Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jason2130

water temp for watersports without wet suit

27 posts in this topic

Ok guys.. I am getting a little anxious to take out our new to us 2130 Chap and get the kids in the water.. What is the coldest water temp you have had been in that is acceptable? I am in St louis and wondering if there are any lakes south of me that would warm up quicker due to the southern location. What are they and how far away? Thanks

Temp is personal.... we do the polar bear swim up her on New Years.... not gonna lie... its fricken freezing.... when we had our wakeboard boat we were boarding in April... but I was wearing 2 wetsuits...

The hubby IS a polar bear... so he's SWIMING (without wetsuit) in April....

I guess what ever the kids are willing to get into... but if they do go in and its really cold... keep your eyes peeled for hypothermia...

Have fun :)

You are a brave soul Jason. I open our pool in mid May when the water temp is 70 and the younger kids do a quick in and out and then it just sits until it warms up to at least 75. None of them will go near it until it warms up or I turn on the heater. I myself wait until it gets to at least 78, so I can't even begin to think about how cold it will be for your kids who will be wet and getting pulled behind the boat. Be very mindful of hypothermia, make them wear their PFD's and have lots of towels on the boat to dry and get them warm again. Might even carry a thermos of hot chocolate for them. Enjoy! Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

You are a brave soul Jason. I open our pool in mid May when the water temp is 70 and the younger kids do a quick in and out and then it just sits until it warms up to at least 75. None of them will go near it until it warms up or I turn on the heater. I myself wait until it gets to at least 78, so I can't even begin to think about how cold it will be for your kids who will be wet and getting pulled behind the boat. Be very mindful of hypothermia, make them wear their PFD's and have lots of towels on the boat to dry and get them warm again. Might even carry a thermos of hot chocolate for them. Enjoy! Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I would not let them go out now. I was hoping I could tow south and find warmer water.. It looks like I am six weeks away

Lowest temperature for water sports (skiing/wakeboarding) in my scale are:

72F without wetsuite

68F shorty wetsuite

59F full wetsuite with sealed seams + hood.

These temperatures will be higher in windy cloudy days or beginners who is trying to start from water.

My 16yo son's scale is more aggressive.

Cup of hot chocolate after getting back to beat from water helps a lot.

Temperature for tubing would be higher as well.

Come on up north and join us! Some of us are even getting our colour back from the last outing.

We're ready to go, just need a skier. I'll take care of driving duties until around Canada Day thanks - only because I'm more familiar with the area!

1000 Islands Lake Fleet water ski club. NOTE: The wax used on the skis has to be of the proper type and applied correctly. Those with a low pain threshold need not apply. Shorts and a positive attitude are mandatory, but toque, gloves, Mustang Survival Suit, flak jacket, etc. are recommended. Beginners welcome. See you out there!!

Readyforskiing.jpg

The tow boat is not a Chap; ice peels gel coat like an orange. Aluminum runabout aka Brent's Party Boat.

Come on up north and join us! Some of us are even getting our colour back from the last outing.

We're ready to go, just need a skier. I'll take care of driving duties until around Canada Day thanks - only because I'm more familiar with the area!

1000 Islands Lake Fleet water ski club. NOTE: The wax used on the skis has to be of the proper type and applied correctly. Those with a low pain threshold need not apply. Shorts and a positive attitude are mandatory, but toque, gloves, Mustang Survival Suit, flak jacket, etc. are recommended. Beginners welcome. See you out there!!

Readyforskiing.jpg

The tow boat is not a Chap; ice peels gel coat like an orange. Aluminum runabout aka Brent's Party Boat.

Think I'll pass Shep, but thanks for the offer.

Readyforskiing.jpg

-20C = -4F

I like start from ice:)

One Finnish guy told me about uniqueness of surfing in Finnland:

On the morning you need to beat your wetsuite with wooden stud to break ice before putting it on...

For me 68 or lower is painful after a min or so. It usually takes until June for the lake to reach low 70 s . I jump in to pull the stern anchor last year and my dash gauge said 61 in mid May, instant shrinkage

For me...If water is below 82 degrees....I remain in boat :)

Seriously, if the water is not 70+, I don't let my family in. We do not have wet suits, etc. so to avoid problems, we follow those rules.

