pitch

How often do you wash your boat?

52 posts in this topic

I'm fortunate in that my marina will place my boat on a rack so that I can wash it anytime I want. As a first time boat owner, though, I'm not sure how often it needs to be washed. We wipe down the interior after every use but how often should I give the exterior a good cleaning?

I typically wash my cars once a week and wax them once a quarter - yes, I'm OCD about my transportation. However, I didn't think a boat needed to be washed on a weekly basis.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Being that the boat is in the water year round, when warm enough it gets washed every week and waxed twice above the rub-rail and sides once a year by the marina. It takes me about 2.5 hours and 3 beers to scrub and dry.

Being that the boat is in the water year round, when warm enough it gets washed every week and waxed twice above the rub-rail and sides once a year by the marina. It takes me about 2.5 hours and 3 beers to scrub and dry.

Since you have about 10ft on me hopefully my wash time will be 1.5 hours, but I'll keep the 3 beer quota. From these replies it sounds like I need to start a washing regimen next week.

Since you have about 10ft on me hopefully my wash time will be 1.5 hours, but I'll keep the 3 beer quota. From these replies it sounds like I need to start a washing regimen next week.

The dock is covered so it makes a great home to birds and spiders. If I don't go and wash it every week in the summer it will look like I haven't been there for months. After it is all cleaned up it usually takes a couple of more to admire my work.

The dock is covered so it makes a great home to birds and spiders. If I don't go and wash it every week in the summer it will look like I haven't been there for months. After it is all cleaned up it usually takes a couple of more to admire my work.

Our dry storage is covered on 3 sides but the back is exposed. They tried to get us in a fully enclosed building but the boat is too wide. We've already experienced lovely bird droppings on our swim platform.

Our dry storage is covered on 3 sides but the back is exposed. They tried to get us in a fully enclosed building but the boat is too wide. We've already experienced lovely bird droppings on our swim platform.

I wipe it down after every use, inside and out, takes 15 minutes or so, a complete major cleaning once at start of season, about midway and at end of season. that is a total scrub down wax, carpet cleaning, bilge cleaning, etc. constant maintenance is actually enjoyable to me, I am OCD, hence my boat's name "Oh Sea D". my rules are no colored beverages (beer doesn't count), I discourage snacks like cheese puffs as it gets on fingers and then everywhere else. that is tough with 3 kids so i usually deal with it as i get the stink eye from the admiral at times

I'm not as anal as 'E', but close.

It gets wiped down after every use(in & out), in the parking lot of the ramp I'm at.

Cleaning solution is: 1oz boat wash, 4oz hull cleaner, in a 32 oz bottle rest water.

Usually takes 20 minutes or so, then covered for the ride home.

It's parked in a barn about 1/2 mile away it gets a total cleaning and wax every fall. That way its ready to go in the spring, all I have to do is charge the batteries, load life jackets and gear. I keep moth ball blocks and damp-rid in it at all times, no bugs no mold.

In the morning its loaded and started in the drive. Recovered and off to the ramp we go I can have it uncovered in the water with the kids in less than 15 minutes. Admiral mans the helm, I back it into the water; then park the rig.

She comes back to get me. Off we go. :thsmilie_water_119-1:

matt

I'm not as anal as 'E', but close.

It gets wiped down after every use(in & out), in the parking lot of the ramp I'm at.

Cleaning solution is: 1oz boat wash, 4oz hull cleaner, in a 32 oz bottle rest water.

Usually takes 20 minutes or so, then covered for the ride home.

It's parked in a barn about 1/2 mile away it gets a total cleaning and wax every fall. That way its ready to go in the spring, all I have to do is charge the batteries, load life jackets and gear. I keep moth ball blocks and damp-rid in it at all times, no bugs no mold.

In the morning its loaded and started in the drive. Recovered and off to the ramp we go I can have it uncovered in the water with the kids in less than 15 minutes. Admiral mans the helm, I back it into the water; then park the rig.

She comes back to get me. Off we go. :thsmilie_water_119-1:

matt

Come on "T" I can see from your pic that you cover your props with a bag, your a bit OCD yourself, I do keep dryer sheets in teh holds year round in place of the moth balls, very similiar procedures. I am probably due for an engine and lower unit alignment, add another $500 deer to the tab at the end of the year.

