Sign in to follow this  
sunesta233crestwoodKY

Poll - fix trailer spindle or new axle - from prior post

trailer axle spindle / hub blowout results:

trailer place (Dukes AW in Louisville, KY which I would highly recommend) polished up the existing spindle. There was no damage where the bearings ride. Installed new bearings, backing plates / brakes, hubs on both sides with a new brake line. Ready to be mounted which will be my weekend project after touching up the new black drums with hunter green rustoleum.

Out the door w/ tax for [no pricing permitted]. better than [no pricing permitted] freight, and I feel comfortable with their judgment. DOn't think they'd put me on the road otherwise.

Any advice on bleeding brake lines, never done it?

thanks again for all the insight. Mike, Crestwood, KY.

Glad you getting it all worked out....

As for as bleeding the brakes it takes 2 people. I had the dummy end; working the actuator. He opened the fittings on the drums make; sure you start at the furthest one first. Then work your way the front ones.

PS. Take the $$$ signs out of your post, no pricing aloud.

matt

Make your life easy and get one of these. You can get them at any auto parts place or sears. I believe they come with instructions.

brake_bleed_tool.jpg

trailer axle spindle / hub blowout results:

trailer place (Dukes AW in Louisville, KY which I would highly recommend) polished up the existing spindle. There was no damage where the bearings ride. Installed new bearings, backing plates / brakes, hubs on both sides with a new brake line. Ready to be mounted which will be my weekend project after touching up the new black drums with hunter green rustoleum.

Out the door w/ tax for $400. better than $436 + $200 freight, and I feel comfortable with their judgment. DOn't think they'd put me on the road otherwise.

thanks again for all the insight. Mike, Crestwood, KY.

I thought you might save her. Now get a set of bearing buddies, and keep them lubed with Mobil Grease SHC and forget about them.

Wingnut

You also need to use the same type brake fluid. And if you have the old stuff, keep it off the paint or it will remove it for you. ;)

You can do it with one person but it is a huge PITA.

Search the forums there are topics on that specifically.

Search HOWTO videos on youtube. It is simple DIY job, but I would recommend another person to help you.

You will need regular DOT3 brake fluid from nearest shop. Your actuator should have capability to pump fluid

using screwdriver. Be prepared, it might be messy - this fluid splashing around.

Make your life easy and get one of these. You can get them at any auto parts place or sears. I believe they come with instructions.

brake_bleed_tool.jpg

Thats neat.....gonna have to tell my friend

matt

Those help but it needs a good seal and you can not back the fitting out much or it will suck air @ the threads.

I have one and I still had to do the ole pump and fill routine. Maybe b/c the master cyl was not letting the fluid flow to the rear.

My one man show used a large screw driver which I would use to pump the cylinder per the manual and hold it in via the ground. Mine m/c has a slot for that so you don't have to push against the spring.

You can also use a small mason jar or empty water bottle, a bit of hose that goes down into the fluid. That way if the m/c tries to suck any fluid back up it will not get air.