Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SGBOATING

SGBoating Phuket Rendezvous 2010

12 posts in this topic

Last we went Phuket on holiday (via flight and not via boat) was some 10 years back and recall the beaches there were clean and water crystal clear...not sure about it now.

Would love to join up for this trip if logistic can be arranged but would not want to go with alternative 1.

# Voyage Under Power (for me = no)

# Land Transportation (agreeable)

# Tow Barge Transportation (not so favorable as boats need be strapped/cargo secured via rough sea voyage and reckon off load via floating crane?...no experience with this but trust this route covered by existing insurance?)...

Would like to move around in Phuket for couple of days with the boat then personnel depart towards home via flight.

Exaco

Hello all

My ideal is Voyage Under Power from Spore to Phuket in the manner Eric described - a night here, a night there to refuel/re-energize. Then spend a couple of days in Phuket exploring. Then have the boats shipped BACK to Spore by land or sea. (This is less "frightening" than shipping TO Phuket in view of the customs complexity Eric highlighted during our casual chat in the recent Nongsa trip.)

The "shipping back" part will reduce total number of days of the adventure and off work which will indirectly increase feasibility of the trip not only to the boat owners but also their guests/passengers. This will also increase chances of coming up with a time period when all interested owners can make it for the trip. (Of course shipping TO & BACK Phuket minimises the said time period and therefore maximises the said feasibility, but it is offsetted by doubling the already expected high cost of shipping the boats just one-way. One also will have to give up the thrill of navigating to Phuket AND stopping at various ports.)

Check this out : http://www.dynaglass.com.sg/gonefishingtophuket.html

It's about 2 Made-in-Spore Dynaglass 28' fishing boats (read : no cabin) made it to Phuket back in 1995 (read : no chartplotter) so it shouldn't matter to a bunch of Chaparral owners man! From another angle, if eventually I will make such a boating trip to Phuket, I'd rather do it now when a boat (i.e. not necessarily mine) is relatively new than older - Carpe Diem!

K.C. "CLOUD 9"

Hi everyone.

There is another way to consider that was mentioned to me just recently. You can HIRE a skipper to take your boat to Phuket for you.

You can even give instructions on the speed you want them to take (ie not over 20knots etc) and provide them with a debit card (or cash) so that they can stop at various marinas along the way for refueling. I was told it would normally take about 4 days for them to complete the trip in this way, allowing you the luxury (is air asia considered luxury??) to fly to phuket with your boat there waiting for you.

A lot of newbie sail boat owners have done a similar arrangement so i see no reason why it couldn't be arranged for power boats. The only question is, where to find the skippers?

regards

Dave

COOL CHANGE I :thsmilie_water_119-1:

Hi Eric

Regarding departure date / return date....suggest all interested parties to submit the entire feasible time period from 20 Nov (beginning of school vacation) to 31 Dec that they are free for the venture. Then you could collate all those individual time windows and find one that fits all/most participants.

For me, I can only make it anytime from 1 Dec - 23 Dec (i.e. no Nov dates is feasible for me).

K.C. "CLOUD 9"

Here's a quote received from a barge operator below. The cost is exceptionally high even if we can stuff 10 boats for a one-way journey. If anyone know of barge operator, do forward me their contacts so i can solicit for more favorable quotes.

Vessel : 150’ barge + 700 HP tug

Cargo : 10 units of yacht, size: 35’ X 11’ X 12’ including cradle each, max weight 5 tons

POL : 1 SBP Jurong port

POD : 1 SBP Phuket

Terms : Liner in hook free out

Laytime : 1 day at POD

Rate : SGD 106,000.00

Demurrage : SGD 2,300.00 per day

It excludes cargo insurance, custom clearance, bunker adjustment factor (if any), cargo wharfage. The above is subject to vessel availability at time of confirmation, final packing list and other details.

Best regards

K E Tan

General Manager

Tug and Barge Division

WINSTAR SHIPPING PTE LTD

39B Neil Road

Singapore 088823

Tel: +65 6220 0495

DID: +65 6272 8272

Fax: +65 6271 0922

Mobile: +65 9270 7316

E-mail: k.e.tan@winstar.com.sg

Hi Eric,

The quote is quite ridiculous. Just some comments for the uninitiated readers, in brackets...

Terms : Liner in hook free out

((( "hook free out" means hiring of stevedores + floating/shore crane at Phuket to unload boats from barge onto sea is for us to arrange and for our account. )))

Laytime : 1 day at POD

((( It should be ok. Entire law books have been written on just this subject of "Laytime" alone. 24 consecutive hours SHINC would be clearer. But the freight rate is so unacceptable high that commenting more on this is a waste of time.... )))

Rate : SGD 106,000.00

((( By "rate", I am assuming they meant lumpsum freight for tug and barge. If I may compare it to dry bulk shipping, a 48,000 dwt dry bulk carrier, built 2008, with loadable quantity of about 42,000 mt cargo, currently cost about USD15,000 per day to hire.... )))

Demurrage : SGD 2,300.00 per day

((( This is where one can gauge indirectly how much margin is built into their quoted frt rate. Assuming 10 knots, 5 days' sailing SGP-PHKT-SGP, diesel cost USD560 pmt, etc. I estimate their cost is SGD52,000 for the venture. Add a respectable margin of 20% to it, it means it's still fair to counter them at about SGD60,000. )))

They mention "Bunker Adjustment Factor (if any)" - we should not agree to it. Bunkers prices are relatively low, not volatile of late, and it's a short voyage so there's no justification for it.

Wish I have contacts in the tug-barge biz but have none. But I recall the ST Classified has a column for tug-barge for rent and for sale.

K.C. "CLOUD 9"

We plan to have a day seminar sometime in early/mid October whereby a panel of "speakers" will be invited to share their experiences on Voyage Under Power. These will include;

Engine Talk - Preparation, spares, services available along the route

Electronic Talk - Route Planning, Stopovers

Skipper Talk - Owners, Captains that have made these journey themselvees over the years to share their experience

Safety Talk - As the subject goes

The date will be announce in our upcoming newsletter.

Cheers!

Eric

Hi Eric

If possible, believe commencement time of 1830 would be more participant-friendly due some office hours ending at 1800....pls consider. Thanks.

K.C. "CLOUD 9"