Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twotallones

Best Towable - Tube??

14 posts in this topic

What is the best towable for my two boys ages 12 and 9 (160 lbs.).

I am thinking I want a 3 person towable, but am looking for a recommendation that is not only for the towable/tube, but for the combination of the boat and the towable. You know, I don't want to get one that is too big and cumbersome to haul.

Thanks in advance!

I am thinking I want a 3 person towable, but am looking for a recommendation that is not only for the towable/tube, but for the combination of the boat and the towable. You know, I don't want to get one that is too big and cumbersome to haul.

Thanks in advance!

We had the single, a double and triple. We had great luck with the single and triangular 2 man tube. The kids loved the air and the stability. Be carefull of heads banging (on the double) if you put them thru big waves, even at slow speed.

The 3 man was a pain to store, carry to and from the boat, it drags if you don't go fast enough, which the kids like the speed but in reality it wasn't safe. It didn't last 2 summers and unless you have a fast pump, it takes foreever to fill if the air goes down while boating.

Hope this helps. Have fun play safe

My vote is for the Airhead rampage, good up to 250 lbs and stores nicely on the ESP of my 210.

There're way too many tubes, and too many personal preferences to say any particular one is "the best." We got a new two-person Gladiator Thunder last year and we like it a lot better than the old round innner tube shaped towable. Overtons has a package including the tube, a tow rope, an AC inflator, and a mesh storage bag for 250 deer - Overtons Gladiator Thunder

It says NEW on the site and the color/pattern has changed, but otherwise it looks the same as the one I got last year.

It's not too big to store or move around, its rides and tows well, seems well constructed, and the kids love it. The air pump inflates this tube in 45 seconds, although it needs AC power.

med_gallery_6399_177_17533.jpg

My wife and I have also been looking into replacing some of our old and tired towables. davcs's picture reminded me of one thing I would like to avoid, which is ending up with a towable that constantly sends water into the face of the rider(s)....it's really annoying. On one of ours, it's the tow-point that seems to sit too low in the water which causes the steady flow of water. Maybe some people like it, but we, and most of the people (kids and adults) that we've towed, don't like it either.

Something to keep in mind....maybe some folks here would be able to steer us away from towables with that effect.

I too am in the market for a towable.

My ski boat friend has a simple round, flat tube that really gets your face close to the water.

My other deck boat friend has a 3 person tube with seating wells. This is less intense but you get bounced around in rougher water.

I'm considering the Connelly Spitfire. 2 person sit/straddle with stabilizing wings.

Connelly Spitfire

Anyone have experience with it?

There're way too many tubes, and too many personal preferences to say any particular one is "the best."

I so agree with this statement, and I think its good for everyone to share what they like to cut through to a few of the best. The photos posted by this forum's users have been awesome, so keep them coming!

For me, I forgot to mention that I will be on salt water, so limited spray-in-the-face is something I am looking out for now.

Keep the recommendations coming!

Thanks in advance!

Boys that age get the Obrien Super Screamer 2

As far as the spray in the face, I prefer to ride it sitting torwards the rear, facing forward! And the spray is certainly not as bad as in the photo all the time - seems to depend on speed and water conditions.

The tube size also depends on what type of experience the rider wants.

A small round tube you can hook you knee in for those who like a sling shot effect can be very fun.

This one below is a medium sized tube. The young guy one it is around 200#.

CIMG0683.jpg

For a laid back cruise the bigger tubes work well.

Our current big tube I don't have any pics handy. 3 seated in the front one can hang 10 on the rear. Got it as costco.

Here is an old thread with the same tube:

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=12325&view=findpost&p=162098

We have an O'Brien Le Tube (just a round donut). We've had it for 10 years, works great, kids have had a ball on it. Not fancy, not expensive

I like the Molecule......100_2354.jpg

Also makes for a great play island..KYMole_girlsQuary-1.jpg

matt

That thing looks like it would take a lot to flip it.

That thing looks like it would take a lot to flip it.

I've never flipped it.....But it slides fast.........