fripon27

debating between chaparal or Bryant

I thought Bryant was an air conditioner.

Or a basket ball player?

Dude , your on a chap sight, what do you think will be recommended?

Bryant makes nice boats, BUT, they're of the bayliner type no wood stringer hull construction that gets a little tough on the kidneys and don't have the smooth ride of the chaps, there lighter( no wood) so they should go a little faster.

I go out on a limb and go against the wave of Chaparral loyalty here.

As a current Chaparral owner (and I love my little 180SSi), if I were to buy a new 20-footer today it would be a Bryant 210. I just don't like the styling of the new Chaparral boats, call me old fashioned. And Bryant does have some interesting features that I like and make a lot of sense to me...forward mounted fuel tank and in-laid striping are two. They use their space wisely and still use what I call "real" gauges (VDO round and ledgible). I'm as impressed with their workmanship as Chaparral and Regal. But it'll come down to what features are important to you and personal preference. ;)

Or a basket ball player?

I thought it was a brand of bacon?

I don't like to disagree with B____, as he's forgotten more than I'll ever know on a wide range of topics. Having said that, the Bryant 196 is weak against a 196 SSi WideTech IMO. Mainly in the dash compartment design (notice the cookie cutter vs. beautiful moldings) inferior and uncomfortable buckets vs. Chap spec'd type; easier to get into and out of the Chap type, and the Chap bolster is more comfortable on long rides. The Bryant type puts the backs of my legs to sleep, even when in the down position. Optional Chap Premium buckets are nicest out there.

Ski locker lid with foam sound deadener is much nicer on the Chap, plus the RTM ski locker cover has a lot more traction than starboard material used in Bryant ski locker cover. (when carpet is removed)

No integrated one-piece bow door on Bryant 196 - huge feature for us Northeners on the Chap 196 SSi W/T and larger offerings. SS magnet for Chap 196 center winshield too.

Extended V-Plane on the Chap offers more stern lift, smoother ride, and fast planing.

Small windshield on Bryant vs. the Chap.

Twin fuel fills on the Chap; awfully hard to be on the wrong side at the fuel pump.

What I like about the Bryant.

Forward mounted fuel tank.

Integrated swim platform vs. bolt-on. (both boats have it)

Dedicated bow anchor locker. (both boats have it)

Hinged bow and cockpit storage compartments. Chaparral has done that on earlier SSi offerings, but went away from it with new SSi W/T design due to harder access for items tucked down deep.

VDO gauges. Work well and are easy to read. I've grown attached to the square digitally run Chap gauges with space for dedicated in dash GPS, or for 2011 one can get round analog Faria gauges as standard.

Composite stringers and transom. (standard on both the Bryant and Chaparral SSi W/T series) Mixed blessing here, as they are robust against rot, but do transmit more noise and 'hull boom' into the cockpit.

Both are beautifully finished boats in a sea of average. The Chap is the benchmark for its class IMO though.

Whichever way you go, I do recommend a fuel injected engine. NOTE: 196 SSi W/T comes with a ss prop with the 4.3L MPI, and is VERY fast to plane, provides strong mid range, and blistering top speed numbers.

I don't like to disagree with B____, as he's forgotten more than I'll ever know on a wide range of topics.

Hey!!! I may live in TN, but I do realize that this is just code for saying I'm old! :scratchchin::haha-7383:

I'll admit that my observation is based on just my personnel preferences.

Shepherd probably has one of them corporate Chap vs Bryant sales documents that digs into some of the unseen nuances.

But I still can't overcome my dislike of the Chap dash and edgy upholstery styling. I like the buckets, but the rest I can't stand.

By the way, which Chap model requires lifting the full engine lid to get to the cooler? (now that's engineering! :rolleyes: )

Dude , your on a chap sight, what do you think will be recommended?

Bryant makes nice boats, BUT, they're of the bayliner type no wood stringer hull construction that gets a little tough on the kidneys and don't have the smooth ride of the chaps, there lighter( no wood) so they should go a little faster.

Bryant makes really nice boats and few of them (400 hand crafted). I wouldn't even use Bayliner in the same sentence. IMHO Bryants are more in the league of Cobalt in terms of build quality and customer service. If they made a small cruiser I would have one now. I had a Bryant and visited their factory and got to see how they were built. I am sorry if I offend the Chap loyalists here but I have owned both and Bryant is second to none for customer service and build quality.

My apologies,

Brian

Bryant makes really nice boats and few of them (400 hand crafted). I wouldn't even use Bayliner in the same sentence. IMHO Bryants are more in the league of Cobalt in terms of build quality and customer service. If they made a small cruiser I would have one now. I had a Bryant and visited their factory and got to see how they were built. I am sorry if I offend the Chap loyalists here but I have owned both and Bryant is second to none for customer service and build quality.

My apologies,

Brian

we have diff. opinions, to me there like bayliners and I'm not one of the chap loyalists. If I were to buy a cruiser in a few years, it would not be a chap. to me there customer service has fallen way short of my expectations.

Hey!!! I may live in TN, but I do realize that this is just code for saying I'm old! :scratchchin::haha-7383:

I'll admit that my observation is based on just my personnel preferences.

Shepherd probably has one of them corporate Chap vs Bryant sales documents that digs into some of the unseen nuances.

But I still can't overcome my dislike of the Chap dash and edgy upholstery styling. I like the buckets, but the rest I can't stand.

By the way, which Chap model requires lifting the full engine lid to get to the cooler? (now that's engineering! :rolleyes: )

I'm not calling anyone old, code or not! :lol: ; my face has enough worry wrinkles, crows feet and laugh lines for 2 people. Looking now for wisdom that some people are graced with.

Where is a 25 quart marine cooler stored on the Bryant 196? I only ask because I didn't see it during my search.

Chaparral doesn't have a comparsion vs. Bryant, but they should as they're true competition; albeit in lower numbers.

I hear you on the general shape of the dash, gauges, etc. As you say, purely based on personal preferences; a lot of boats look the same and I like the new shape. I really miss the port dash cooler such as the 204 and 210 SSi models employed...sacrificed a small but very functional and easy to reach cooler on the altar of maximixing cockpit space, etc.

As for what's better, a Bryant 196 or a Chaparral 196 SSi WideTech, I base my preference on the merits of the boats alone that are important to me. Any potential customer would be remiss without taking a hard look at the selling dealers too with perhaps the same emphasis as the boats deserve.

If everything is at a stale mate, the king maker is a back-to-back water test between the 2 models with equal power. Ride, handling, price, ergonomics-layout, construction, and features should rule the day in that order IMO. Both are finished superbly, have excellent resale and reputations, and are made from long lasting quality components.

There are certainly many sub-par 19' boat models to have on a customers short list. These 2 examples are the best of an assorted lot.

I think the Bryant's are more of a regional boat. The low volumes mean that they don't get around much. Out west, nobody ever heard of a Bryant. But here in the southeast, they've got a great reputation. The dealers and customers specific to my area get super treatment, the Bryant plant is only 40 miles south of me in Sweetwater. :)

They've got a great color, Mango, it's like a dark orange and it looks nice on the water. And with all the UT fans around here, you can bet it's a popular color. :rolleyes:

Hi B__

The Bryant is a great regional boat. However if you move a couple of states away... I wonder what kind of trade -in you would get. What about the book value if a total loss? I would never question B____ as to the engineering. I love my boat. Factory customer service & dealer service has been exceptional :scratchchin:

There are dealers world wide and from east to west in US.

Bryant Boat Dealers US and Worldwide

...to me there like bayliners and I'm not one of the chap loyalists.
- <_<

Right so Cobalt also must be like Bayliner.

As mentioned above, look at the boats, crawl through them, pay close attention to the bilge areas, whether things are through bolted or just screwed, are the graphics stickers or gelcoat, stanless steel through hulls/fittings or nylon, etc. And if you are really into it, visit the manufacturing facilities.

Hi, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I've owned a Bryant 214 for eight summers now. I bought it new in 2003 and it has been a great boat. When I decided to step up to a larger boat I looked at both the Bryant and Chaparral. I ended up with a 2010 264 Sunesta. I couldn't be happier.....great boat!

see ya!

Hi, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I've owned a Bryant 214 for eight summers now. I bought it new in 2003 and it has been a great boat. When I decided to step up to a larger boat I looked at both the Bryant and Chaparral. I ended up with a 2010 264 Sunesta. I couldn't be happier.....great boat!

see ya!

Sunesta is indeed a wonderful boat! Congrats on your new boat.

:thsmilie_water_119-1: Welcome to the forum Nixon. We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers for you to do (if you have not already done so) to help us help you:

1. By clicking on your name in the upper right corner to bring up your options select my profile to add into your signature your location (geographic area).

2. Also under your signature add the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.

3. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.

4. Take a minute to review our Terms of Service, again right corner. There is good information in there that you will want to know including that we cannot discuss pricing. But read some of our other posts on here to learn the work around for that. ;)

5. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.

6. Take some time to look through the Help (upper right corner) and Info Center located under Chaparral Boats Forum on the main page. From there you will find parts guides, brochures, manuals, specifications, canvas installation manuals, vinyl care information, square gauge setup, weather links, computer desktop backgrounds, etc. Lots of good stuff there for you and your Chaparral!

7. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger. :thsmilie_water_119-1:

WOW..... I've never heard of Bryant Boats.....

I just looked them up to see...nice looking

Nixon, welcome to the group..... :oregonian_winesmiley:

fripon27, Bryants are nice boats, you'll just have to make up your own mind which one your going to buy....

matt

Looked up there web page and now I understand why I had not heard of them. There is only one dealer in Texas and it is down south. They also do not make a cruiser, so I wouldn't of been looking at them. IMHO - Chap has better looking models! :dancinguy:

My apologies,

Brian

Agree, Cap'n Brian.

I currently own a '99 Bryant 182 ltd and the Chap Sig. Our Bryant is a fabulous little boat and served us well for 9 years. IMO, the fit and finish is superior to Chap, as I believe some of the mfg processes/ quality controls are a bit sloppy. Chap, on the other hand, are very functional boats and the designs of each model are great. One reason we chose our 310 over other brands was due to design. The Sig 310 is a very functional boat for the needs of our family. Although, our little bow rider has less moving parts than a cruiser, we have had fewer issues with the Bryant.

I think both boats are a great value and, IMO you would not go wrong with either one.

Kevin