Sign in to follow this  
mecrens

Sunesta 233 Purchase

I've been looking to purchase a LATE 90'a to early 2000's deck boat such as the Sunesta 233. Overall I have been very impressed with what I have seen and read about Sunestas. I did have a chance to get in and take a short drive in a 2000.

Right now my preferences are 233 slight edge over 232.

Trying to keep total boat/motor/trailer weight from exceeding 5000k pounds by much.

I would appreciate any comments / suggestions regarding the 233/232 Sunestas, especally the opionions on power and outdrives. For those that have purchased something similar to a 233/232, what other brands did you condider.

I noticed there seemed to be a +/- 20% price increase from a 1999/2000 model to a 2000 year model. Did anything significant change in those years.

And lastly how accurate have the NADA guides been for purchase prices of these boats.

Thanks in advance.

ps. i went to look at 2 last Saturday. One sold just as we were walking in the door, the other sold withing a few minutes of us deciding it was one to get.

NADA pricing is just a ball park. When I was shopping for this boat my pricing guide was the average of what was selling at the time on the various boat sales sites.

Well if your come across another at the same price jump on it.

welcome to the group.... :oregonian_winesmiley:

have fun shopping.

matt

welcome to the forum. I love my 233, can't wait to get her back out. I picked it up early last summer, drove about 6 hours to make the deal. it has alpha one 5.7L carb., new mercury high five 21P, does 47 on GPS.

nada guides do not include the value of the trailer - you'll have to do it separate. do a web search for the year and model you want, should get some results. Good luck.

FWIW, my brother-in-law has a Sunesta 223 with 5.0/Alpha 1 and they really like it. Family of five with frequent guests. Power is sufficient for that boat, IMO (but 5.7 would be better :) ).

I have an 06 232 with a 5.0 and a bravo 3...we love the boat. Big enough but not too big..i think the bravo adds to the handling and performance. Full of gas with 4 people i can go 50 which i think is plenty fast. Lots of storage..we can jam that boat full of all our stuff and still not have anything loose in the boat. i prefer the 232 as it does not have a windshield...i can actually sit down and drive the boat...every boat i ever owned before this one i either had to raise up or hunch over to see either over or under the windshield. The bimini top is massive which is a good thing. I searched for quite some time for this exact boat and im pleased with it.

However...and there always is a however...i just had an air void pop on the deck..its about the size of a nickel...emailed Robin and Dan at chaparral to see if they would cover it under warranty and they denied it...they would not even go 50/50 on the repair..per my dealer air voids are common and a mfg defect but since im the 2nd owner chaparral would not even meet me half way...i still love the boat but im really disappointed in how they are supporting the product.

I LOVE THE MY 232. I chose it because of the lack of windshield. I feel as if everyone in the boat can be included in a conversation. The windshield would be prefered by the admiral(keeps the cool air off her in the cooler months). Overall I can not find any fauls. I would buy another one in a hearbeat. The one thing that I would look for this time would be the EFI instead of my carb. But having the card has not affected our enjoyment one bit, Good Luck. Welcome.

Would recommend EFI power with Bravo 3 or Duo-Prop drive vs. single prop drive. Better fuel economy, and more docking control. Also, I highly recommend finding or adding an extended swim platform for safety and convenience. Good luck in your search.

I LOVE THE MY 232. I chose it because of the lack of windshield. I feel as if everyone in the boat can be included in a conversation. The windshield would be prefered by the admiral(keeps the cool air off her in the cooler months). Overall I can not find any fauls. I would buy another one in a hearbeat. The one thing that I would look for this time would be the EFI instead of my carb. But having the card has not affected our enjoyment one bit, Good Luck. Welcome.

im with you on the lack of windshield..the boat feels bigger to me as a result

Would recommend EFI power with Bravo 3 or Duo-Prop drive vs. single prop drive. Better fuel economy, and more docking control. Also, I highly recommend finding or adding an extended swim platform for safety and convenience. Good luck in your search.

Shep makes a good point for the extended platform, however I combated this with adding carpet(for the time being) to aid in slipping. But the platform is the way to go. I have to admit I do not suffer from MPG issues nor docking by having just the single prop. This is all relative to personal prefernce too. Either way you can not go wrong with the sunesta. What ever you prefer or makes you happy is the way to go. I do wish I had, as I said the EFI. But my current setup makes me happy and I enjoy it and I am on the water with a CHAP!!!!!!!!!!!! go get one....... :thsmilie_water_119-1::beer-7687-1::boating: