leonid

Towing boat without cover

Just curiosity - maybe I don't get something. Most of boats I see towed on the road don't have cover. In heavy rain situation doesn't change much - yesterday I've seen couple of bowriders without cover in heavy rain in heavy traffic. And you might see them the same way far away from water - they towed without cover for long distances. Covers don't cost much - you might buy great custom trailerable cover and support for less then 1% of your boat cost. It doesn't take much time and efforts to put it on and take it out.

I'm puzzled :scratchchin:

Speaking only for myself... we trailor relatively short distances. Ive got bow and cockpit covers that i would use for a long haul but for a 15min trip to the lake its not worth the effort.

Mine are factory... but havent been used in such a long time its almost like they "shrunk." They barely fit. Something i have to play with when its 20 and snowing i guess.

Keith

I'm currently one of those guys towing w/o a cover. My nice Taylor Made snap on cover says not to tow with it. Do the nylon straps of the trailering cover rub off your gelcoat and paint. That's my concern.

Do the nylon straps of the trailering cover rub off your gelcoat and paint. That's my concern.

I think they are polyester, but anyway, you are right. Two of them (out of 16) on the sides close to stern leave really minor marks on gel coat, which I clean with fiberglass cleaner couple of times a year. That's a trade off for clean vinyl, dry gauges and engine remote. Also, it prevents stuff flying out of the boat.

Putting cover after day of boating is not my most favorite task, but I optimized procedure to 5 minutes.

I guess I don't see the concern either way. I tow with mine on about half the time. It depends on if I need to load things in the boat before we head out. If I do...I take the cover off, load things up, and head down the road. If I do not, then I just take it off when I get to the beach house. Mine is a mooring cover so no straps to worry about messing up the gelcoat.

I don't see the harm in towing with it off. If you have things flying out then your prob not pack correctly in the first place. A few extra min of sun on the seats while towing will do no harm. I guess I just don't see the issue???

I have always towed with my snap on covers on, especially long tows and have never had a problem. Just make sure they are stretched tight. I was coming back from the Chicago loop cruise last year (8hrs) and it was pouring rain through Iowa. I had to stop every 100miles to tighten the bow cover by raising the pole cause it was getting stretched by the heavy rain and would start to flop around. Once I got home and it all dried it went back to its original size and shape.

I don't think I have ever towed without my covers. It is covered in storage so I just take it from storage to the lake and uncover. I cover it back up when I am done. If the inside gets real wet then I may leave part of the cover undone while it is in storage to prevent any mold.

We have towed long distance's for several years though with the covers on and in all kinds of conditions. I see most boats going down the interstate with covers around here.

Just curiosity - maybe I don't get something. Most of boats I see towed on the road don't have cover. In heavy rain situation doesn't change much - yesterday I've seen couple of bowriders without cover in heavy rain in heavy traffic. And you might see them the same way far away from water - they towed without cover for long distances. Covers don't cost much - you might buy great custom trailerable cover and support for less then 1% of your boat cost. It doesn't take much time and efforts to put it on and take it out.

I'm puzzled scratchchin.gif

If you tow your boat with the cover on and it comes loose then the car behind you would be in BIG trouble. We used to tow and noticed that the snaps below the windshield would come off. One even tore thru. It is not meant to be on the boat at highway speed cuz wind can and will pull it off. Better to have a wet interior than cause an accident.

I've been on the highway when someone's boat cover came off. :o:angry2:

All I can say is you better be darn sure your cover is going to stay on!

Rain, dust?

Rain??? It's a boat... It's gonna get wet. Don't you wash it anyway?

Dust??? How many dust storms do you have in PA? If you're driving down the road at 60mph I would not worry about dust to much.

My old boat had the snap in covers. I would not tow with those because I was afraid they would fly off. Not worth the rist.

Later I purchased the normal aftermarket "tie down" type. I would not tow with it because I did not want to mess up my gelcoat.

I don't mind towing with the custom mooring cover that came with my Chap. I'm cool either way.

If you tow your boat with the cover on and it comes loose then the car behind you would be in BIG trouble.

Main is trailerable, it is designed for trailering. It has 16 straps to trailer and one rope tighten below vinyl trim molding all way around boat. It is impossible to loose it unless I forgot to strap it and tighten rope at the same time. I had no problems for 4 years, even sign of problem. The only time it can get loose - if it will wear, rote and tear, but I inspect it each time.

Main is trailerable, it is designed for trailering. It has 16 straps to trailer and one rope tighten below vinyl trim molding all way around boat. It is impossible to loose it unless I forgot to strap it and tighten rope at the same time. I had no problems for 4 years, even sign of problem. The only time it can get loose - if it will wear, rote and tear, but I inspect it each time.

Ooooohhhh. Yeah our 215 did not have that.

Rain??? It's a boat... It's gonna get wet. Don't you wash it anyway?

Dust??? How many dust storms do you have in PA? If you're driving down the road at 60mph I would not worry about dust to much.

My old boat had the snap in covers. I would not tow with those because I was afraid they would fly off. Not worth the rist.

