Futzin'

220 SSi Club

Hey Everyone. First newbie post. Considering buying a 2004 220 ssi with the walk through transom, 5.7 Gi VP/SX. This would be my first boat - though I'm not without boating experience. Is this "too much boat" for a first boat? I'm wondering about handling, docking, maneuvering, maintaining, etc. The other boat I'm considering is a 2006 Regal 1900 - much shorter, but just about as wide, with a 4.3 GXi VP/Sx. I've read "buy your second boat first" and "two foot-itis", but I've also read "start small" even if it's just for a year to learn. Seems like they are both great boats. I think the 220 would be great when the kids get bigger, but the 1900 is really all we "need" right now. Any words of biased or unbiased wisdom from the 220 crew?

No unbias here! Love my boat. It's funny though, no matter how big your boat is, you always find a bunch of people to fill it up! I'd say the difference in negotiating a 19 vs a 22 in docking and tricky situations would be negligible. If my vote counts, I say 220. Both very nice boats though.

My 220 is my first boat. I don't think it's been any tougher to learn than a 19'. If anything, it's been easier because it's not underpowered and is very stable since it is a bit heavier. With things the way they are, I'm not sure I would consider buying a 19' to learn on just to try to sell it in 2 years. Odds are it's gonna still be a tough time to sell. Since now is a good time to buy, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 220. I truly think it's the perfect size family weekender. When folks say to start small, I would say that starting off with a 30' boat might be a bit much, but not a 22'.

+1 on a 220 being my first boat. I was looking at 20' sportboats but came across a great deal on the 220. She is heavier than the Regal so depending on what you have now as a tow vehicle, you may need to upgrade. Another thing to consider regarding towing. Along with making sure your vehicle has ample hauling capacity, check the rating on your ball mount. I used a typical class III mount that I noticed had a slight bend after a few hauls. I checked the rating and saw it was 6,000#. I went to my local RV dealer and bought a solid shank mount rated to 12,000#. They aren't cheap but either would be any deductible or worse if it failed.

I was considering both Regal and Chaps and even had the chance to take the Regal factory tour and spend some quality time in their showroom. Regal makes very nice boats. I'd bet you'd be pleased with one but I have found the finish and materials used in my 220 to be a notch higher.

I love mine so far and am enjoying my first summer with her. Just take it slow and enjoy.

Thanks for the comments. Tow vehicle is a 4wd Suburban LTZ (has the autoride air suspension) and we have an Equalizer hitch. So we're good to go there. Similar story had been checking out 19-20' boats like the 200, Montereys, and the Regal when this 220 popped up. The Regal is in the best condition visually and maintenance history/records. The 220 has wife's support and cost is about $5K more than the Regal. I'm going to check out the 220 again today and make the call. Any other comments would be great.

Add me. 2006 220 ssi 5.7 gxi. 320 hp. 575 hr. mostly on lake powell. going next week. not sure how to post pic.

mark

2010 dodge 3500 cummins tow truck.

Add me. 2006 220 ssi 5.7 gxi. 320 hp. 575 hr. mostly on lake powell. going next week. not sure how to post pic.

mark

2010 dodge 3500 cummins tow truck.

Mark,

Consider this your personal invitation to join us at the Chaparral raft-up at Lake Powell, Aug 5-7. Check out the WACRU pinned thread.

Roy, Don't you have the photobucket app yet?

Makes up loads easy. :) Although getting them to the correct folder can be tricky. :/

Roy, Don't you have the photobucket app yet?

Makes up loads easy. :) Although getting them to the correct folder can be tricky. :/

No, I don't but thanks for letting me know its availability. Question though - is something not posting okay? Thanks

I'm taking a sea trial in that 2004 220 ssi with a VP 5.7 Gi/SX - one step closer to joining this club. Is there anything specific that I should be looking out for that might be an issue with a 220 (other than usual sea trial stuff)? I did notice when we started it in the driveway (on ears) that the throttle seemed a little stiff. Also, does anyone know max RPM at WOT for this combination? Thanks.

Took the boat for a sea trial today. Really impressive. Rock solid hull and nice performance for a pretty big boat. Was a little surprised by the amount of bow rise and also the speed to plane - guess i was hoping for a little slower plane speed. Needed high teens to maybe 20 for a consistent plane. Cockpit space and layout was really perfect for anything short of a deck boat. Really impressive boat. Might be an owner as soon as this week. :D

The smart tabs all but eliminated my bow rise. That was one of my least favorite things about the boat. I think I fall off of plane now around 15 or so with the tabs, but I can't remember right now.

The throttle tension can be adjusted if that's all the issue is. Mine was extremely loose when I bought it and had to have the dealer tighten it up. Simple job. Not sure on your recommended max rpm, but for my 5.0 GXi-E it's 4800 IIRC.

Good luck on the transaction!

2nd the recommendation for Smart Tabs; greatly reduces bow rise, lowers planning speed, inmproves ride on rough water. And I'm pretty sure WOT is 4600 to 5000rpm.

Are the smart tabs the plastic/synthetic SX versions that you're talking about? And how do they compare to the simple Stingray hydrofoils that you put on the outdrive?

Yes they are. Works great here in the salt water. Not sure on the comparison, but as I understand it, you'll never get your motor trimmed up with the hydrofoil because the swim platform is in the way. I'll let someone smarter than me answer about the foil's performance.

Thanks for the replies. It seems odd to me that a boat design would almost "require" the addition of an aftermarket piece to address a behavior like this. Why wouldn't the tabs be at least an option from the factory? Is there downside to the tabs? I'll do some more research just to get educated, but any comments or links to other information on the topic would be great.

I also think there's a bit too much bow rise with this boat. However I no longer even notice. The 220 is fantastic; entering my 6th season with it and still completely love it!

We waterski and wakeboard a lot and I wonder how tabs would affect the wake characteristics of the boat. Haven't ever really heard from someone that has them and 'boards, I don't think. The 220 make a really nice wake for 'boarding, BTW.

#$^% of a nice boat.

Yeah, I was super impressed with the boat on my test ride. As odd as it might sound, I'm really looking for better slow speed performance (primarily a lower plane speed) for simply cruising with the kids - we're on a smallish lake with a 30 MPH speed limit. Pretty eager to get the purchase done. Which model smart tabs are you guys using? I looked at the application chart on the Nauticus website and it doesn't show one for 22' and more than 240 hp.

So I was hoping someone here could help me out. I am having a problem with my trim. I can trim up fine from both controls but I cannot trim down from the throttle control. Any ideas on what this could be and what to check for? Thanks.

Just to clarify. Trim works for up and down on the buttons on the back of the boat but the trim down does not work from my shifter.

Probably a bad switch on your throttle. Try taking it apart and cleaning the contacts if able, otherwise probably need a new switch.

Agree since they both use the same relays. :) so that means the working components are all good. Although it could be a loose connection at the harness connector.

I will join the fray......

2001 (bought new) 350 5.7 Volvo, Boss Tower, Infinity sound, Corsa and probably the nicest trailer I have seen up until about 2-3 yrs ago. No pics of it on trailer.

June07016.jpg

Welcome aboard. Where are you boating because the background is magnificent? Keep active on the board. I have found the 220 owners the highest caliber of Chap owners. :thththsoapbox2-1:

Good people. The rest are okay too.