I hear you on the Cheetos/Doritos. I just tell everyone that they have MSG, so I'm just looking out for their health and not allowing them on the boat. They get everywhere in an instant.

With no rain, it's been incredibly dusty in Central TX, so I've been washing just about every other week, with a rinse/wipe after each trip.

We rinse and wipe our boat down after every outing since we boat in brackish/salt water. We wash the boat every couple of weeks depending on the usage. The hull is washed with boat soap the best we can in the slip and the deck is washed with non-skid deck cleaner.

Once a week whether it needs it or not preferably on Fridays. It takes me about 2 rum and cokes to get it done.

:beer-7687-1:

Once a week whether it needs it or not preferably on Fridays. It takes me about 2 rum and cokes to get it done.

:beer-7687-1:

2 rum and cokes, I think you are ahead of me. I also like to do it on Friday on the way home from work. It really helps me get over the week.

Come on "T" I can see from your pic that you cover your props with a bag, your a bit OCD yourself

Thats to cover the drive for the winter, Don't want to do a "Bill Nance" Gull dang it... :slap:

props still in basement...

matt.

2 rum and cokes, I think you are ahead of me. I also like to do it on Friday on the way home from work. It really helps me get over the week.

I hear you brother. I call it decompression time. :drink-buddy:

I don't know if I have OCD or not, but before getting a place on the lake and a slip, I completely washed the boat after every use. At least once a month from April to October, a full polish & wax, chrome, carpets removed & cleaned, etc. Could not stand it if I had to park it without doing a complete job.

Now that we have a place on the lake with a slip, I have to compensate. So, after every use there is a complete wipe down with the exterior getting a rub with Bass Boat Buddy, and the insides completely wiped down. I now just give her three or four polish & wax jobs a year: in the Spring, before a raft-up, before my annual Powell trip, and before putting her away for the winter.

My Admiral gave up making fun of me years ago. I truly enjoy it. I also enjoy the beer breaks where I just sit and admire the effort and beauty. If that equates to OCD, count me in. 7d83f6ef.jpgd8739ee3.jpgd725e575.jpg5a446d9a.jpg[

Thats to cover the drive for the winter, Don't want to do a "Bill Nance" Gull dang it... :slap:

props still in basement...

matt.

I see, learned something new again.

well lets see, one is 3 beer for 2.5 and one is 2 rum and cokes.. man yall are slack..... :beer-7687-1:

3 beers dont even get me past getting everything ready to wash it....... :drinkinBuddies:

well lets see, one is 3 beer for 2.5 and one is 2 rum and cokes.. man yall are slack..... :beer-7687-1:

3 beers dont even get me past getting everything ready to wash it....... :drinkinBuddies:

I hold to 3 while washing, keeps me from falling off the dock. I do like to have a few more after sitting there looking at the boat.

Once a week we float her into the shallows by an island and I scrub the water line (with a Scotch-Brite Tub & Tile handled scrubber)while the Admiral wipes down the interior (mostly spider stuff). Our boat floats in a slip full time so the water line collects "scum" that needs to be scrubbed off for aesthetics and to avoid a build up. The rest is all on an "as needed" basis to keep up with bird poop, spider webs, food/drink spills, etc. and to make sure nothing gets ground-in to carpet, upholstery, or gelcoat. I usually will use a long handled brush to scrub the foredeck by dipping it in the lake and brushing each week too.

My wife and I take at least one day a week for just the two of us to get the cleaning done so the boat is ship-shape for guests ther rest of the week. We clean and then float and relax (without using $5 fuel). I also take pride at the gas dock when people ask if my four year old boat is NEW :rolleyes:

I washed my boat before I put it in the slip for the season. It has been a week today and it needs to be washed again. I would love to, but only if it would get above 49 degrees here! Going to head down after work tonight with the Admiral. We'll have to scrub this weekend rain or snow.

We clean her up after each use and then she is ready to go at a moments notice. We have learned to plan to end the day an hour earlier to include clean up time.

So one thing I notice is that while ethanol may be bad to power the boat, it appears to be essential to power the washer ...