Futzin'

Forgotten Drain Plug?

Drain Plug Mishaps?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever forgotten to install the drain plug?

After reading a thread on a motorcycle forum about people's bike's tipping over (usually from a brain freeze of some sort), I was put in mind of a similar malady that all-too-often befalls many of us as new boaters: forgetting to put in the drain plug before launching.

For my part, I've never forgotten to install it, but I did make a related mistake which led to the same end result . . . no plug. With our first boat (and still today), it was my wife's job to install the drain plug (snap-type). She had mentioned that the plug was 'loose', which I did not take seriously enough. I did not know at the time that the tension was adjustable for that type of plug. Well, the thing fell out shortly after launching, but not realized until the engine began to sputter and there was water aplenty inside the boat. Totally my fault of course. The story has a happy enough ending.

So 'fess up: have you ever forgotten to install the drain plug (or had one fall out :blush: )?

We forgot to put the plug in my father-in-law's boat the first/only time we borrowed it. I launched the boat by myself, and my Wife and friends stayed at the ramp to park the truck. I was idling around waiting on them when I saw my bride running to the dock. I instantly realized what she was worried about, so I got the boat up on plane while waiting for them to back the trailer into the water. We loaded the boat and drained the water, and after that we had a great day on the water. There was not that much water in the boat, but I was lucky that it was an outboard. That was my lesson learned, and have never "let" it happen since.

After reading a thread on a motorcycle forum about people's bike's tipping over (usually from a brain freeze of some sort), I was put in mind of a similar malady that all-too-often befalls many of us as new boaters: forgetting to put in the drain plug before launching.

For my part, I've never forgotten to install it, but I did make a related mistake which led to the same end result . . . no plug. With our first boat (and still today), it was my wife's job to install the drain plug (snap-type). She had mentioned that the plug was 'loose', which I did not take seriously enough. I did not know at the time that the tension was adjustable for that type of plug. Well, the thing fell out shortly after launching, but not realized until the engine began to sputter and there was water aplenty inside the boat. Totally my fault of course. The story has a happy enough ending.

So 'fess up: have you ever forgotten to install the drain plug (or had one fall out :blush: )?

I can honestly say I have never forgotten the plug, however I have been known to FORGET THE !@##!@$!@#$ KEY!!!!!! Only realizing it AFTER I'm half way up the ramp to the parking lot. :slap:

Once upon a time many moons ago, I also experienced that dropped bike feeling, coming home @ 3 am stop light middle of no where I stop....... woah!!! Forgot I was on 2 wheels :slap::beer-7687-1:

I forgot after a 1800 mile round trip with our boat, I had not put the plug in after the last outing. Totally slipped my mind that it was out. When we launch I drive the truck and the admiral drives the boat off the trailer to the dock. When I was walking to the dock I noticed a steady stream of water coming from the side of the boat.. my "oh @#$t!" moment. Luckily there was no one at the dock so it was simple work to drive back on the trailer and pull out, which is when I found both the plug and the ratchet extension and socket in the rear cooler. Fortunately no damage except to my pride!

Have never done it but watched a boat sink at the ramp once, the plug was laying on the floor. (It was a Bayliner, looked like newbie boaters) :haha-7383:

In my ole bass boat. Learned my lesson then. It was still on the trailer so just pulled back up.

so far not drain plug.....But.....left the 3'' inspection cover off my jet boat....sank on the trailer.....ran good latter.......

Never!

Of course, I have forgotten to release the two aft tie down straps. 2. I have forgotten to unhook the winch hook. 3. I have forgotten to move the battery switch to the own position when I turned the blower on, and 4. I have forgotten to say please or thank to the Admiral when she thought she was doing something to assist me (x25).

Otherwise, I am puurfect.

Back when I was a kid, my grandfather had a 19' sea-swirl. He did forget once. We beached it on the ramp (softly) and dropped the outdrive, then got in the water and got it installed. He had already left to park, and there was no way to get his attention to get him back with the trailer. That helped to burn it into my head to always double check, and so far the only thing I've ever forgot is to bring the keys...after making an hour and a half trip to the lake

WE forgot to close the garage door while on a boating trip once. We left for the day, and we didn't realize that we had left the garage door open until we were about 10 minutes away from getting back to the house. :thmadslap-1:

Only happened once and on my first boat. Had just bought my second boat was going out for the first time. Daughter and SIL towed the old one to the ramp as backup in case the new one had a problem. They launched and tied up to the dock. When I launched I saw the old boat was taking on water, jumped in and took it out to self bail. Has never happened again.

I did have the oposit happen this past fall. Brought the Chapp. home from the river and on the way topped off the tank at a gas station. My wife asked if I had pulled the plug and I told her I would get it when we got home. This was right before deer season, the weather was nice and I had family coming to hunt my farm. We had 3" of rain the first week of deer season and I did not have the winter cover on. After the family went home the weather got cold so I went to finish winterizing and get it covered. Went down into the cabin and had 1" of ice on the cabin floor that had backed up from the bilge. The bilge was also frozen with ice up to the bottom of the engine. We did get the water and ice out thanks to a warm up and a heat gun. This was a major PITA and will never happen again!

The worst part of the whole thing was I got the "I told you to pull the plug" from my wife.

