Chaparral1

Extend the extended warranty?

I've got an '07 256 ssi 350 VP with an extended warranty thru Nov. of this year. Volvo-Penta sent me an extended warranty offer - 18 large deer for 2 yrs and 26 large deer for 3 yrs. I've got 340 hrs on the boat and service it every 100 hrs. I'm located in S. Fl and boat year round. I'm thinking this might be a good idea in light of the XDP issues. I guess it comes down to comfort level with risk however anyone ever had a good or bad experience with this extension of warranty? Thank you in advance - always get good info on this site.

I agree with Sean's thought process---even if you didn't read the extended warranty carefully the first time, ask for a copy of the new warranty you might get and read carefully and ask questions before you sign so you know what's covered and what's not.

You could always start a separate account for your own extended warranty and then invest that money into something that will create growth. Then if you ever need the money that you put aside it will be there to help cover the cost of something repaired. Remember that these companies offer extended warranties because they make a lot of deer on them. And I do mean a lot! It is one of the highest profit margin items sold. It's like gambling where the odds are always way in favor of the house.

Now that typed, if you have had issues and want to protect yourself (I have a car like this and the extended warranty has more than paid for itself multiple times now) then go for it. In my experience if you have not had any issues and you are maintaining it correctly then you likely will not have any issues going forward. Oh, and yes, most definitely check out the exclusions.

Well if you take care of it the way you do. I wouldn't; cause it's just a money maker for them....

matt

Hmmm... I was seriously thinking about getting the extended plan myself. BUT I want EVERYTHING MADE BY VP to be covered INCLUDING the bellows. I don't think that the engine itself will be a problem however so now I am going to re-think culling 2400-+ white tails from my herd. I will take a better look at the EXCLUSIONS and will call VP back again to discuss the INCLUSIONS.

18K deer for a 2 year extended warranty policy? That is a LOT more than V.P. offered to me...6K deer for two years for BOTH engines and outdrives.....

Hmmm... I was seriously thinking about getting the extended plan myself. BUT I want EVERYTHING MADE BY VP to be covered INCLUDING the bellows. I don't think that the engine itself will be a problem however so now I am going to re-think culling 2400-+ white tails from my herd. I will take a better look at the EXCLUSIONS and will call VP back again to discuss the INCLUSIONS.

Agree with Wine Maker. The key is what’s covered.

I purchased my boat used early this spring. Being a 2007 with an extended transferrable warranty I was able to take advantage and have my failed Trim pump replaced under warranty – 700 deer. When the season is over I intend to have the Trim sending unit replaced (gauge no workie) and the sticking trim button on the control looked at. Though I didn’t pay for the warranty initially it would have been a good investment for the previous owner had he continued to own the boat.

If it is offered to me I will consider it. It’s ironic that companies are able to profit from our lack of confidence in their products.

Agree with Wine Maker. The key is what's covered.

I purchased my boat used early this spring. Being a 2007 with an extended transferrable warranty I was able to take advantage and have my failed Trim pump replaced under warranty – 700 deer. When the season is over I intend to have the Trim sending unit replaced (gauge no workie) and the sticking trim button on the control looked at. Though I didn't pay for the warranty initially it would have been a good investment for the previous owner had he continued to own the boat.

If it is offered to me I will consider it. It's ironic that companies are able to profit from our lack of confidence in their products.

Yeah and when they PROMOTE the extended warranty what does THAT tell you? Thing is, things CAN happen, and that's where it's a numbers game. So do I spend the $$ and hope something DOES happen to justify the expense? Or just buy it for what it is, insurance in a way, and if nothing hapens then all the better. OR don't buy it and keep on keeping on? In comparison to what the costs CAN be for major failures, or even accumulated minor ones, it can be somewhat comforting to know that MORE livestock will not be slaugthered.