pitch

How often do you wash your boat?

52 posts in this topic

So one thing I notice is that while ethanol may be bad to power the boat, it appears to be essential to power the washer ...

nice

When in salt, I wash and clean thoroughly after each use. When at the lake, we wipe her down with towels at the ramp. Good point to be ready for next use, I even fill the tank on the way home usually. FYI: I'll get 4 to 6 beers down while cleaning after saltwater use. :beer-7687-1::boating:

I just run mine thru the local car wash (self serve) obviously and spray down both my truck and boat/trailer at the same time, in and out in 30 mins tops.

Y'all can say what ya want about those huge sleeping quarters on the sea but I'd rather fish and have fun than be a slave to my boat.

If I want a bigger fish, I charter a deep sea excursion. Y'all can have those ¼ million $$ boats all you like, but if I had 1 I'd also have the cash to PAY someone to do that grunt work.

:beer-7687-1:

With all of the helpful feedback in this thread I took advantage of an overcast day yesterday and washed my boat. As I noted before, for cleaning, my marina drops the boat onto a rack and you're ready to go. So, I snagged a deck brush, took most of my microfiber clothes/towels and my Bucket of Babe's and gave her a good shine. I'll probably start an every other week regimen if for anything, to share a few beers with my new found marina buddies. I only washed her this week so I could get my process mapped out. Now that I'm ready, I'll probably toss a wax coat on the next time I shine her up.

Thanks for all of the feedback. It was very helpful and my 216 SSi thanks you.

5619956603_a81f9d4204_z.jpg

My 220 SSi lives in the garage, so it stays fairly clean. That said, it gets washed every time it is dirty.

Seats/interior get cleaned each trip, carpets hung to dry. Only takes about an hour to put the boat away.

brick

It takes me about 2.5 hours and 3 beers to scrub and dry.

I'm at roughly the same ratio -- one beer per hour keeps me motivated.

:P

FYI: I'll get 4 to 6 beers down while cleaning after saltwater use.

I grew up in Sumner, so... yes... I'm not surprised that someone from Puyallup needs a 6-er to wipe down their boat!

:P

We put 'em away big-time back in the late 1970's. 4 guys to a pony keg on a hot day at Lake Tapps back then... pretty standard.

Mine stays in a climate controlled garage and I wash it every time we go out. I wax it every other time we go boating I polish it 3 times a summer. The interior gets a does of the blue seat soap stuff and Mequires UV protectant every time we go out or the kid makes a mess. The carpet is out of the boat unless we are using it. It get a quick vac from a wet vac we bought just for the boat.

Just recently I have begun using deck wash on the bow and deck because they were getting dangerous fro the wax washing :-) My wife got a good chuckle everytime I retrieved the anchor.

My wife says if we get a bigger boat were gonna need more kids to keep up with my regimine. I am starting to calm down a bit though as I notice all my other friends get by with much less and have just as much fun. Not to mention my daughter is getting to the age were she is extremly fun to hangout with and play so if the opportunity arisses I take it and the cars boats or whatever can wait. :-)

I run mine mostly in a river and usually a good rinse will do the trick. I'll probably wash it every other time this year unless it has any residue left on the hull. Clean when needed kind of thing.

It's stored inside, not climate controlled but very little dust and we spray regularly for bugs so I don't have to worry much about that.

Guess I'm pretty careful with food too. Kids don't get any colored drinks, plain potato chips, apples, and sandwiches mostly when we're onboard. Sometimes fried chicken too. If it hits the floor, it gets picked up. Keeps it clean that way and teaches them to be responsible also.

We put 'em away big-time back in the late 1970's. 4 guys to a pony keg on a hot day at Lake Tapps back then... pretty standard.

These days you need a 6-er before you try to go to Lake Tapps on a nice day, It's crazy up there :beer-7687-1:

These days you need a 6-er before you try to go to Lake Tapps on a nice day, It's crazy up there :beer-7687-1:

I wash my boat inside-out after each use, wax 2-3 times a year

I'm fortunate in that my marina will place my boat on a rack so that I can wash it anytime I want. As a first time boat owner, though, I'm not sure how often it needs to be washed. We wipe down the interior after every use but how often should I give the exterior a good cleaning?

I typically wash my cars once a week and wax them once a quarter - yes, I'm OCD about my transportation. However, I didn't think a boat needed to be washed on a weekly basis.

Thanks in advance for the help.

We wipe the boat down after we get it back to the boat shed then wipe it down with Ducky boat quick clean and wax. Works pretty good and does not take a lot to apply or remove.

Washed down and dried every time I go out and every time I return

Wipe it down with McGuire’s quick wax before I go out

Buffed and polished and waxed 2x a year

Wipe down the seats each week with a uv vinyl protector

Had quad bypass 3 years so I do this as part of my exercise

Working with your arms above your heart (my dr. says) is very good for you.

Harry

Since a lot of you are talking about waxing it has me thinking: when should I wax my boat for the first time? It came off the assembly line in March of this year and I took delivery early April. I've had it in the water ~10 times already. Is my brand new boat ready for a wax?

Reason I ask is because I'm big on car detailing and I typically wait about 3-6 months after getting a new car to wax it. I do this simply because the paint needs time to properly cure after all of the dealer prep, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I clean and wax mine before it gets put away for the winter, That way in the spring its ready to go.

Then I wax it some time in July again, mine sits inside a pole barn, so I just go over there for a couple hours at a time and do a section.

As for the frist wax sometime this summer will be fine,IMO.

The cleaning sollution I posted earlier gets the water spots and grime off but is diluted enough that it does take off the wax.

matt

I clean and wax mine before it gets put away for the winter, That way in the spring its ready to go.

Then I wax it some time in July again, mine sits inside a pole barn, so I just go over there for a couple hours at a time and do a section.

As for the frist wax sometime this summer will be fine,IMO.

The cleaning sollution I posted earlier gets the water spots and grime off but is diluted enough that it does take off the wax.

matt

Thanks Matt. I'll try and get a coat on it in the next couple of weeks.

I hold to 3 while washing, keeps me from falling off the dock. I do like to have a few more after sitting there looking at the boat.

Mike, I don't count the beers because I use those strictly for hydration before I start drinking rum and coke. :oregonian_winesmiley::drinkinBuddies:

When I was shopping for brands, Regal made a big deal about their decals being under the topcoat. When I was wiping down the side of my brand new Chap, I noticed that it appeared the decal was starting to fray and/or peel back a bit. Can anyone confirm that our decals are on top of the topcoat? If so, has anyone else had this issue? Mine is a brand new 2011 206 SSi and has roughly 35 hours on her. She's stored on a lift and covered dock, for what its worth.

I try to at least wipe mine down every time I go out. I keep mine in dry storage, and I have racks to wash the boat before it gets loaded into the water by the fork lift. I use a spray bottle with a solution of water and mequiars gelcoat wash and do the inside/outside. I also use 3M clean shine and wax spray on the outside of the boat while we are at the sandbar to give it some shine in between each use. Goes on quickly and easy to wipe and cleans too. I'm pretty OCD about my vehicles, but have been realizing that it's a boat and if people come on it, it gets dirty.

The stickers on my vapor black 226 are on top of the gelcoat. Some of mine are peeling a little due to it hitting the trailer guide posts, not happy about it. I wish Chap would have made the decals painted or under the gelcoat.

The stripe on mine is on top of the gelcoat.

Headed out to the boat in a little bit to wash it for the weekend. :)

Wash it every 2 weeks approximately but do some spot cleaning in between.

After every use i'll give it a good wash down and wipe down and a through cleaning once a month. Drives my wife and friends crazy so now I just have them all leave and I do it on my own. B)

My boat is in salt water friday night till Sunday and then pulled an rack stored . Wash it after every use while it sits in the water with Salt Away. Wash the hull one a week when it gets pulled

After every use i'll give it a good wash down and wipe down and a through cleaning once a month. Drives my wife and friends crazy so now I just have them all leave and I do it on my own. B)

Eh just keep doing it. It took me 7 years before they just A: gave up on me, B: excepted me for who I am, C: whisper about how crazy that guy is always going over his boat with rags and a bag full of squirt bottles :-)

I don't mind the stares and remarks, because at least once a day someone asks "when did I buy my boat" and I get to reply "5 years ago" Always get asked what year it is and how nice it looks. The family whether they admit it or not have fun when they can lay all over it without the worry of mildew or sour oders, and even though on many trips there are multiple boats that are even sometimes bigger my boat seems to be the happening spot.

Eh just keep doing it. It took me 7 years before they just A: gave up on me, B: excepted me for who I am, C: whisper about how crazy that guy is always going over his boat with rags and a bag full of squirt bottles :-)

I don't mind the stares and remarks, because at least once a day someone asks "when did I buy my boat" and I get to reply "5 years ago" Always get asked what year it is and how nice it looks. The family whether they admit it or not have fun when they can lay all over it without the worry of mildew or sour oders, and even though on many trips there are multiple boats that are even sometimes bigger my boat seems to be the happening spot.

Same story in my house. For a while, I thought I was one of the few, but then I met Futzin' and learned how he got his name. I am almost as dedicated as him. There must be many of us. Simply love spending time on care and cleaning.