Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rgtet

Horsepower and Torque Curves

4 posts in this topic

Is anyone aware of any published literature showing the horsepower and torque curves on Volvo-Penta engines? I have an 8.1L and was curious to see the HP vs. RPM for my boat. I would suspect that the VP and Merc curves are relatively similar, so I'd even be happy seeing a Merc data product. Thanks for your help.

CK beat me to it. . . I had actual dyno printouts from Mercruiser Mag and HO versions somewhere on my computer but can't seem to locate them now. If memory serves, the dyno showed the MAG to top out a bit higher than the GM spec, about 411HP crank, or about 381HP at the prop (Merc rated at 405 and 375 respectively) and the HO in the 453HP crank, 423HP prop (Merc rated at 455 and 425 respectively) with torque numbers similarly variant from the published specs. I haven't ever seen a dyno on any of the Volvo products but according to Volvo's own data their standard 8.1 (Gi, US version) is rated the same as Merc rates their MAG and Volvos hi-perf (GXi) is rated slightly less than Mercs HO. How close they come to these numbers in actual production units is the unknown variable.

JC