bhp

276 SSX Holding Tank pump out

Hello, all. I just bought a used 2008 276 SSX. I'm pretty happy with the boat so far, but my holding tank has been a bit of a frustration. I get it pumped at the gas dock, but it only seems to empty half way. The previous owner claims he never used it. The first time I used it, it took quite a while to fill up. It's a two-tank system, and it looks to hold about 8 gallons, but i'm not 100% sure. Here's a pic:

post-8889-1282050000_thumb.png

When I emptied it, the 3/4 light went out, but it has been filling up pretty quickly since then.

Each time I pump out, the lights go out, but i'm back to 3/4s very quickly. I have tried a couple different methods to pump it out including:

1. Do Nothing
  2. Turn on vaccuflush, hold down flusher with water pressure off/on

It doesn't seem to work at all if I don't have the water pressure and vaccuflush system on, but when I do this, i'm just filling the tanks with water during pump out, so it seems counter-productive.

Any suggestions here? I'm just not convinced that I'm getting a full pump out, and it's the only frustrating element of my new baby so far!

Oh, amen to this post. I have the same issue. My marina's pump won't make a budge in the tank. I spoke with dealer and he said that you need to hold the head ball valve open to successfully pump the tank out. I was doing that. He said also to wrap a wet rag around the nozzle to get a tight seal on the pump out system. I am resolved to do it the messy way with my shop vac at home.

FYI, I know you have a few of the things I recommended. I have never gotten a good explanation of how the system works. I do not have the onbaord pump out.

I think my book for the holding tank on my 285 ssx ( 275 ssi ) said to hold the flushing pedal down and there is a lock button on it to keep it down so there is a way for air to get into the system while you are sucking at the other end. It also said to leave the vacuum and water pumps off for the empty procedure.

I agree with all the above. The pump out works 1000 x's better with the pedal held down and water turned off. No issues now that I found that cure.Take care.....GR

Hello, all. I just bought a used 2008 276 SSX. I'm pretty happy with the boat so far, but my holding tank has been a bit of a frustration. I get it pumped at the gas dock, but it only seems to empty half way. The previous owner claims he never used it. The first time I used it, it took quite a while to fill up. It's a two-tank system, and it looks to hold about 8 gallons, but i'm not 100% sure. Here's a pic:

post-8889-1282050000_thumb.png

When I emptied it, the 3/4 light went out, but it has been filling up pretty quickly since then.

Each time I pump out, the lights go out, but i'm back to 3/4s very quickly. I have tried a couple different methods to pump it out including:

1. Do Nothing
  2. Turn on vaccuflush, hold down flusher with water pressure off/on

It doesn't seem to work at all if I don't have the water pressure and vaccuflush system on, but when I do this, i'm just filling the tanks with water during pump out, so it seems counter-productive.

Any suggestions here? I'm just not convinced that I'm getting a full pump out, and it's the only frustrating element of my new baby so far!

OK, if you have a Vacuflush here is how it works. When you flush, the waste goes to a small tank that is pressurized called the vacuum generator. When the waste gets to this tank the pleasure in the thank goes to zero. As the pressure builds up in the Vacuum generator the waste gets transfer to the holding tank. The holding tank is never pressurized, it has a vent that keeps it from pressurizing. If you flush and get a foul smell outside the boat it means that you need to replace the carbon filter. It's located between the holding tank and the vent. Some boats don't come equipped with a filter. Mine did.

Going back to your issue, it might be that your marina's pump doesn't suck hard enough to get everything. For a Vacuflush head you don't need to hold the toilet open while you pump out. .

Please dont ask me how I know so much about Vacuflush.

:wacko::wacko:

it is much more effective for mine when the vacuflush is off and I open and close the toilet ball valve multiple times. I can see in the clear portion of the pump out hose "results" when I do this. My marina uses 2 versions one is a threaded connection into the boat (that one works the best) the other is the suction cup and that works so-so. I know I am empty when I put a bit of the green holding tank treatment in the tank give it one more pull from the hose and see some of it suck through. Probably don't ever get 100% but it does make a difference

I haven't had any issues with mine. It is a pretty simple and reliable setup IMO.

OK, if you have a Vacuflush here is how it works. When you flush, the waste goes to a small tank that is pressurized called the vacuum generator. When the waste gets to this tank the pleasure in the thank goes to zero. As the pressure builds up in the Vacuum generator the waste gets transfer to the holding tank. The holding tank is never pressurized, it has a vent that keeps it from pressurizing. If you flush and get a foul smell outside the boat it means that you need to replace the carbon filter. It's located between the holding tank and the vent. Some boats don't come equipped with a filter. Mine did.

Going back to your issue, it might be that your marina's pump doesn't suck hard enough to get everything. For a Vacuflush head you don't need to hold the toilet open while you pump out. .

Please don’t ask me how I know so much about Vacuflush.

:wacko::wacko:

thanks for all the responses, everyone.

so today i couldn't pump out at all, and i tried 2 different pump out stations. spent about my whole day working on the stupid thing. i think i had decent suction, as i tested it on sea water, but nothing at ALL came out.

i poured some water down the waste fitting where i attach the pump out, and it overflowed immediately which makes me think the discharge hose is blocked, but it's a pretty big hose, so that seems unlikely at least conceptually. the vent hose is much smaller, and it seems more likely that it could be blocked. any idea how i can tell which one is blocked?

i was going to try snaking the discharge hose with an old garden hose with the ends cut off. the vent hose is a little smaller, so i don't know if i can snake it without damaging it. thoughts?

i poured some water down the waste fitting where i attach the pump out, and it overflowed immediately which makes me think the discharge hose is blocked, but it's a pretty big hose, so that seems unlikely at least conceptually.

There is a one way valve on that line to hold the vacuum. My tank is only 6 gallons if that helps. Pumped it out for the first time this season, two weeks ago.

matt

There is a one way valve on that line to hold the vacuum. My tank is only 6 gallons if that helps. Pumped it out for the first time this season, two weeks ago.

matt

gotcha. any idea if i could snake the lines without damaging them?

First here is a link that explains how a vacuum flush system works. http://www.sealandtechnology.com/vfdemo.asp

The system on my boat is the vacuum flush and I have never had to do any of the things above to get it pumped completely out. Don't even have to turn the vacuum flush system off. There is a valve between the vacuum generator and the holding part of the tank and there should not be any air being sucked through there. There isn't a valve in the line from the side of the boat into the holding tank. One thought is that the vent line to the holding tank is clogged. If for some reason the level in the tank was allow to overflow out the vent it is possible that the line or (if installed) the filter has something in it. Also another think with this type of waste system is never use TP from the house. Use only the type of TP that you by like in a camping or marine store. Regular TP will clog the line from the bowl to the tank. It can also clog the vacuum generator. Once it is in the holding tank it will cause a buildup. Really no fun to clean out. :wacko:

There is a difference I see in the system that is on your boat and the one that is on the cruiser like I have. I have a regular vacuum flush system that has seperate vacuum generator and holding tank. Where the one on your boat is a vacuum holding tank (all in one). It would seem that you need to shut it off and flush the toilet. The manual above has a lot of information on how it works. There is a duckbill valve in the pump out hose after looking at the parts manual.

Did you ever resolve this? I have a very similar issue. Went to pump out today for the first time since I purchased boat. Wouldn’t suck out waste but seemed to have a strong vacuum. Also filled very quickly with water when trying to fill through pump out outlet. It’s on a 2002 285ssi. It’s the VHT model.

I take the hose from the dock and hold the pedal down and pump fresh water in as the pump out is going on.  Run this process til all I get is clear water getting pumped out.  

There are a couple SeaLand systems that Chap uses. On your 276, the vacuum pump never sees waste. All it does is generate and maintain a heavy vacuum on the holding tank at all times. Your toilet ball valve holds the vacuum at one end, and a swing check valve in the pump out line ensures that the vacuum holds at the other end. As long as the vacuum pump valve holds then you have a sealed system which is constantly under full vacuum. I personally like this system as it keeps stored waste under a vacuum while in storage, resulting in no odors and no "bio-activity".  The limitation to this system is flush-able distance, so the bigger Chaps use a diaphragm transfer pump and duck bill valves that transfer waster through a vacuum booster tank and into an atmospheric pressure storage tank which is vented overboard.

Now back to your case. When you pump out your system, you must break the vacuum, as failing to do so will have the marina pump fighting your system vacuum. Turn you vacuum pump off, and block the toilet flush ball valve wide open. There is actually a little lever on your toilet that holds the valve open. This relieves the vacuum and also allows air to enter one end of your system while you are sucking on the other end.

Good luck.   W

On 11/7/2017 at 5:29 PM, Jjlai724 said:

I take the hose from the dock and hold the pedal down and pump fresh water in as the pump out is going on.  Run this process til all I get is clear water getting pumped out.  

This worked for me. Turns out the kid at the dock didn't know what he was doing. I read up on system and went back to show them how. Worked great. Flushed out quickly!

3 hours ago, ChappedAss285 said:

This worked for me. Turns out the kid at the dock didn't know what he was doing. I read up on system and went back to show them how. Worked great. Flushed out quickly!

:clapsmiley::clapsmiley:

This past year I had to replace my Vacuum pump and a duckbill valve in the discharge line that goes from the tank to the waste fitting. When I pump out my tank, I turn off the vacuum pump and open the ball to the toilet. I hold it open and I can hear the air sucking all the way from the toilet. Try that and see if that helps.