do not work for me. May I suggest adding a few other options, like LKN and maybe a button for "later dates" and "earlier dates". With those options I could then effectively cast my vote.

Until then see you all out on LKN, the greatest lake east of the Mississippi! :P

I'd re-vote for LKN if it were an option. Anyone actually driven to Chatuge? According to the folks I've talked to, it ain't easy!

Just my Twocents.gifTwocents.gif worth...

I've been on Lake Guntersville, and it is a nice lake; however, I don't feel it is our purpose and responsibility to stage a raft up for the purpose of expanding Chaparral's market share in a given area unless they are sponsoring (monetarily) an event and advertising to the likes of Aquapalooza events. That said, I would still travel to Lake Guntersville, but it isn't my first choice.

To be frank, I voted for West Point because it is the closest in proximity to a "centralized" location. I too find it difficult to believe that Lake Norman wasn't a choice since I've been to that area and agree, there is a large Chaparral presence there. For that matter, there is a large Chaparral presence on Lake Blackshear which was ruled out due to size but is as large as Lake Chatuge.

At any rate, I appreciate the effort to pull together and have a raft up but would rather go to a lake where the raft up will be large, memorable and worth the trip.

Food for thought...for whichever lake wins the vote, Chaparral marketing (the factory) should download the state's boat registrations and send mailers to all registered Chaparral owners in a given area, advertising such an event. This may boost the turnout. I know you can download current Georgia boat registrations on the DNR website; I assume you can do something similar for other states. In addition, a local dealer willing to participate should be found near the winning lake so they can help promote.

Did I say all that out loud?

Hey… where were all you LKN voters guys during the original discussion period? :blush: As I mentioned in an earlier post I thought several people would mention LKN as a possible location. Only one spoke up about it… that’s why I left it off.

However… this is a democratic process so I’ll be happy to add Lake Norman NC on the poll. I’ve never been but I’ve researched it for this event and it seems like a great lake. The mother ship (factory) also gave it their thumbs up. They said there are tons of chaps there and LKN also has good dealer support.

There are so many great lakes in the southeast; I think this event should change lakes every year. It’ll give us a reason to go see some lakes we’ve never seen as well as allow some people who could not attend because of location one year to make it the next.

So LKN is on the list. It’s gonna have to play catch up. Let’s see how she does! :beer-7687-1:

Add another vote for LKN.

I just cast my official vote for LKN. Let's get all those other LKNers out there to cast their vote!

Keep in mind that Lake Guntersville is part of the Tennessee River system and can be accessed by larger boats that are not trailerable. I don't even have a trailer for my boat so if it's not on the Tennessee river then I can't make it with my boat.

I've been on Lake Guntersville, and it is a nice lake; however, I don't feel it is our purpose and responsibility to stage a raft up for the purpose of expanding Chaparral's market share in a given area unless they are sponsoring (monetarily) an event and advertising to the likes of Aquapalooza events.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this statement, but I thought the whole idea of the raft up was just so folks on this forum could get together and have a good time. Am I missing something?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this statement, but I thought the whole idea of the raft up was just so folks on this forum could get together and have a good time. Am I missing something?

I'm not sure how you interpreted my statement but I am in agreement with you. My statement was more directed towards 4bamafanz's earlier post...

North Alabama is dominated by SR, especially in the express cruiser segment. A Guntersville event would actually be a nice opportunity for Chaparral to get some much needed exposure in this area. Just my Twocents.gif

While I like Lake Guntersville, I also like Lake Norman and feel the end choice shouldn't revolve around forum members hoping to provide Chaparral more market share exposure...this is their responsibility. I simply want to raft up and enjoy good company on a lake sure to bring out the most forum members.

I feel as though it should be as centrally located as possible. I cant speak for others but it would like to pull no more than 8 hrs if possible. And it would just as costly for others to pull from other areas.

Would you believe that when I put the 2 front runners into Google maps, they both showed up exactly 10hrs 44 minutes away!? Guess I can't vote with the one that's closer! Unfortunately, Tampa is so far south and 11 hours is a long way to trailer the boat for an event. I may or may not show up if I get a wild hair, but don't want to influence the vote if I'm not for sure attending. Maybe I'll plan some crazy 3 week road trip based on boating spots?

Maybe we should have a south southeastern and a Lake Norman. Lake norman has their own area on the forum. Not saying anything bad about LKN you just have a lot of Chaps up there. Why can't we have 2 maybe some of us can make both

Maybe we should have a south southeastern and a Lake Norman. Lake norman has their own area on the forum. Not saying anything bad about LKN you just have a lot of Chaps up there. Why can't we have 2 maybe some of us can make both

I would agree that the southeast is a very spread out area (well, many of our areas around the country are spread out) but multiple locations never hurt. Maybe LKN should host a mid-atlantic raft-up. Our boat show here in Charlotte is called the mid-atlantic boat show, so...

But if Cal looks at this post and responds and then chimes in how he pulls his boat from CA to the middle of the country for NACRU (3 day trip pulling a Signature), well...

They key to this is to make it fun, convenient and to have a lot of folks show up. We own great boats, have a great owner's forum with a lot of great people. So make the events happen where it is beneficial to all concerned, will build goodwill and better friendships and will be fair to all concerned.