Futzin'

Forgotten Drain Plug?

Drain Plug Mishaps?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever forgotten to install the drain plug?

My first boat was a 14ft tinny. Was backing it into the water at a resort one day and before I got out of the car I remembered the plug. Pulled out and let it drain, no drama. Always check the plug in the driveway now before I leave, try not to be in a hurry.

I forgot once. Launched, Admiral in the boat with baby in hand. I went to put the truck up. Came back asked "you put the plug in right?" She gives me the look :mellow: I think she is messing with me so I pop the hatch, engine bay 1/2 full and filling fast, flip on the bilge pump (have no idea why it didnt auto kick on) sprint to the truck and pull the trailer down, load up, pull up and wait....3-4 minutes later insert plug, launch, fun day at the lake. It was actually kind of scary.

I didnt know getting the boat on plane and runnig around would suck the water out, makes sense though.

Seems like an emergency electric slide to cover the hole would be a cool little add on. Wouldnt have to be perfectly water tight just enough to keep the flow down from 100% to say 10%.

There is also a garboard plug that has a little ball in it that closes it off when you leave the plug out. Even saw it at wally world this weekend.

Well...I can honestly say I have not forgetten it however Yesterday was our first launch. I put the plug in when I was preping the boat the day before. Since I'm in AZ there is almost 0% chance of rain 98% of the time. I hope I never have to come back here and say that I did forget!

was out for a few hrs yesterday. as i was stowing the ladder to head back, what do you know...a lonesome drain plug on the transom... <sinking feeling>. i guess it wasn't mine 'cause we would've been underwater a long time ago. on the very same outing, i took a pic... what's going on with the gas cap?

post-8863-1309030000_thumb.jpg

:slap:

I have never forgotten the plug.

BUTT!! Is exactly what I felt like, when I left the dock, planed out and a huge bellow of smoke from the engine compartment and alarms galore! To my pleasant surprise smoke was steam. Other boats were coming to my rescue with fire extinguishers in hand! Whats worse than forgetting to put in the plug?

How about leaving the cups on the out drive?:slap:

That was my stupidest moment! New alpha out drive water pump, fluid changes, and back on the water. At least no permanent damage done except to the ol pride.

I now have to eat my words! We went out this weekend, rented a slip for the night. So we get to the marina and start prepping the boat for launch. Since we are still learning the process and trying to get the Admiral used to driving the boat on and off the trailer (since she doesn't like backing up) I had a friend back us in while I coached her off the trailer and to the slip. Well in the confusion of loading all of the gear on the boat and running into the marina office to pay for the slip I must have missed something. So we get the boat to the slip and get her all tied up and shore power connected so we can sit and have lunch before heading out on the water. While we were hanging out and cooling off with a dip in the water I noticed that not only was there water coming out of the drain for the AC but there was another drain that would come on for a while and then stop. I didn't think much about it at first then we cast off and head over to the pump out dock and while the guy is pumping the tank I see the bilge pump start pumping water out and it hits me........Oh SH*#!!!! I didn't put the plug in. So one of our friends jumps in and feels around to find the plug and screws it the rest of the way in. Thankfully the plug has a piece that hold it in place even when out and when we launched the suction of the water coming into the bilge made the plug go into place to minimize the amount of water coming in. If not for the plug and the bilge pump it could have been a disastrous weekend however it turned out to be a great weekend and lots of fun with friend.

Canyon Lake, AZ

Almost once, the admiral was backing me down and the trailer was just going into the water when I remembered that I didn't put it in and yelled STOP!...jumped out and put it in....I did however, on a very busy dock forget to unstrap it from the trailer tho slap.gif with the park ranger watching me.....ugggh

I did however, on a very busy dock forget to unstrap it from the trailer tho slap.gif with the park ranger watching me.....ugggh

Did you float your trailer? Apparently it can be done ... :)

Not yet. I never leave mine out. If I have water in the boat, I take out the plug to drain it and replace it when it's done.