Later I purchased the normal aftermarket "tie down" type. I would not tow with it because I did not want to mess up my gelcoat.

I don't mind towing with the custom mooring cover that came with my Chap. I'm cool either way.

Boat is going to get wet from the bottom. I wash it underneath, but never use water to wash gauges and remote. Also, seating on wet seats is not fun.

I would never tow my boat with cover on snaps.

I HAD the one with 16 straps, it became a huge sail 2 hours into a 5 hr. trip. All the straps were perfect when I put it on. Therefore, I tow without the cover when I go across the CA. desert. Just make sure everything is stowed tight. Never had a problem with dust or rain, besides, just gonna put it in the water and camp on a sandy beach.

We just cover it now in the dusty garage.

Mine is in my garage. I use it 3-4 times a week and I am only 20 mins to the lake. I don't haul anything in it that is what my truck is for. I have a cover and if I decide to stop using the boat as often I may cover it. It was 113 yesterday at the lake. I prefer not to stand out there messing with the cover. If it is raining I don't go normally but if it rains while I am on the lake I don't leave. I don't put my plug in until I am at the lake so if it rains on my boat all the water would drain out anyway. My boat has Marine Vinyl seats so water is not a issue. If your seats can't be just dried off you may want to look into getting those replaced.

I tow 100's of miles at a time so why tow with a cover:

• TAR - yes I have
  • DEER GUTS - yes I have
  • BUGS - yes I have

Besides the rain, dirty highway mist and dust.

If you have not ever experienced the thrill of cleaning any of the above out of your boat then I understand why you question towing with a cover.

Just trow a rope over the center of you cover accross the beam and tie it off, if the cover comes loose the rope will hold it until you can stop. If it comes off and covers someone's windshield then they were too close to start with...

Short halls - snap on in place

Long hauls - bimini down, mooring cover on. I have been in rain/sand mixed storms in OK, TX, & NM. I want all the protection I have available. I also don't want to say, "I should have ..." 2-cents.gif

I'm surprised by the responses on here about not towing with covers on. Everywhere we go we hardly ever see a boat without a cover on. Mainly snap on covers. They go down the interstate all the time that way. Like I said, I have been doing it for ohhhh 10 yrs and have never had more than one snap come undone. Sometimes I might put some blue painters tape along the front edge of the bow cover but I rarely do that. Interesting conversation on this topic.

I'm surprised by the responses on here about not towing with covers on. Everywhere we go we hardly ever see a boat without a cover on. Mainly snap on covers. They go down the interstate all the time that way. Like I said, I have been doing it for ohhhh 10 yrs and have never had more than one snap come undone. Sometimes I might put some blue painters tape along the front edge of the bow cover but I rarely do that. Interesting conversation on this topic.

I agree. Though typically when returning on short 30 minute trips from the river/lake I have the cover off to air things out. I have towed hundreds of miles at a time/ thousands of miles total with snap covered boats in tow. Never had anything close to coming off. I would much rather tow with a snap cover than worry about straps rubbing the gelcoat.

I've always trailed with the snap on covers on but I thinks it's caused them to prematurely fail. The edge material is coming apart and making a mess. I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on a trailering cover to protect from the rain and dust.

Towng with a snap cover might be more liability than protection. Double check the manufactuer's recommendation--cover may never come loose, but if it does...

you kinda answered your own question--it's your call to tow with cover or not... I would just suggest that cover indeed be towable. :Twocents:

Does anyone know where I can get a new snap on Taylor Made cover for my boat? Mine is a two piece. One is for the bow and another for main part of the boat. It has the bungee cords on the back that wrap around the little studs along the rear of the boat. I found a tag with "Model 2890" on it but I've searched the web and the Taylor Made site with no luck. Is this a Chap dealer thing?

The Admirable wants to make me a whole new cover from scratch but I was just wondering what it would cost to replace.

I've been one of the guys that lost a cover on I-65 in Louisville. Tore the @#$%@# out of my cover and straps, and needless to say pretty freakin scary. I actually drug the entire cover about a mile down the interstate, hanging on by only 2 transom straps. Not fun.

Does anyone know where I can get a new snap on Taylor Made cover for my boat? Mine is a two piece. One is for the bow and another for main part of the boat. It has the bungee cords on the back that wrap around the little studs along the rear of the boat. I found a tag with "Model 2890" on it but I've searched the web and the Taylor Made site with no luck. Is this a Chap dealer thing?

The Admirable wants to make me a whole new cover from scratch but I was just wondering what it would cost to replace.

check sailrite.com for snaps and bungees.

My wife kindly modified cover for wakeboar tower (below opening sides are connected by Velcro). My design, not patented yet:)

gallery_631_254_66260.jpg

I ordered custom cover from here, one made from Sunbrella will cost < 450.

I've been one of the guys that lost a cover on I-65 in Louisville. Tore the @#$%@# out of my cover and straps, and needless to say pretty freakin scary. I actually drug the entire cover about a mile down the interstate, hanging on by only 2 transom straps. Not fun.

That's scary. Towing with cover for 4 years, never had problems:)

Either, your cover is not trailerable, old, or you were towing over 60MPH....