SteveU2

Acid Wash

8 posts in this topic

I've been told to use Muriatic acid to get all of the oxidation and old wax off my boat. I tried the 3m compound that worked well in sports but just had little effect in real bad spots. Tomorrow I will finally have time to get A LOT of stuff done. My box of goodies from Volvo just arrived but I'm also going to try to refresh my hull. I've read a lot of posts on how to use the acid wash (I actually bought commercial toilet bowl cleaner. After I do the wash, should I then go back to the compound? or skip the compound and go to the Finesse-It II and then wax, or just acid wash and then wax?

Thanks

Still a first timer until I splash her again April 8th

Steve

I have never heard of using any type of acid wash on gel coat to remove oxidation. Even using acetone to remove "dock rash" can be harsh unless it is washed off immediately. I don't think I would use muratic acid.

Oxidation is usually removed by using buffing compounds with an buffer. If the 3M compound is not working, you may have to go to a more aggressive compound to remove the oxidation. Just make sure than when you are buffing out the oxidation, start with the most aggressive compound first, and make sure that you don't buff through the gel coat. Follow up with a fine buffing compound, then wax and polish. These steps will usually remove the oxidation and restore the gel coat shine.

If I remember correct Duane2135 (he is a member here) has a good solution without buffing and very easy and good result.Ask him if you want before continue.Unfortunately I cannot find the product he used to shine his boat and clean from oxidation.

people have been using muratic (hydrochloric) acid for years to clean there boat scum off, paint it on with a roller or paint brush, don't let it come in contact with anything else, wear proper PPE's and your fine.

http://www.crcindust.../msds/62032.pdf

Me personally, I prefer Slimey Grimey.

http://www.slimygrimy.com/

only way to remove the white oxidation is elbow grease, sometimes wet sanding,rubbing compound,a good polish then a wax. do a Google search, plenty of good info out there.

I used to clean my previous boat with muriatic acid about every 3 years. I would wet down the boat then apply a diluted acid mix with a spray bottle or garden sprayer, hit it quick with a brush and rinse really well. The acid wash made quick work of chemical and water stains but won't help for oxidation. You would want to wet the trailer down good and make sure you rinse it really well. Today I think there are better and safer products, I've heard good things about slimey grimey.

We trailer our boat and find it helps tremendously to prevent buildup if we wipe it down while its still in the water before we load up. Could also do a quick wipe down at the ramp if the launch is not too busy. If we leave it till we get home it's a whole bigger project to clean it off. I do wax the bottom of the boat each fall before I put it away for the winter which helps.

Norb

I have never heard of using any type of acid wash on gel coat to remove oxidation. Even using acetone to remove "dock rash" can be harsh unless it is washed off immediately. I don't think I would use muratic acid.

Oxidation is usually removed by using buffing compounds with an buffer. If the 3M compound is not working, you may have to go to a more aggressive compound to remove the oxidation. Just make sure than when you are buffing out the oxidation, start with the most aggressive compound first, and make sure that you don't buff through the gel coat. Follow up with a fine buffing compound, then wax and polish. These steps will usually remove the oxidation and restore the gel coat shine.

I have always used compound and not acid. I would start with the finest compound first. No need to remove more gel coat then necessary. I have heard of acid wash for removing bottom scum and bottom paint but not for the decks, gunales, or hull sides above the water line. I may have to look into this and give it a try......

Myself, I use CLR (sparingly) to remove stubborn lime and calcium spots. But I primarily use it in the back of the boat where it gets a lot of steam and mist from running all day and from the Captn's Call exhaust. I'm not sure what the CLR does to my my wax, it may actually strip the wax which is why I use is sparingly, but I have a friend with a 20 year old boat that swears by it, but he keeps his boat in his garage, so oxidation due to sunlight isn't an issue. I agree with most here, if you wipe it while wet, it's a lot easier than doing it later.

In the Spring, I will polish area's that seem faded or oxidized, then follow up with a nice coat of wax.

MARYKATE On and Off Gel Hull & Bottom Cleaner is the best - it is thick and doesn't drip on your trailer.

MKT3532.jpg