Lol, no I didn't float the trailer, the ranger alerted me to it right after the wife backed me down into the water...lol

Not yet. I never leave mine out. If I have water in the boat, I take out the plug to drain it and replace it when it's done.

This is my preferred method now, don't take it out unless I have to, then it goes right back in. I still tho, everytime I'm backing it down think "oh crap, is the plug in?"

yep. me too even old heads have bad days, lol turned out i really didn't forget, it was the lame mech that botched the job. i dove in at the dock plug in hand and ratchet, found the hole , hummmm I thought there's a plug here, what gives? by the time the nd bilge pump kicked on, the guys at the ramp,felt sorry for me let me put the trailer back in, and recover my boat. These guys were troopers, they even helped me recover the boat and drive my truck out of the water. All these guys wanted was to go fishing, boy am I glad they were nice about the whole thing. back ground, we had been in line for 45 min to get launched that day so tempers could have gotten away from a lot of folks , but things went well, and I went home.

yes The "I told you so" is the most painfull, but"we" all know she is lol

have a great day

Did it once, but it was my son's problem to fix it. Anyway, jumping in clothes to water from dock is fun, right?

Sad but true story! A fiend of mine has an older1998-99? Chap, that was stored at the marina. Called the marina "put the boat in the water I'm coming down". When he got there the boat was sitting real low in the water, you know the rest of the story missing (plug from lot tech). Marina insurance paid the bill, he signed off on claim. Fast forward 9 years, boat in water go to start it, engine falls off it's supports, wooden braces inclosed with factory fiberglass have just turned to mush! 12K deer later new supports much of the entire transom rebuilt! Cause water damage! Insurance off hook (signed off earlier could have been you bla bla). When I was looking for my new to me Chap, I looked at 12 boats, each time I would open the engine compartment stick my head in and look to the bow! Of the 12, 5 had a water line clearly visible on the bow side. Most were detailed up nicely but didn't go the extra effort to hide the hard to reach tell tail line! Plug not in is a real problem on a fiberglass boat! Lesson learned.. Mine WILL BE IN...!

Never had that problem, I always keep the screw and the wrench on my drivers door pocket. When I open the door it's the first thing I see. When we first started boating (Many, many, many years ago....) I would leave the screw in the ladder hatch, so when I lowered the ladder to get in, I would see the screw. That got me into the habit of remebering things. Just like the Admiral, I made her wear those (Hi , my name is..) patches for the first couple of years of our marriage....

Saul ;)

I made her wear those (Hi , my name is..) patches for the first couple of years of our marriage....

Saul ;)

:yb624:

matt

I always take mine out and just tape it to the steering wheel with orange electrical tape. I have never forgotten it but have seen others many times.

It can be. Depends on how high it got. If the starter was submerged, could be a problem. Check oil and see if it is cloudy, milky looking. Al check dip stick and look for any moisture. Good time to change the oil. Take off the starter, take it apart or to an electric motor rebuild facitly and check it out. If you DIY, take it apart and remove the core. Dry every thing and reassemble. Check with OHM meter for shorts. If none jump it from a battery to see if it works. Assuming OK, reinstall. Hope you have long arms.

AL

Ten Years ago with a pair of new to me jet skis. Never eve occured to me that the ski's were just small boats. Ran for over 5 hours then parked them for the night. Came out the next morning to see them both in three feet of water sitting on the bottom. I got lucky only 300 dear to get them drained and ready for use again.

I have not done the plug, but I have let my bike drop. In college I got lucky and came across a screamin deal on a Kawasaki Jap spec K750SRx. It was a sweet vintage bike. At any rate I was racing to a final, when I realized I forgot my book. I turned around and raced back to the house. I hopped of the bike and ran into the house when I came back outside the bike was idling funny and thats when I notced it was LAYING in the driveway. Man all I could do was yell at myself as I picked up the bike and floored it to school. People must of really thought I needed commited. Flying down the road yelling at myself. At that time I could of been close to crazy. College engineering corses can do that to ya.