catalanc

204 in the Sound

15 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

I am buying a 2008 Chap 204 and am new to this forum. We are trading in our trophy (22') for the Chap which matches our needs better. Mainly on lake washington - but I really like to get out on the sound once in a while. for instance, would like to cruise from shilshole to port townsend, on a nice day. any comments on how the 204 would handle trips like this?

l appreciate any info and look forward to a lot of good reading on this site.

cec

Not familiar with your waters so cannot answer with total veracity.

But I would like to welcome you to the forum!

:thsmilie_water_119-1: Welcome to the forum catalanc1. We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers for you to do (if you have not already done so) to help us help you:

1. By clicking on your name in the upper right corner to bring up your options select my profile to add into your signature your location (geographic area).

2. Also under your signature add the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.

3. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.

4. Take a minute to review our Terms of Service, again right corner. There is good information in there that you will want to know including that we cannot discuss pricing. But read some of our other posts on here to learn the work around for that. ;)

5. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.

6. Take some time to look through the Help (upper right corner) and Info Center located under Chaparral Boats Forum on the main page. From there you will find parts guides, brochures, manuals, specifications, canvas installation manuals, vinyl care information, square gauge setup, weather links, computer desktop backgrounds, etc. Lots of good stuff there for you and your Chaparral!

7. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger. :thsmilie_water_119-1:

I cruised a Chap 2135 from Lake WA to the San Juan islands on two or three occassions. I only went in July / August and carefully watched the weather forecast, esp. wind conditions and tides. Make sure to have a VHF radio and meet other USCG requirements for visual distress signals (flares, etc.). Paper charts and/or GPS is a must IMO.

With a good weather forecast, you should have a great time outside of the lake - enjoy!

Excellent, thanks BWSMALLW. Just out of curiosity, what route did you take to the SJI? I was thinking - hug the coast up to anacortes and then make a mad dash to the islands, assuming the weather/water is cooperative.

cec

Thanks cec for starting this thread. And also thanks to bwsmallw for the good info. I have a 2550SX (Leschi moorage) and will probably be taking a San Juan trip next year. One thing I would recommend... get a BoatUS membership. Basically, Triple-A for your boat. Comes with Vessel Assist. Get the "gold" package -- covers you in both fresh and saltwater. It is very reasonable -- roughly $150-175 per year.

:beer-7687-1: Congrats and welcome. With a 204 I would recommend trailering to Anacortes and boat across to San Juans.As for Port Townsend, that's a little easier and the 204 should be fine in either case. Sometimes it gets pretty nasty in Lake Washington too. Make sure you KNOW the tides and weather. :boating:

You've been getting some great feedback. I've made the run over to Pt Townsend - I leave from the north end of Bainbridge island directly across the sound from Shilshole, and shortcut over to Oak Bay and enter Port Townsend bay through the south canal (best done not at low tide - and tides are different than Admiralty Inlet). Yep, really watch the weather and tides. If you want a comfortable and pleasant cruise, you'll want to make sure you have light breezes, no more than 5 Knots. Much more of a northerly than that and it gets really choppy rounding Foulweather Bluff in Admiralty Inlet headed out, and the same coming back if it's a southerly. I'm sure it's doable in choppier conditions but it would be a slow rough ride in boats our size. Also, make sure you're up to speed on your nautical and piloting skills, and your knowledge of the rules, and have all required and necessary gear on board. It's always good to have a back up plan on optional protected anchorages along the way just in case the weather changes and the ride starts to get unpleasant. As an aside, the smart tabs on my boat help greatly heading into choppy conditions as I can throttle way back to 18 - 20 mph and still stay on plane.

Hey Guys,

Been a while since i checked my own thread! Thanks a lot for all the great info. Pretty much done for the year (went out on Lake Washington yesterday - beautiful!) but I fear it's time to seriously consider winterizing :{

Anyway, I was considering the south canal approach to Port Townsend and glad to hear that it is OK. I had my 18 foot bayliner bowrider around foulweather bluff but it was a bit late in the day so decided to head back home and not try to make it the whole way. I have charts, a hand-held VHF (should I invest in a mounted one?) and I will purchase a Garmin 440 before next spring when I will brave the trip to PT. Good info on the wind limits and tide warnings; been learning how to read all this from the tables. Flares, life vests, first aid kit and tool kit always on board (as is a bottle of wine!).

Hey, Covedog. I have read a lot about smart tabs and it seems pretty much a chap consensus that these things are great. You agree? I was also reading a searay forum and that group was not as impressed. They worried about the stern getting pushed down in a following sea. Ever had any issues?

anyway, thanks again for all the information. hope you all get it through the rain and clouds until spring.

cec

Hey Guys,

Been a while since i checked my own thread! Thanks a lot for all the great info. Pretty much done for the year (went out on Lake Washington yesterday - beautiful!) but I fear it's time to seriously consider winterizing :{

Anyway, I was considering the south canal approach to Port Townsend and glad to hear that it is OK. I had my 18 foot bayliner bowrider around foulweather bluff but it was a bit late in the day so decided to head back home and not try to make it the whole way. I have charts, a hand-held VHF (should I invest in a mounted one?) and I will purchase a Garmin 440 before next spring when I will brave the trip to PT. Good info on the wind limits and tide warnings; been learning how to read all this from the tables. Flares, life vests, first aid kit and tool kit always on board (as is a bottle of wine!).

Hey, Covedog. I have read a lot about smart tabs and it seems pretty much a chap consensus that these things are great. You agree? I was also reading a searay forum and that group was not as impressed. They worried about the stern getting pushed down in a following sea. Ever had any issues?

anyway, thanks again for all the information. hope you all get it through the rain and clouds until spring.

cec

cec,

Yep - the smart tabs have improved the overall performance of my 215 - quicker on plane w/ less bow rise, better tracking at no wake speeds in current and wind, better rough water performance, and (most important to me) ability to throttle way back and stay on plane - in my case, down to around 18 mph. This is a great asset for Puget Sound boating - slow way down for large wakes without losing plane and quickly throttle back up - make good but slow headway in rough seas without a bow sticking up in the air and getting beat up - and fuel efficient and low rpm quiet cruising in the mid 20's mph for socializing or better long range fuel efficiency. You will want to go with the 60 lb actuators for your boat. I have the 80 lb actuators on my 215 and they work great but are on the softest possible setting. I got the standard metal tabs with anodes, but I wish I had got the SX composite versions as green stuff likes to grow on them and I need to clean them regularly (my boat sits in the salt 24/7).

As a part of preparing for your trip - get a copy of Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship by Husick. If you're a boater, it's the bible.

I've had no issues with following seas - and pushing the stern down is counterintuitive - they actually add a small upward force on the stern bringing the bow down for a more efficient planing attitude, and add effective length to the hull.

Hey Covedog,

I have "talked" to you in the past about your 215, smart tabs and GPS mounts. So - I am seriously considering smart tabs and looked at the transom on my 204 ssi. Trying to figure out exactly where to put them so that the top of the actuator can actually on a flat surface. My understanding is that you want them outboard as far as possible, but then the actuator top would not fall on a flat surface. I presume that the transom on your 215 is similar. Where did you mount your smart tabs? Do you by any chance have any pics? Also, if the smart tabs are mounted more inboard, doesn't this mess up the function of a transom mount transducer for a depth finder? I am considering a thru-hull or in-hull transducer. Do you have one mounted?

Anyway, I appreciate any info that you might have. Have a great new year and hope to see all of youse guys on the sound!

cec

Hi I have a 180SSI and i alway's take my boat from Manchester to Seattle with-out incedent, Just watch the tides and you should be fine

Hey Dandelano,

Thanks for the update. One question, though. I have heard many times now "keep an eye on the tides". In this context, does everyone really mean the tidal currents?

cec

It's not just the current. You need to know the tide levels and where shallow water may be. Get some charts of Puget Sound so you know where shallow water is. :boating: Also a combination of tidal exchange per hour + wind speed and direction will help determine how rough it may be. Experience will also show you that "riding" the direction of the tide ( in or out) can make for a more pleasant ride. For example if you go from Shilsoe to Port Townsend on an outgoing tide and back on the incomming tide, it may be easier. :Twocents:

We're just "up the street"... so to speak (in Vancouver)...

hope to catch up with you guys out in the Gulf Island / San Juan Islands at some point...

:beer-7687-1: