ROLLTIDE13

wax or vinegar/water (50/50) to polish my boat?

Just purchased my boat and I was speaking to the previous owner, he told me that he didn't use wax to polish the boat, instead he used a water/vinegar solution 50/50 ratio because he didn't want to strip any of the gel coat off. is there any truth to this or should I use wax and which is recommended- ease of application, removal, shine etc.?

Wax does not strip off the gel coat. You need an application of wax/polish to protect the gel coat and prevent the gel coat from oxidizing. The only thing vinegar/water solution will do is strip off the wax, which you don't want to do.

Don't know where the previous owner got that idea......

Wax does not strip off the gel coat. You need an application of wax/polish to protect the gel coat and prevent the gel coat from oxidizing. The only thing vinegar/water solution will do is strip off the wax, which you don't want to do.

Don't know where the previous owner got that idea......

+1 on what Jeff said. You want to apply a good quality wax or polish at least twice a year because it seals the gel coat and fills microscopic pores. Vinegar would remove wax and most likely speed up oxidation of the gel coat.

you guy's ever hear about the Mayonaise thing? Supposedly the oil in the mayo makes the gelcoat real shinny........ I never tried it thinking about the rotten egg smell after it is in the sun awhile.?.

Just purchased my boat and I was speaking to the previous owner, he told me that he didn't use wax to polish the boat, instead he used a water/vinegar solution 50/50 ratio because he didn't want to strip any of the gel coat off. is there any truth to this or should I use wax and which is recommended- ease of application, removal, shine etc.?

Under his breathe his was muttering - war eagle.

Listen to Jeff and RTR!

I would reserve all condiments to boiled eggs and salads. Use only high quality marine grade waxes and cleaning supplies on your boat.

agree with MPM

There is no easy way to keep a boat looking showroom

It takes hard work and pride in your boat.

And Marine grade products

Harry

I boat in Mead and you will get water spots even if you wipe it down ever time. It happen to me the first year w/ the boat brand new. Had it detailed at the end of the first year and detail guy said you to use the vinegar/distilled water solution, 15% vinegar 85% water. Mead has hard water w/ heavy metals in it and the mix has kept it clean and spot free, which can really get baked on in the desert sun. I just wax it once a month during the summer. I was out last weekend and a buddy said just distilled water would work so I will try it and see how it works.

For wiping mine down after use, I use Bass Boat Saver. H2ONUT introduced the product to me and it really works. Easy to use, quick, and leaves a nice finish as well.

Syi

You might want to consider a portable water softener

It really works well for the final rinse and reduces the water spots

You will still need to squeegee of the water

Harry

portable water softener

http://www.watersticks.com/p.htm

Harry

That looks like the water filter that I buy at Walmart for 18 deer. I have used the Walmart filter to rinse my boat after washing and it does dry with less spots.

Mayo? Vinegar?

Sounds like the makings for a salad dressing...... :haha-7383:

There is no replacement for a good marine wax/polish and either a strong pair of arms or a good power buffer.

I also agree that soft water will leave much less water spotting.

I boat in Mead and you will get water spots even if you wipe it down ever time. It happen to me the first year w/ the boat brand new. Had it detailed at the end of the first year and detail guy said you to use the vinegar/distilled water solution, 15% vinegar 85% water. Mead has hard water w/ heavy metals in it and the mix has kept it clean and spot free, which can really get baked on in the desert sun. I just wax it once a month during the summer. I was out last weekend and a buddy said just distilled water would work so I will try it and see how it works.

that solution does work great for a wipe down, it removes the water spots but you should work in an extra wax job as the wax will be removed quicker. I don't like the smell so I use a rough 75% water and 25% simple green. I wipe the boat down and do a quick walk around, any area that has a water spot or dirt ring quick blast and wipe off and good as new.

Can't wait till Sunday I will try some butter and bacon grease after breakfast on board. :D

That should give a nice shine, but you may have a fly problem after that. :P