Seriously, if the water is not 70+, I don't let my family in. We do not have wet suits, etc. so to avoid problems, we follow those rules.

If us up north had to wait for the water to get to 82+ I would launch maybe by August. Water usually never gets above 78 on Lake Mich depending on the currents, I am jealous and do what I gotta do.

If us up north had to wait for the water to get to 82+ I would launch maybe by August. Water usually never gets above 78 on Lake Mich depending on the currents, I am jealous and do what I gotta do.

Everithing is changing. I grew up in Moscow, Russia, long winter with temperatures -5F or less were OK. Now I'm suffering from +40F and short Pennsylvania winters...

We just got back from a week in Lake Havasu, our spring break trip. Air temps got into the high 70's with the water in the 60-62 degree range. Just needed the a 3/2 shorty. The initial jump was a bit cold but was in the water for over 30 minutes with no ill effects. heading back in two week hopefully with much warmer air temps.

Lake Michigan is about 34 degrees right now, June about 45. By September it is usually mid 60's. We have wet suits. A lot depends on how good you are. If your able to get up and out of the water fast enough it's not so bad. I see people wind surfing as soon as the ice clears, but they have dry suits on.

I kinda agree with Native AZ.........it get's pretty warm in our lakes pretty quickly.....so I'll wait for the water to get into the mid-upper 70's........trouble with Mead & Powell are that they are so large, that early in the year the top 18" or so warms up, but three feet down it's still in the 60's......and at 230lbs I tend to go down further than 18" when jumping in to "cool off"...........loose trucks means shrinkage is not noticed.....haha-7383.gifhaha-7383.gif

Ok guys.. I am getting a little anxious to take out our new to us 2130 Chap and get the kids in the water.. What is the coldest water temp you have had been in that is acceptable? I am in St louis and wondering if there are any lakes south of me that would warm up quicker due to the southern location. What are they and how far away? Thanks

I can water ski in SC in Feb without a wet suit if the air temp is above 70 degrees. The water is about 55 degrees. Of course, I already have all the kids I want.

I definitely know how you feel about being anxious to get the boat out on the water and start playing. Word of caution, like CALNC hinted at, just because the top layer of water might be do-able and seem warm enough to just jump in, don't be so sure. The majority of drownings occur here in GA between February and early April, as told to me by a Police Diver. The reason for this is that the weather starts teasing us with sunny skies and temps in the 70's-80's and people start making their way to the lakes. They get out on the water and test the water with their feet and think its fine and warm enough for them to jump in or start waterskiing/wakeboarding. Well what they don't realize is that it may be warm enough on the surface, but a few feet down its considerably colder. When you aren't expecting that, you hit that water and submerge yourself in to the colder layer and it shocks you to wear you do that quick inhale, like a gasp, and thus you inhale water and never come back up. And or you subconciously "freeze" and your lungs tighten up and panic. Does this mean its going to happen to you or your kids, not necessarily, just something to think about. I remember this time last year of a teenager who went off a waterslide from a House Boat, that was docked, and never came back up. Divers recovered him and ruled it a drowning, most likely from what I mentioned. But when you do finally get in, have fun and enjoy but be safe!! :thl_speedboat:

I have been thinking about this topic while anxiously waiting for spring...We had our boat our on Saturday, the sun came out, and the water was like GLASS. I had to get back on the wakeboard! I have a full body rash gaurd and a shorty wet suit. 54 degree F was pretty cold but once I was on the board out of the water it wasnt too bad.... however I caught an edge and hit the water fast. Seriously I thought I was gonna have a heart attack! When the water hit my face it was like getting smacked with a bat! I am gonna buy either a dry suit or a fully sealed wet suit.. I'm too old for that!

The temp for watersports is DIRECTLY proportional to your AGE... I used to be wakeboarding April 1 (wetsuit of course).. now I am happy to wait till end of May and even then only for watter thats glass...

Man you guys are making me feel like a real wimp, last weekend the water temp dropped a bit due to the previous weeks weather and it took me a couple beers too tolerate it and it was 76! In my defense it was a little windy though.

We are good to go this weekend......I think they should be getting close to 80

:beer-7687-1: