1slowhoe

New owner 2002 186 SSi, questions...

I just picked up a Chaparral 186 SSi (2002) 5.0 Mercruiser. Looks really clean and has 138 hours.

The SS prop that was on it was a 21 pitch but was out of round so I purchased (on advice from the boat dealer) an aluminum 23 pitch. I can’t remember the diameter off hand but I want to say 14”. Put her in the water, trimmed it all the down and buried the throttle. I was disappointed. I took what felt like forever to come up on plane (about 18-20mph) and then went up to 35. Trimmed up and maxed out quickly at 48mph. I’m mostly going to be using the boat for my kids, knee boarding, tubing, and wake boarding. I’m willing to give up top end for more get up and go off idle. I really want it to jump out of the water as much as possible and be able to power out of turns.

1. My question is what prop should I be running? Can I go dual?

Next, the boat has a Roswell wake board tower on it. I know nothing about them.

2. Are they a good brand?

3. Does anyone make a bimini top for it?

Few pics the night I brought her home….Thanks for the help!

Chris

186ssi_6.jpg

186ssi_5.jpg

186ssi_4.jpg

186ssi_3.jpg

186ssi_2.jpg

186ssi_1.jpg

I am NOT the prop expert and hopefully one of them will be along soon to answer your question. In the meantime, welcome!

:thsmilie_water_119-1: Welcome to the forum 1slowhoe. We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers for you to do (if you have not already done so) to help us help you:

1. By clicking on your name in the upper right corner to bring up your options select my profile to add into your signature your location (geographic area).

2. Also under your signature add the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.

3. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.

4. Take a minute to review our Terms of Service, again right corner. There is good information in there that you will want to know including that we cannot discuss pricing. But read some of our other posts on here to learn the work around for that. ;)

5. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.

6. Take some time to look through the Help (upper right corner) and Info Center located under Chaparral Boats Forum on the main page. From there you will find parts guides, brochures, manuals, specifications, canvas installation manuals, vinyl care information, square gauge setup, weather links, computer desktop backgrounds, etc. Lots of good stuff there for you and your Chaparral!

7. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger. :thsmilie_water_119-1:

Nice looking boat! Just wanted to say welcome to the club.

For the prop you are going to need to run the boat and see how it does now - speed/rpm, then an adjustment can be made if need. You might want to go back to a SS prop. If you have one prop you are pretty much stuck with a single prop. Having dual props is a function of the type of outdrive.

Also if the boat does not have the smart tabs on it I would add them for what you want to use the boat for. Do a search on "Smart Tabs" and you will see what I mean.

Can't help you with the wakeboard tower. From the picture it looks like a nice one.

As for a bimini you will probably have to talk to a custom canvas shop to get one made. Don't let the custom part scare you away. These guys normaly make a better top than you could ever buy off the shelf and the cost isn't terrible.

What about something like this:

http://www.bulletlines.com/wakeboard-tower-bimini-top-p/261.htm

I have read about the smart tags, seems like a good option. I didnt see where to get them though.

Anybody have input on the prop pitch change from 23 to say a 19?

I went aluminum due to weight and on the theory that it would absorb more energy than a SS prop should I hit something. Maybe not transfer the impact to the out drive. :scratchchin:

That is a relatively rare and sweet handling boat. Best riding 18'6" hull out there, excepting the new 186/196 SSi W/T series.

As for the prop, I'd go with a 20" or 21" if it were a stainless model. If you really want an aluminum prop, I'd opt for a 21" 3 blade, or 20" 4 blade, but you'll have to keep a weather eye from hitting the rev limiter. Personally, I'd go with a 21" ss. Say a 21" Enertia, so you get fast planing, strong midrange, and sizzling top speed.

If you plan on doing a lot of boating with kids, etc. I highly recommend installing an extended swim platform. Much safer and easier to get on and off.

I am interested in an extended platform. Best place to get one? Can I install it pretty easily? Also, where should I buy the prop from? Will I feel a big difference out of the hole going from a 23" to a 21" or 20" pitch prop?

I understand the inches forward per revolution but I don't really understand how that slight of a pitch change will multiply torque in a noticeable way.

Thanks for the help guys!

congrats and welcome, not into props so can't help there, Shepherd is the expert so if you buy what he said you should be good to go, a 186 with a 5.0 should be able to do anything you want it to. nice ride.

What about something like this:

http://www.bulletlines.com/wakeboard-tower-bimini-top-p/261.htm

I have read about the smart tags, seems like a good option. I didnt see where to get them though.

Anybody have input on the prop pitch change from 23 to say a 19?

I went aluminum due to weight and on the theory that it would absorb more energy than a SS prop should I hit something. Maybe not transfer the impact to the out drive. :scratchchin:

Here is a link to the Smart Tabs - http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsSX.htm

Swim platform, smart tabs, and SS prop. The fun of boating and watching your deer run off. :thl_speedboat:

I'm sold on the smart tabs SX kits but how do I determine the correct actuator size for my boat? Where shouod I be looking for the ESP and the prop? Where do you guys get the best deals? Who will rework a bent prop? I dont have a local place so I would need to ship it off....I live in a super small town.

I'm sold on the smart tabs SX kits but how do I determine the correct actuator size for my boat? Where shouod I be looking for the ESP and the prop? Where do you guys get the best deals? Who will rework a bent prop? I dont have a local place so I would need to ship it off....I live in a super small town.

From what I have heard, call Smart Tab and they will help you with the correct size for your boat. ESP - can't help - try doing a search for "swim platform". For the prop, one of the guys in OK should be able to help there. I would give you the number for the one that I have used, but not sure what the shipping cost would be.

Well upon closer inspection of the old prop I am wondering if a new hub would correct the out of round issue. Look at these and tell me what you think. The hub assy should slide out the back of the prop correct? A little hammering and WD-40 might get the hub free ya think?

IMAG0340.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

I'd just take the prop to a prop repair shop and have them install a new hub. Not that big a deal for them. Need a large press to push out the hub. Once the hub is out, perhaps see if a new Flo-Torq II hub kit with fit instead on installing a new rubber hub. Mercury part # 835257K1 or Q1.

For the prop, dropping 2" of pitch is much like installing 1/4 miles gear in a car. Simply allows the engine to develop power faster and easier. We have a customer with a Merc 2 bbl. 4.3L Alpha with 1.84 ratio that runs a 23" aluminum. (equivalent to the average 21" ss prop) For your engine, most likely you have a 1.62 gear ratio due to the larger engine.

Regarding the swim platform, I will try to send pics today of our customers 186 SSi that we installed the factory swim platform on this spring. In short, it looks exactly like the style used on the 204, 220, but not like the 210 or 215 type.

Thanks for the help Shepard. :beer-7687-1: Im going to try and find a prop repair place near me today.

Thanks for the help Shepard. :beer-7687-1: Im going to try and find a prop repair place near me today.

My guess is the closes shop is going to be in OK, City.

If you really wanted to install an ESP, I'd hold off on installing Smart Tabs to ensure clearance for both. For the actuator strength, I'd say 60 lbs. max for your hull.

Here are some pics of the factory ESP for your boat. Only mod was the 16" oval grabrail where the ladder used to be. Figure 4 hours total for guys who know what they're doing. (2 hours each x 2)

186/190 SSi with 3 piece windshield. This particular 186 SSi Sport is a 2001 MY.

IMGP0182.jpg

IMGP0181.jpg

IMGP0179.jpg

IMGP0176.jpg

IMGP0175.jpg

IMGP0183.jpg

IMGP0180.jpg

IMGP0177.jpg

Just picked up a SS Quicksilver mirage 21 pitch prop. Hope that gets her on plane quicker. It's in good shape, 9 out of 10.

More newbie questions:

What's the best oil to run? Brand/weight

At what hour mark do you have it changed or the boat serviced in general? (Mines at 138hrs)

I have a JVC CD player with control panels at the steering wheel and on the rear platform. The problem is sometimes they work great and other times nothing works at all and the player ejects the CD when you hit a button on the CD player itself or it just doesn't react at all and does whatever it wants. Anybody had a similar issue with the JVC set-up?

More newbie questions:

What's the best oil to run? Brand/weight

At what hour mark do you have it changed or the boat serviced in general? (Mines at 138hrs)

I have a JVC CD player with control panels at the steering wheel and on the rear platform. The problem is sometimes they work great and other times nothing works at all and the player ejects the CD when you hit a button on the CD player itself or it just doesn't react at all and does whatever it wants. Anybody had a similar issue with the JVC set-up?

JVC or JBL?

Oil and filter at 100hrs.

Straight from MerCruser -

What type of oil should I use? Can I use synthetic oil?

Engine Oil

For optimum engine performance and maximum protection, use the following oil:

Application Recommended Oil

All MerCruiser engines Mercury MerCruiser Full-Synthetic Engine Oil, 20W-40, NMMC FC-W rated

IMPORTANT: Lubrication requirements for catalyzed engines differ from the requirements for non-catalyzed engines. Some marine-grade lubricants contain high levels of phosphorus, which can damage the catalyst system on MerCruiser engines. Although these high-phosphorus lubricants may allow acceptable engine performance, exposure over time will damage the catalyst. Catalysts damaged by lubricants containing high levels of phosphorus may not be covered by the MerCruiser Limited Warranty.

If Mercury MerCruiser Full-Synthetic, 20W-40 oils is unavailable, use the following lubricants, listed in order of recommendation. If you are servicing a catalyst engine, use these for short periods of time only.

Mercury/Quicksilver 25W-40 Synthetic Blend, NMMA FC-W-rated 4-cycle MerCruiser oil

Mercury/Quicksilver 25W-40, NMMA FC-W-rated 4-cycle MerCruiser oil

Other recognized brands of NMMA FC-W-rated 4-cycle oils

A good-grade, straight-weight detergent automotive oil according to the last row of the operating chart below.

NOTE: We do not recommend non-detergent oils, multi-viscosity oils (other than as specified), non-FC-W-rated synthetic oils, low-quality oils, or oils that contain solid additives.

This crankcase oil recommendation supersedes all previously printed crankcase oil recommendations for MerCruiser gasoline engines. The reason for this change is to include the newer engine oils that are now available in the recommendation.

Older Operation, Maintenance & Warranty manuals, Service manuals and other publications that are not regularly updated will not be revised to show this latest engine oil recommendation. Current Operation, Maintenance & Warranty manuals, Service manuals and other service publications that receive regular updates will receive this revised recommendation the next time they are updated.

Another Newbie ?:

Where does the center storage (between the captains chairs used for skis and wake boards etc) drain to? Mine is full of water and muck and the drain hole is clogged. I ran a wire hanger down until I hit what I assume is a bend in the drain. What's the best way to unclog this?

The ski dock should just drain reward into the bilge.

The drain passage is probably glicked-up with crud. (That's a TN term I've learned ;) )

The ski dock should just drain reward into the bilge.

The drain passage is probably glicked-up with crud. (That's a TN term I've learned ;) )

Thats what I figured but I cant see where it comes out unless its under the fuel tank and I cant see it. Any tricks to unclog? Maybe compressed air hose or some kind of chemical drain-o stuff? Bleach?

I did a water hose with mine and it broke free but I was careful not to overpressurize it and have some hose pop off some place that it shouldn't.

You won't believe the wasp nest we pulled out of the blower hose. I should get a picture posted. The blower breaker kept popping and we almost ordered another blower but found the nest was clogging it up!! Better bee careful when you mess with those little critters...yb624.gif

Well everything is fixed (I blew the 90A fuse at the starter) and the boat is hooked up and ready to drive out in the AM with 4 buddies. New tube, rope, and all the saftey goodies. Headed to the lake for my first full day on the water. Pretty excited! :boating: