Sign in to follow this  
boatingincalgary

illegal Parts

Well for those that missed my post, i'm in school to become a marine tech and today i learn ( and this is brand new news to me) Its illegal to put automotive parts in your boat.

The reason is marine certified parts are shielded for fire proofing vapours and auto parts are not. The reason its not common knowledge is that you usually only get a fine for it when the fire inspector is trying to figure out what started the fire that burn up your boat.

News to me

It is common knowledge.

This information is listed in your state boat safety course.

If you never take one, you should. It's free in many states.

http://www.boat-ed.com

Also, it is stated in engine owners manuals.

It may be illegal for a marine mechanic to insatll non-marine rated components on a boat, but I don't think it is for a boat owner to install such parts on his boat.....ill advised, yes, illegal....don't think so.

Actually the instructor told us that in the USA if the tech in a reputable shop finds auto parts in the marine engine he's supposed to report the owner to coast guard regardless of who installed them

though its also illegal to speed but no one does that either ;)

A little clarrification: As I understand it, it is a violation of Coast Guard regulations (therfore illegal) to use automotive fuel pumps, carbs, fuel hoses, distributor caps, starters or alternators in a boat because they may possibly either leak fuel into the bilge or cause a spark, igniting any fumes which might be present. Items such as a power steering pump or water circulation pump may be used because they aren't a fire hazard contributor. Marine engines are basically automotive engines with different gaskets, freeze plugs and camshafts and sometimes oil pans. Auto parts may be used in their repair. I'm sure that if I'm wrong someone will quickly correct me. And, yes, a marine mechanic/technician is obligated to report an unsafe condition to the Coast Guard, but I believ he/she may first give the owner the opportunity ti correct the unsafe condition. After all, the owner might not even know that the unsafe condition exists. One of my previous boats had an automotive alternator on it when I purchased it. The previous owner claimed ignorance. I immediately replaced it, even before the boat was put into service by me. The goal is safety for all, not fines or citations. Stay safe, all. Hy