I prefer to view it as a bouyancy test and bilge pump test....followed by a crew emergency readiness drill

:funny-7327:

[i had not put the plug in after the last outing. Totally slipped my mind that it was out. When we launch I drive the truck and the admiral drives the boat off the trailer to the dock. When I was walking to the dock I noticed a steady stream of water coming from the side of the boat.. my "oh @#$t!" moment. Luckily there was no one at the dock so it was simple work to drive back on the trailer and pull out, which is when I found both the plug and the ratchet extension and socket in the rear cooler. Fortunately no damage except to my pride! /quote]

+1

had rained the previous days and had the plug out to allow water to drain while on the trailer. :unsure:

:tofunny:

Personally never have done it. The admiral says I'm too organized... We did watch our Provincial Police launch their boat a few years ago. It didn't take long for the operator to yell for the driver to put the trailer back into the water, didn't make it, to the bottom in 9' of water it went.

Did it once 30 years ago (#%^$&%$ I'm old). It was a 16ft with an outboard so I drove around and it self-bailed, then put the plug in. Darn thing was in my pocket so I would not forget it.

Have not forgot the keys, but one time I took the 2 portable gas tanks out of the boat to the gas station to fill them up, went inside to pay, and then left them there. Didn't notice until I was at the lake 30 minutes later.

Yep I have done this only once also. Was in my first boat, a ancient ugly Bayliner, but I got it dirt cheap at the time.

Actually got about a half mile down this river and noticed I was a lot closer the the water line and the ski locker was bubbling out water. Was too far to turn back so hit the bilge pump jumped in the alligator infested water and put the plug in. After pumping for about a half hour and drying some pieces, started right up and I was gone at my blazing top speed of 29 mph. :rolleyes: Glad that thing is gone.

to bad he did not just take off. the suction will pull a lot of water out. :)

Junior member, didn't know what to do.

Watched a guy launch is Ranger yesterday, drive it to the dock, pulled and parked his truck was walking towards me with his hands in his pocket, I reached out to shake his hand, he pulled out the boat plug from his jacket :o . I backed his truck in while he went to his boat, you'd never know the plug was out...

Not quite the same thing, but many years ago, step father had a wooden Penn-Yann lap-strake. Decided to keep it in heated garage all winter and refinish the hull. Didn't want the caulking to "mess up the pretty finish on the hull", so he caulked it from the inside. Jump ahead to early spring, he rolls his pretty, newly refinished boat out of the garage, pulls her down to the launch ramp and rolls her in. Mom is standing there holding bow line while truck is getting parked and feels tugging on line. Yup, boat is sinking. Since wood was all shrunk up from being in dry / heated garage, water pressure popped caulking out and was taking on water like the Titanic. He runs up, backs truck in and loads boat on, bringing it home, hoping no one noticed. But it was kind of hard to miss a boat being towed that looked like a decorative fountain going down the road, water squirting from every seam. Back to recaulking FROM OUTSIDE and adding water to boat to swell up the wood. After a month or repairs, re-launced and it floated like a cork. Pretty Funny.... This is why I like FIBERGLASS boats for that very reason.......

I have never forgotten to put the plug in, but I have forgotten to raise the stern drive before pulling the just trailered boat out of the water. It is when the marine equivalent of fingers-on-the-chalkboard occurs, that I am thankful for the transom-mounted trim switch.

I have not yet!! The other dat we were about to put in, and remembered that i didn't even bring it with me. I have a routine and check list that i go over in my head. We had the sunesta hook up to my buddies truck and left the plug in my tool box in side my truck at the house. Luckyly the good ole' 496 has a spare plug attached to the oil drain hose. Boy that almost ruined the day. Seeing that my truck was over 2 hours away. I know I can always got to the closest boat place and get one.

I can honestly say no. My friend goes boating with me and he bugs me about putting it in. I do always forget the beers though. :beer-7687-1::notworthy:

We left the drain plug out of our old boat when we launched at the coast. Thankfully we had a moron attampting to trailer behind us which cause a delay if launching. When I put the boat on reverse and the boat did not move we knew something was up. Amazing how fast a boat can fill with water.

We also did the outboard down while taking the boat out of the water move. We put hustling to move the boat off the ramp before ensuring the boat was ready to move from the ramp. First and last time.

This is only my second year with a boat. Last year I bought a 17 ft. bowrider on craig's list. Figured I was close to the water and wanted to give boating a try. I have a house at the Jersey shore that is a block or so from the marina, so I just trailered the boat to the marina when I wanted to use it. Thankfully, there was never much traffic at the marina, so I could go slow and take my time. After I was done, I pulled the boat out of the water, I always pulled the plug out and put it in the same place on the top of the rear ladder of the boat. This way I would see it and never forget to put it back in prior to launching. Well, for some reason, my wife decided the glove box was a much better place to store the plug. So, the next time I dropped the boat in I did not even think about the plug. Backed the boat in, tied her up, and parked my truck and trailer. Took a casual stroll back to the boat, probaby dreaming of all of the huge doormat sized flounder that I was going to catch that day. I get to the boat and notice that the carpet looks a lot darker then I remember. Then, I panic, realizing what is happening. Fortunately I kept a spare plug in my boat bag. Grabbed the plug, jumped in the water and stopped the flooding. Took about 1/2 hour to empty the boat.

Had so much fun that I put bought a Chaparral 210 SS this year. Put the old boat on craig's list. The person I bought it from called me the same day. Sold it back to her for $500 more then I paid.

LOVE the new boat!

Kevin